Exercise Tracking

garymar

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know how exercise tracking works? I worked out on a treadmill for 45 minutes yesterday and I only received 10 minutes for exercise credit. If I look at the Activity App, I see the time and my average heart rate was 130 bpm. I am 55 years old, so my target range should be 115 - 140. (This is based on 220 - 55 = 165 max, 70% for the min and 85% for the max). So, its seem like my heart rate should of been high enough to fall into the exercise category.

I trying to complete my daily rings, so I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the exercise ring works.

Thanks,
Gary

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I have noticed based on my usage, exercise in the activity app is more like steps and walking. I hit the exercise goal when working a 10 hour shift and actually had 200 mins, but I did not hit it with my 50 minute workout yesterday or on Friday. I don't know of this is how it is designed or if it will be fixed in future updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pack3rback3r

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I use the Workout App and everything shows up correctly in the Activity app. I received credit for my time, calories, etc. I played Tennis 2 days in a row, but I had to use the "other" workout option within the Workout App since there is not an option for Tennis. There is running, outdoor running, cycling, etc. in the Workout App.

Merlady

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues as well. I do a 30 minute "Indoor Cycling" an 20 minutes "Other" for my weightlifting. The Activity monitor only shows 24 out of my 30 minute goal. Am I only getting credit for minutes that I'm in my target heart rate range? Need more info on how activities are tracked.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues as well. I do a 30 minute "Indoor Cycling" an 20 minutes "Other" for my weightlifting. The Activity monitor only shows 24 out of my 30 minute goal. Am I only getting credit for minutes that I'm in my target heart rate range? Need more info on how activities are tracked.

It is only giving you credit for when your heart rate is elevated. I would like to see Apple publish more details on their algorithms. But they are age, weight, and gender based. I set my age to be younger to compare to my actual age and did the same workout just to see the change in the data.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This article describes it all well:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

Bottom line: your heart rate (and therefore calorie burn) will be tracked by the Watch every 10 min throughout the day. When you begin any kind of dedicated physical activity, track it with the Workout app. If the activity isn't listed, use Other. Only activity that falls within the range of 70%-100%+) of your target heart rate will get credit in the 30 min workout ring. Mayo clinic says take 220, subtract your age, and that's your 100%. Then multiply that by .7, and that's your 70% range. I'm 40 years old, so I know my range is 126-180. I have used the workout app twice for outdoor runs, and a third time, for a P90X workout under "Other". It showed what I believe was very accurate data.

Last edited:

Merlady

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info and link. So "Every minute of movement that equals or exceeds a brisk walk, whether it’s working out or playing with your kids, counts toward your Exercise goal". Just the information I was looking for!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen