Outdoor coaching in the sun and the apple watch

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is a question one of my fellow soccer coaches and I were just discussing which made me wonder what others thought.

He asked if I thought the SG sport with black band would get too hot being on our wrists all day in the sun throughout the summer (we can be on the field in the sun up to 6 hours a day)? And the second part was if the white band and lighter color watch would be better for us.

Thoughts?

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Do non-smart black watches and bands get too hot??

Lol....I guess they do. Was just more concerned about ones with a lithium battery on my wrist. I think we are more concerned with the heat in regards to how warm the band (material basically) can get on your wrist in the sun. We wear cloth bands now while coaching. Was hoping the material apple used would not act as a giant heat sink.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So after reading that, what are your thoughts? Would it be better to go with the silver body sport with white band instead of the space grey and black band to help reduce possible overheating when outside in the sun for extended periods of time?

It probably would not make much difference either way. The watch will get too hot. But, as it says, if it experiences any of these signs:
Charging times might increase, or charging might stop
The display might dim
A temperature warning screen might appear
Data transfers could pause or slow down
Apps might close

Just remove the watch and put it in a cooler place, if possible. If it happens a lot, leave it home. Does the iPhone get too hot at practice? Do you get a heat warning sign? This is virgin territory. Try and see time.

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
It probably would not make much difference either way. The watch will get too hot. But, as it says, if it experiences any of these signs:
Charging times might increase, or charging might stop
The display might dim
A temperature warning screen might appear
Data transfers could pause or slow down
Apps might close

Just remove the watch and put it in a cooler place, if possible. If it happens a lot, leave it home. Does the iPhone get too hot at practice? Do you get a heat warning sign? This is virgin territory. Try and see time.

I leave my iPhone on the bench. I have it back side up with a white case. One of my older iPhones, I believe a 4s, I had a black case on and left it on the bench. The battery did overheat and began to expand, pushing off the back cover. So thus my dilemma with the watch. I wanted to use it as a stopwatch during practice and also to get my texts throughout the day. Thus my concern of temperature.

ela1n3ko

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Since black attracts the sun more than white, your watch will most likely get hotter. I am also sure you are going to get a tan line from your watch. But, whatever watch you wear, you will most likely get a tan line if you are out in the sun for 6 + hours. I'm also thinking that since the apple watch is different from other plain watches, wouldn't it heat up if its in the sun too long? just like our smart phones? Just a random thought...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711