Getting Fit and Losing/Maintaining Weight with the Apple Watch

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just received my apple watch Friday evening. I have used the Fitbit and MyFitnessPal to help me lose weight and maintain my weight. Now I am findng some apps integrate with the watch better than others. I have tracked activity, food, water, and sleep. Now I am finding what works best with the iPhone and watch.

I like that LoseIt shows up in glances and it looks nicer on the watch than MyFitnessPal. I am still comparing both of these. I am trying SleepCycle for sleep tracking. So far I am liking the activity app and Workout. I know they are still becoming familiar with me. I used Workout Other for Yoga and it seemed to track calorie burn with the heart rate well.

Activity is helping me look at being active as more than just steps. This was one of the limitations with Fitbit. I am not sure how I feel about the loss of community yet. Right now I am figuring out what works best for me.

What health, fitness, wellness apps are you using that you like and integrate well with the watch?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've been trying stuff out too. There's a good thread for runners I recommend you read too. I use MyFitnessPal to track meals and calories, and I do a combination of P90X and running for cardio/strength. I use the P90X app to track workouts, weights used, etc. I get my daily reminders of workouts on the Watch through that app. No Watch app for that yet. MFP is pretty limited on the Watch - I can see how many calories I have left, but can't even track water consumption. I'm sure it will improve with time. I don't expect to put in any significant things, since the Watch designs should be for quick things, but I like the idea of a quick water check. I tried Gulps for water tracking, and that Watch app works. Just would rather track water in the same place.

I've been using the Watch and Workout app for my P90X workouts, walks, and runs. I like the heartrate tracking, to know when I'm in my zone, so I know to "bring it" or back off a bit. My max heart rate is 180 at my age, but I was at 183 yesterday, so I took a quick breather before gettting back into it. That's the kind of feedback that is great. I've used the "other" workout for anything not specifically listed in the Workout app, and it's been cool. I like filling the circles throughout the day. To me, it's the best motivating app out there.

cessex

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
A coworker and I are actually in the middle of a special report for the TV station I work for focusing on getting in better shape with technology. I've lost 60 using MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, and Healthbook to tie it together. My wife lost 110 lbs doing the same thing.

Our stories don't focus on the  Watch...but just tech in general.

I think living in the video game age, using things like the watch...or another fitness band gives you the instant progress...so it's almost like you are leveling up.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
A coworker and I are actually in the middle of a special report for the TV station I work for focusing on getting in better shape with technology. I've lost 60 using MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, and Healthbook to tie it together. My wife lost 110 lbs doing the same thing.

Our stories don't focus on the  Watch...but just tech in general.

I think living in the video game age, using things like the watch...or another fitness band gives you the instant progress...so it's almost like you are leveling up.

60 pounds is an impressive feat! Congrats! I lost about that much 3 years ago.