Apple Watch supplier allegedly experiencing Taptic trouble

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Taptic Engine Issues?

Apple has identified a flaw in the Taptic Engine provided by their initial production source, where some of the parts were failing over time. This has led to quality control slowing down the release to capture the devices with the issue. Apple has now switched to a secondary source producing an engine not having this issue. Here's a link to a Recode article on this issue. Mac Daily News is also reporting this issue now. The initial source appears to have come from the WSJ.

Apple Watch Defect Caught Before It Reached Consumers | Re/code

So, how many of you early recipients are having Taptic Engine issues (weak or no taps)? Please post your observations here.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Taptic Engine Issues?

An article I read about it stated that none of the defective units were shipped.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

So we'll all be receiving our watches later than scheduled?

Not necessarily. My shipping times moved up a couple of weeks, but we'll see if I actually receive the Watch during the new time period.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

The original secondary supplier is a Japanese company. The initial primary supplier with the faulty haptic parts is Chinese. Apple has ramped up production with the Japanese company.

While this story is just now hitting the news, it appears Apple caught this quality defect early enough to switch suppliers for mass production, but not soon enough to not affect their launch plans. This explains why Apple's ship dates for preorders slipped to 4-6 weeks only two minutes after preorders began, and why stores won't have any inventory until preorders are met. They're in clear catchup mode now using the alternate components.

My reason for starting this thread was to hear from those who have already received their watches to see how well the Taptic feedback is working for them. I've read a few posts where some have reported weak taps, even when set to prominent mode. I'm just wondering how common this issue is with watches currently in the wild.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some solid info as to why shipping delays have plagued most of those who ordered.

Apple Watch supplier allegedly experiencing Taptic trouble | iMore

The Taptic Engine is what Apple uses to power the the tap-like haptics in the Apple Watch and MacBook.
According to a report, one of the two suppliers of the part for Apple Watch is facing quality control issues resulting in manufacturing defects ? Taptic Engines that rapidly stop producing haptic feedback. Time was I'd link to reports like these from major business publications without a second thought, but after years of erroneous device delay rumors, misleading Apple Pay headlines, and other questionable coverage from what should be trusted papers of record, I've learned to take some time and look into things first.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What I've seen reported is one of the builders had quality issues - so they had to use the production output of only one of two builders of the part and no faulty devices were shipped to end users...

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

It still works for me. But it is pretty weak.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ on Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2