How far can the Apple Watch stay connected w/ your device?

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen anything about this in a review yet. I'm pretty sure the watch is deemed useless when "out of range", but how far is that?

Can someone with a watch in hand, test that out?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ on Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an Watch, but the range for BT 4.0 is approximately 100 meters (330 feet +/-). Not sure what the real world limitations will be.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an Watch, but the range for BT 4.0 is approximately 100 meters (330 feet +/-). Not sure what the real world limitations will be.

Whoa, thank you. I hope that distance stays true to the watch, that's quite a flexible range.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
While the Bluetooth Smart LE official range is ~100m, for practical purposes it's around 30 ft, dependent upon the devices paired. Originally the standard was, I believe, designed for connecting devices over just a few feet (keyboards, mice, headsets, etc.).

Remember, if you have WiFi in your home, and your iPhone is connected to it, your watch should use the iPhone's WiFi hotspot to connect. This should mean that you could put your iPhone in its dock when you get home, then rely on the watch around the house, when you didn't need the larger screen and keyboard capability. I'd really like to hear from some new Apple Watch users who could test out how this actually works.

I know the Apple Watch has both Bluetooth and WiFi capability. My assumption has been that the watch will rely on Bluetooth except when the iPhone connects to a WiFi network, then switch to WiFi. Since there's nothing I've read yet in the user guide about configuring the Apple Watch for WiFi, it must be automatic through the Bluetooth paired iPhone, and that suggests to me it's using the iPhone's WiFi hotspot. If that's the case, a simple check of the iPhone's WiFi hotspot connections in the Settings Menu on the iPhone should confirm that.

happyalice

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I tested this somewhat yesterday. My phone was on charger on 2nd floor, and I was on first floor about 50 feet away on the other side of the house. iPhone 6 was connected to wifi. Connectivity was intermittent, but as soon as I went into the kitchen, ~30-35', it picked back up.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks for the info and testing this out. Glad the range works pretty good depending on housing construction.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
According to Ren wifi is supposed to work. I tested today where I was in wifi but not bt range. The glance said connected to phone. Phone calls fail. Message send fails. Message received worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
First, let me provide you some precursory information: On the first floor of my house I have an AirPort Express, and on the second floor I have an AirPort Extreme.

I can be anywhere in my house or outside--close to the house--and my Apple Watch works without issue, though a little bit slower when outside. However, when I'm not on my network, the range between the iPhone and Apple Watch need to be approximately 30 - 50 feet apart (depending on what is between them).

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
First, let me provide you some precursory information: On the first floor of my house I have an AirPort Express, and on the second floor I have an AirPort Extreme.

I can be anywhere in my house or outside--close to the house--and my Apple Watch works without issue, though a little bit slower when outside. However, when I'm not on my network, the range between the iPhone and Apple Watch need to be approximately 30 - 50 feet apart (depending on what is between them).

Thanks for feedback. Can you define 'works'. Just saying connected in glance seems not accurate. The other glances like the media player lose their data when i get out of bt range.

One test I did was to start a phone call in BT range and move away from phone out of bt range. The glance still says connected but call fails. I am still well within wifi range for other devices. Going to try doing same test moving phone away from watch but keeping phone close to airport extreme. Also i am trying new messages and calls outside of bt in wifi range. Doesn't seem to work at all for me over wifi only.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I would love this if it can stay connected that far. I manage a wireless store and one rule is that our phones stay in our pockets unless showing to customers. On top of that I have to carry two phones ...my personal 6+ and my store managers Xperia Z3c. If I could use the watch without having to carry both phones on the floor, that would be terrific.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the general range is around 35-40 feet for a good connection, from what I can gather. That's doable

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems like the general range is around 35-40 feet for a good connection, from what I can gather. That's doable

Yeah that's BT range. We heard same WiFi range would also work.

bilbothejust

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Update:

Great test to see if your watch is connecting to your wifi (duh, not sure why I didn't think of this before)... open up a webpage to your router wireless client list...refresh list if necessary...check to see your watch is not in the list...now turn off BT on the phone and refresh the router wireless client list...if your watch is connecting via wifi your watch should show up in the list.

I was under the impression that phone calls were going to passed via wifi when out of BT range when the initial September unveiling was done but I guess I mis-heard. This is kind of a deal killer for me maybe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Same here - when the watch is out of BT range (little red icon on watch) I should still be able to send/rcv iMessages. Well, I unpaired watch and did setup over // Looking at the wireless clients on my router I waited for my watch to show up...it did very briefly and then was gone.

My songs did not sync last night while charging. I've tried forgetting the wifi on my phone and then logging in again on the phone's wifi. Still no joy. Also, notifications for email have not been working. iMessage is working. Calendar events usually work. Ugh.

Last edited:

TimmyB20

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
U know what's next??? The Apple watch having its own data plan for a monthly fee!! Would u do it???

TimmyB20

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Anecdotal testing in my office today with bluetooth distance (I don't use the office wifi so I'm on crappy 3G). Leaving my iPhone 6 on my desk, I was able to walk 3 cubicles away and still have a connection on my watch albeit some things were slower (Dark Sky, Water Minder). Our cubes are about 10 feet wide or so.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711