iMore confirms Apple Watch and tattoos are a no go

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Watch, heart rate sensors, and wrist tattoos: What you need to know! | iMore

So what are your guys thoughts? Personally I wasn't going to get a Apple Watch regardless but if I did I would not be happy to find out the heart rate sensor does not play nicely with tattoos.
I assume Apple tested this, but it seems odd to me. That is a potentially large user base that can't use a huge function of the watch.
Hopefully they can get it cleared up in an update or two.

PS: Leave the your tattoos are gross and you will never get a job comments at the door because IDGAF.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The Apple Watch, heart rate sensors, and wrist tattoos: What you need to know! | iMore

So what are your guys thoughts? Personally I wasn't going to get a Apple Watch regardless but if I did I would not be happy to find out the heart rate sensor does not play nicely with tattoos.
I assume Apple tested this, but it seems odd to me. That is a potentially large user base that can't use a huge function of the watch.
Hopefully they can get it cleared up in an update or two.

PS: Leave the your tattoos are gross and you will never get a job comments at the door because IDGAF.

When you say an update or two are you talking software updates? Because that's pretty much a hardware issue so I wouldn't hold out any hope for the first gen.

"Large user base" I think is a stretch. I don't have stats in front of me but I'm sure a big chunk of the population doesn't have wrist tattoos so I don't really think Apple cares much.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that anyone would think a sensor that relies on reflected light waves would think that tattoo ink would NOT impact the light reflection and the sensor's capabilities...

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that anyone would think a sensor that relies on reflected light waves would think that tattoo ink would NOT impact the light reflection and the sensor's capabilities...

Thanks for the nice way of calling me uneducated. Appreciate that.

Seriously though how you became a moderator is beyond me. I cannot have any post that you don't respond to with some passive aggressive or snide comment.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that it can be fixed with an update because if you read the literature from Apple regarding how the heart rate sensor works (it uses green and red lights to reflect off of the blood flow basically) then tattoos sound like they'd be a fundamental problem in the course of operation.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
When you say an update or two are you talking software updates? Because that's pretty much a hardware issue so I wouldn't hold out any hope for the first gen.

"Large user base" I think is a stretch. I don't have stats in front of me but I'm sure a big chunk of the population doesn't have wrist tattoos so I don't really think Apple cares much.

That is why I said "potentially". You guys say "I doubt apple cares" a lot on here. I think anyone willing to give them money they care about. The watch aimed at fitness people, many weightlifters have lots of tattoos. It may be "small" in the big picture, but I am hoping it is something they can get resolved if not through software in future products.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure that it can be fixed with an update because if you read the literature from Apple regarding how the heart rate sensor works (it uses green and red lights to reflect off of the blood flow basically) then tattoos sound like they'd be a fundamental problem in the course of operation.

I haven't read up on it much. but how does this not effect someone with darker skin? I am sure I missed this thread somewhere. It must be dark skin pigment reacts differently than the artificial ink color.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read up on it much. but how does this not effect someone with darker skin? I am sure I missed this thread somewhere. It must be dark skin pigment reacts differently than the artificial ink color.

I would imagine that even with darker skin that it still has a natural translucency that would essentially be annihilated by solid ink.

I can't take this comment seriously, sorry.

Don't take it personally. His grumpiness has been a topic in other threads as well, so don't think it's anything you did. You simply didn't read up on exactly how the sensor works, along with every other Apple Watch owner with the exception of maybe five of us who were curious.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]In short, Apple uses various spectrums of light to track the blood flow through your skin. Anything that reduces that light's reflectiveness — ink pigmentation within your skin, for example — can interfere with that sensor.[/INFO]

Nobody is being grumpy, lol. It was a question and a statement was given.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't take it personally. His grumpiness has been a topic in other threads as well, so don't think it's anything you did.
"Grumpiness"?? Are you being ageist? I simply and mater of factly stated my opinion based on knowledge gained in reading about the sensors. Sorry if that bothers you.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]In short, Apple uses various spectrums of light to track the blood flow through your skin. Anything that reduces that light's reflectiveness — ink pigmentation within your skin, for example — can interfere with that sensor.[/INFO]

Nobody is being grumpy, lol. It was a question and a statement was given.

I disagree. I have gotten private messages from other users asking me what his issue is. I am not the only one clearly. iMore forums have not been a pleasant place for me as of late, but if you guys want to deny it you may be losing more and more active members. But whatever I am over it.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Illustrator Joe,

If you wish to discuss this further in private, please do so with me or our Community Manager. Otherwise continue with the discussion of the thread topic.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the nice way of calling me uneducated. Appreciate that.

Seriously though how you became a moderator is beyond me. I cannot have any post that you don't respond to with some passive aggressive or snide comment.

Check the attitude, man. No one called you anything. Clearly you are looking for a fight. Not going to find it here.

Moving on.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That is why I said "potentially". You guys say "I doubt apple cares" a lot on here. I think anyone willing to give them money they care about. The watch aimed at fitness people, many weightlifters have lots of tattoos. It may be "small" in the big picture, but I am hoping it is something they can get resolved if not through software in future products.

There are plenty of people that say "I wish the iPhone did this and that and if it did I'd switch in a heartbeat." They're willing to spend money but it doesn't mean Apple will cater to them. All I said was don't hold out any hope that it will be resolved with the current gen watch. Future watch? Yeah, maybe. But that's really all you can say in this discussion.

And the last thing weightlifters care about is their heartbeat during a workout.

Enjoy the rest of your day, Joe. :)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm out with the heart rate sensor.

8b26e3000cf998065a8b2f078285fd18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative