Apple Watch apps keep re-installing, anyone else?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
So I keep telling apps to NOT install on my Apple Watch, but they keep re-installing themselves. I "think" this seems to be happening whenever an app gets an update. Seems like they are pushed back to the Watch whenever an update is triggered.

Anyone else having this issue? Trying to get a feel for whether or not anyone else is experiencing this, or if it's just me and maybe something I'm doing?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I "think" this seems to be happening whenever an app gets an update. Seems like they are pushed back to the Watch whenever an update is triggered.
While I don't have my own watch yet (Ships in June...) - everything I've read indicates if an app has watch compatibility, if you update the app on the phone, it gets pushed to the watch too... so - working as designed...

Millbrook

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi (new to these forums) -- I received my Watch the day before yesterday. I have automatic installation of apps turned off.

This morning I discovered that the NY Times Cooking app had installed itself on my Watch when it updated on my iPhone. Took me 3 tries to uninstall it.

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem and it's annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so difficult to get the home screen back to the way you want it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I keep telling apps to NOT install on my Apple Watch, but they keep re-installing themselves. I "think" this seems to be happening whenever an app gets an update. Seems like they are pushed back to the Watch whenever an update is triggered.

Anyone else having this issue? Trying to get a feel for whether or not anyone else is experiencing this, or if it's just me and maybe something I'm doing?

I've yet to experience anything like that, but just to see if i can replicate the problem, I've just deleted a little used app and see if it'll reinstall with an update or otherwise on my Watch.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, happening for me too ... and not "working as designed" since I have automatically download apps off, although clearly Apple set this flag for new apps and not updates.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is the setting on the watch just stopping the Watch from downloading/installing updates on the watch itself without regard to the phone? Not having one yet, I guess 'working as designed' is a premature conclusion on my part...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi (new to these forums) -- I received my Watch the day before yesterday. I have automatic installation of apps turned off.

This morning I discovered that the NY Times Cooking app had installed itself on my Watch when it updated on my iPhone. Took me 3 tries to uninstall it.

This is irking the heck out of me because I can't replicate the problem. I've had a few apps update over the past few days that provide support for the Watch and yet, the ones that updated and were not installed on my Watch are still not installed on it, thankfully.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the setting on the watch just stopping the Watch from downloading/installing updates? Not having one yet, I guess 'working as designed' is a premature conclusion on my part...

I don't know what to tell you, my friend. The only apps that are on my Watch are the ones i want on it. None are installing, uninstalling or reinstalling on its own.

Millbrook

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Would people please post which apps are having this re-installing issue? Just wondering if this is a problem with the system overall, or only with certain apps.

For me, it was the NY Times Cooking app. All other apps have been well-behaved -- that is, they have not installed themselves on my Watch without permission.

Millbrook

May 15, 2015
Visit site
It happened to me again today. The United Airlines app installed itself on my watch when it updated on my iPhone, despite the do-not-automatically-install-apps setting.

midnighte13

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The issue seems to occur when an iPhone app updates. The update is also pushing the watch app as well. I suspect the issue is with the Apple Watch app on iPhone, likely to be fixed with the next iOS update.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The issue seems to occur when an iPhone app updates. The update is also pushing the watch app as well. I suspect the issue is with the Apple Watch app on iPhone, likely to be fixed with the next iOS update.

I'm waiting to see if it happens again, after the watch update.

freediverx

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue here, and Apple Support feigns ignorance about the issue. The Watch OS update did not address the issue.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro