About a week ago, my digital crown seemed hard to move. I was scrolling through something and it just didn't feel right. I thought it was broke. In the course of troubleshooting, I found a work around where I had to put my finger on the serrations just right. Then it got just a little better but didn't feel right. The I got to wondering if I even remembered what right was, because it was so new.

So I went to the Apple Store to try a new one to see how easy the digital crown feels. The Apple guy spun mine one time and said it just had some crud in there and next time I wash my hands, run some cold water over the crown. Sure enough, that fixed it. It now spins smooth and easily with only a light touch.

I don't shower with the watch on and it doesn't normally get wet when I wash my hands, so this was the first time I've ever ran water over it.
    05-16-2015 07:26 AM
    05-16-2015 08:41 AM
    Guess it goes to show, we all need a bath every now & then

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my  iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    05-16-2015 09:19 AM
    Yep, you can run it under warm water to free it of crud build up. No soaps though.
    05-16-2015 09:24 AM
    Thank you for this tip, I'll keep this in mind for future references.
    05-16-2015 09:40 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience. This tip is well appreciated.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    05-16-2015 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the tip.
    05-17-2015 04:04 PM
    Works for me. Thank you for the tip. You saved me a trip to the Apple Store!
    05-30-2015 09:57 AM
    hmmm...so a new feature of the watch is a early shower detecter..ishower
    05-31-2015 11:17 AM
    You would think that the area by the digital crown would be a perfect place for water to enter into the body of the watch. Considering Apple claims it's not water proof I find it odd that a tech would recommend running water over that area of the watch. My digital crown also is a bit clunky to spin/turn but I hesitate to run water over it, none the less - thanks for the tip
    06-04-2015 02:29 PM
    There is an Apple support note that explains how to clean the crown with running water so it is definitely ok. I can't post a link apparently since my post count is too low but you can search Apple's site for HT204639 or "Get help with the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch".

If the Digital Crown gets stuck or won’t move, it might be because of dirt or debris. If you find substances like dust or lotion around the Digital Crown, follow these steps to clean, and repeat as needed:
    • Turn off your Apple Watch and remove it from the charger.
    • If you have a leather band, remove it from your Apple Watch.
    • Hold the Digital Crown under lightly running, warm, fresh water from a faucet for 10 to 15 seconds.
    • Continuously turn and press the Digital Crown as water runs over the small gap between the crown and the housing.
    • Dry your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cleaning cloth.
    Last edited by thoughtsimple; 06-04-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    mlawrnce likes this.
    06-04-2015 03:29 PM
    There is an Apple support note that explains how to clean the crown with running water so it is definitely ok. I can't post a link apparently since my post count is too low but you can search Apple's site for HT204639 or "Get help with the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch".

f the Digital Crown gets stuck or won’t move, it might be because of dirt or debris. If you find substances like dust or lotion around the Digital Crown, follow these steps to clean, and repeat as needed:
    • Turn off your Apple Watch and remove it from the charger.
    • If you have a leather band, remove it from your Apple Watch.
    • Hold the Digital Crown under lightly running, warm, fresh water from a faucet for 10 to 15 seconds.
    • Continuously turn and press the Digital Crown as water runs over the small gap between the crown and the housing.
    • Dry your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cleaning cloth.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204639
    mlawrnce likes this.
    06-04-2015 05:08 PM