My wife received her watch a couple of weeks ago. In that time, beyond giving me hell because mine hasn't arrived yet, she has been using the watch to track her fitness activities such as indoor walking, elliptical, strength training, indoor cycling, outdoor walking, etc. The other day she asked me what she needs to do to see her heart rate while she is exercising. I told her that once the activity tracking has started for whatever category she has chosen, she can swipe left or right along the bottom half of the display to change the metric that is displayed including heart rate, calories, etc.

She told me this morning that there was no way to view the heart rate while exercising, and I told her that there is (and re-explained how to swipe to display the metric she wants to see). Turns out that we were both right (or wrong, depending on your perspective). For elliptical, cycling, and other (as I recall), the heart rate can be shown during the exercise. For anything related to walking or running (indoor or outdoor), however, the heart rate can not be shown.

Is this consistent with what others are finding? Anyone have a guess as to why heart rate can not be shown for anything related to walking or running but can for the other exercise tracking options?
    05-11-2015 10:07 AM
    I have not noticed this behavior, but I’ll test it this week to see if I get the same results.
    05-11-2015 10:11 AM
    And is there any way to view your heart rate at a certain time if you're not using the exercise app?
    For instance, I just completed a run using the exercise (outdoor run) app, and it shows my average HR. I'd like to see my peak HR during the workout. Also, I didn't use the exercise app yesterday but was credited with exercise for some outdoor work I was doing. Can I view my HR during that period?
    This is one of the few things that the Microsoft Band has over the Watch, at least for the moment. I can view my HR at any point with the web MSFT health site where the Band data gets uploaded too. Also, during a run, I get very detailed HR data for the duration of the activity.
    IMO, if Apple wants the Watch to be considered a real exercise tracker, it needs to get much more granular with data like this.
    05-11-2015 10:20 AM
    I have not noticed this behavior, but I’ll test it this week to see if I get the same results.
    Thanks.
    05-11-2015 10:23 AM
    And is there any way to view your heart rate at a certain time if you're not using the exercise app?
    For instance, I just completed a run using the exercise (outdoor run) app, and it shows my average HR. I'd like to see my peak HR during the workout. Also, I didn't use the exercise app yesterday but was credited with exercise for some outdoor work I was doing. Can I view my HR during that period?
    This is one of the few things that the Microsoft Band has over the Watch, at least for the moment. I can view my HR at any point with the web MSFT health site where the Band data gets uploaded too. Also, during a run, I get very detailed HR data for the duration of the activity.
    IMO, if Apple wants the Watch to be considered a real exercise tracker, it needs to get much more granular with data like this.
    If you look in the activity app on your phone or in the health app it will give you a breakdown of the workout and show each heart rate reading taken. If you just want to check your current heart rate you use the heartbeat glance.
    05-11-2015 11:30 AM
    I posted my question on MacRumors, and someone has already confirmed that they see the same as my wife and I do: strangely enough, heart rate is missing as a metric for indoor and outdoor running or walking, but is available as a metric for the other categories. Very odd, and I am hoping it's a bug or an oversight and not actually intentional.

I would still welcome other confirmation and/or opinions on why this might be working as designed (although I don't believe it is).
    05-11-2015 11:42 AM
    This is odd. I use outdoor walking daily and heart rate is one of the selections when I swipe the lower field. My wife uses that as part of her default setup in outdoor walk as well. She has an issue with high HR and needs to be careful going up hills and whatnot. Now what we don't get is max heart rate in the summary which sucks.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Erieg; 05-11-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    05-11-2015 11:52 AM
    I use outdoor walking daily and heart rate is one of the selections when I swipe the lower field.
    Based on a response on MacRumors, it looks like she has power-saving mode turned on. In that case, the watch no longer uses the heart rate sensor for walking or running, but will use it for the other activities. I will confirm tonight.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Much appreciated.
    05-11-2015 12:04 PM
    I sent my wife a message about power-saving mode and she checked her phone. The setting was turned on, so she turned it off and then started an indoor walking activity. The heart rate was an option on the watch, so it looks like everything is working as expected now.

My wife and I appreciate everyone's help.

Here's an article about exercise tracking that references power-saving mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204523
    dianahk, PrincessKick and Sugrat like this.
    05-11-2015 12:35 PM
    Also, someone changed the title of my post, and misspelled "wife's" so now it looks like I have more than one wife and they all share one watch. One wife makes me happy enough, so can someone fix the title of my thread, please?

Thanks.
    LVMHgirl and 21stNow like this.
    05-11-2015 12:39 PM
    Also, someone changed the title of my post, and misspelled "wife's" so now it looks like I have more than one wife and they all share one watch. One wife makes me happy enough, so can someone fix the title of my thread, please?

Thanks.
    Done
    05-11-2015 03:37 PM
    My wife thanks you.
    Just_Me_D and LVMHgirl like this.
    05-11-2015 03:41 PM