iMore confirms Apple Watch and tattoos are a no go

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If it does read on another part of the body with no ink one could see if there is a difference in the reading with their ink.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have tested my FitBit on my arms. Legs. And it works just fine. Also the further up the arm the better FitBit says. Closer to heart so more accurate.

lexic

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
If it does read on another part of the body with no ink one could see if there is a difference in the reading with their ink.

I did this just now. The readings were within 2 BPM.

lexic

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
This video shows other features having issues with ink.
Lexic are you experiencing any of this?

Nope. I unlock it when I put it on and it functions normally. Not one issue at all.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was concerned when I ordered it. I tried researching but could not find any info. I feel lucky that I haven't had issues.

I haven't ordered yet. I didn't even think about a potential problem. But I'll still get it and see what's up.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't ordered yet. I didn't even think about a potential problem. But I'll still get it and see what's up.

Yeah, you always have your 14-day window anyway. Hopefully it won't come to that though since Lexi isn't having any issues and her wrist is more covered than yours.

skittlepop

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Mom always said, "if you get tattoos, just make sure they don't peek out from your clothes." I thought she was old fashioned, turns out she was forward thinking! Lol.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that I got my wrist tattoo on my non-watch-wearing arm! While I don't have an Apple Watch, I may want to use something with a heart rate sensor in the future.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
I have tattoos on my forearm and they do not go all the way to my wrist for professional reasons. But mine have enough open skin that the heart rate sensor senses the skin and they do not interfere when I moved it further up my arm to check.

But in the article they depict someone with sleeves which have a lot of blacks and heavy packed color. but I have to imagine this will be a problem for any heart rate sensors and not just the apple watch. I know they cannot fix the sensor in an update but perhaps tweak the sensor so it will at least allow to it to tell its connected. So that it does not cause problems for people using apple pay on the watch.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal