Thoughts after first run (pt 1 & 2)

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Did my first run with the watch, and used Runkeeper. For serious runners, the Apple watch exercise app is too basic without real stats or GPS functionality, so apps like Runkeeper or Endomondo will be required.
I did a 4 mile run with Runkeeper today, and it wasn't bad, but definitely needs work. Part of is was me getting used to the phone.

I should have adjusted the setting so that the last app used would appear when I raise my wrist instead of the time. Because of that, every time the display went off when I lowered my wrist, it would go back to the clock when I wanted to check my progress, so I had to go to the apps and choose RK.

Also, with RK, the watch display isn't customizable, yet at least. So the Pace field, which is what I'm most interested in, was small and the duration was large. I would switch those if I could.

Also, not sure if it's because RK isn't integrated with the Apple exercise app, but I didn't get any notifications on the watch when I hit a mile distance, but if I Use the stock Apple app, it will display on the screen and tap my wrist when I hit a mile.

Like I said, it was ok but needs improvement.

Now in looking at Endomondo, I can see that the display is totally customizable with several fields, but I can't figure out who to use the damn thing. On the watch Endo app, it keeps saying to log in to the iPhone App, which I've already done, and I adjusted the watch display from the iPhone. Then I just went back to the iPhone app and it says no Apple watch detected. Has anyone else tried Endo on the watch yet?

Mscatinboston

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
re: Thoughts after first run (pt 1 & 2)

Tx for the report. I have not received my watch yet but I use RK all the time. Info is good to know. Tx.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I would assume a lot of those issues would be fixed once RK can be a native app on the phone. And, of course, when future watches have built in GPS.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

I would assume a lot of those issues would be fixed once RK can be a native app on the phone. And, of course, when future watches have built in GPS.

I'm sure you're right. Now I just want to figure out Endomondo. With the watch display options, it should be perfect for my needs, but it won't work. Can someone let me know if they can get it running on the watch? Hoping I'm just doing something wrong.

bilbothejust

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Hi Suggs68. Same here, so I logged out of Endomundo on the phone, had the Endomundo app open on the watch and after re-logging in on the iPhone then go to Settings in Endomundo and configure the Apple watch. Works great. Hope this helps

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Good info, thanks. Whatever Endomondo's hiccups, I'm sure they will get addressed in an update soon. Can't wait until these apps can make use of the HRM in the watch.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Is the MapMyRun app available for the Watch?
That's my favorite running app.

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site

I tried using the Apple Workout app and hoped that it would sync over to the Nike+ app. Unfortunately, it doesn't so then I have to manually enter the run in to the Nike app.

The Workout app does a great job of notifying you at different stages of your run and display relevant info during the run. I just feel that it needs an app on the iPhone to give a more detailed look of each run. Both the Activity and Workout apps on the watch need a more fleshed out app on the iPhone.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Thoughts after running with the Watch, part 2

So I ran yesterday with the watch and used Runkeeper. It was ok, but I'm not crazy about the Runkeeper interface of the watch which is not customizable at all.
Today I ran a 5 mile race with the Watch and used Endomondo. I'm not using the stock Apple Exercise app on the watch since it doesn't provide any real details on the run or mapping tools with the GPS.
Endomondo is MUCH better than Runkeeper on the watch. I tweaked the interface so it had the fields I care most about up front (pace, average pace and distance), with secondary fields a swipe away.
There are some definite limitations at this point though, and I think it's more with the Watch than Endomondo, and hopefully these will get fixed in an update. First, the watch had my distance at 4.8 miles after the race, and not 5, which it definitely should have been. I could ignore a few hundreds of a mile either way, but 2 tenths is way too much of a variance. Not sure if this is an issue with the Endomondo app or the GPS on the iPhone, but I always used to find the iPhone's GPS more accurate when I used to run with it.
Also, when I want to look at my watch to check my pace or distance, especially in a race like today. I have to wait for the screen to wake up, which is pretty fast and no big deal, but then I need to wait for the app to show my current stats. when it woke up, it was still showing the stats from the last time I checked it and it had to refresh, which took a couple of seconds each time. This is a big deal. To have to keep your wrist up to wait for the screen to refresh will cause you to slow down and take your eyes off the road. Not good for any runner if you're trying to maintain a pace.
Minor issues were the same as Runkeeper. Neither app is integrated with the Apple exercise app, so I don't get any taps on my wrist when I hit each mile. And the lack of integration with the heart sensor is also a major missed opportunity but I'd like to this that will get resolved with an update.
Now I'm coming off using a Microsoft Band since October, and a Pebble before that (yes, I love my wearables). This is probably the one area the Band beats the watch, at least for now. Yes, the Band has a very accurate GPS built in, but I had the ability to keep the screen on throughout a run, which means it doesn't have to refresh the data. Even if I turned the screen off and then on again when I wanted to check my stats, the refresh was very quick. It would be better if there was a setting to keep the screen on without timing out. Yes it would eat the battery but I think most runners would want that. And speaking about the battery, I was pleasantly surprised. It was down to about 95% when I started the race, and after a little over 30 minutes with endomondo running and lots of data going between the watch & phone, it only dropped to 88% by the time I was done. I expected a bigger hit to the battery with a run like that.
I'm hoping these issues get fixed with updates, because I really do like the Watch so far. I would also think Apple would update their exercise app to make it more full-featured and GPS-enabled.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Thoughts after running with the Watch, part 2

Very interesting.

Re distance: are you sure the course really was a full 5 miles? I've definitely run courses which weren't exactly the advertised distance. I'd be surprised if the watch introduced error, since the distance is being computed by Endomondo on your phone, and in theory your watch should have nothing to do with it.

Re functionality - the current Watch API is limited. I expect that a lot will improve when Apple releases an API allowing the development of native Watch apps. People are guessing this will be announced at WWDC in June. But even if it is, who knows when it will actually be available for developers to use. Hopefully we won't have to wait for iOS 9 in the fall.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

I just sold the Samsung Gear S to order the Apple Watch. Endomondo was by far the best running app on that too and I had a similar experience to yours on that too. I was hoping this might replace my trusty old Garmin Forerunner 205 but we'll see in time

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

Yeah the course was pretty exact. I ran it last weekend with my Band and it showed as 5.01, and it's a pretty popular annual race so it's accurate. Even if it was off a bit, 2/10ths is a lot.
And yeah, once Apple allows more control by developers I'm sure most of this will get solved. Most of the issues I can chalk up to a V1 device. Not a deal breaker at all.

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I should have adjusted the setting so that the last app used would appear when I raise my wrist instead of the time. Because of that, every time the display went off when I lowered my wrist, it would go back to the clock when I wanted to check my progress, so I had to go to the apps and choose RK.

If you double click the crown it will return you to the last app you were running.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
If you double click the crown it will return you to the last app you were running.

Yeah I know. During a hard run its a lot of effort to use both hands like that :) Just easier to raise the wrist and see the most recent app in that case.

And I just ran again with Endo, and the distance was within 2/100ths of a mile, so much better. Not sure why it was so far off yesterday.

CrucialTK

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to hear about Edomondo. I've a half marathon I'm running on Sunday and really hope my watch comes in by then. I'm running this evening, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'm really hoping I get it by wednesday so I have two runs where I can try out the MapMyRun app for the watch vs. the Apple activity app. Because I also have the pebble (And that integrates with mapmyrun) I thought about not installing the MMR app on the watch, and using the Apple workout app so I can get HR readings while running, and doing the MMR app on my phone so I can see my splits and everything on my pebble. Gonna be an interesting race!

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Interesting to hear about Edomondo. I've a half marathon I'm running on Sunday and really hope my watch comes in by then. I'm running this evening, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'm really hoping I get it by wednesday so I have two runs where I can try out the MapMyRun app for the watch vs. the Apple activity app. Because I also have the pebble (And that integrates with mapmyrun) I thought about not installing the MMR app on the watch, and using the Apple workout app so I can get HR readings while running, and doing the MMR app on my phone so I can see my splits and everything on my pebble. Gonna be an interesting race!

Good luck in the half. I don't think you'll want the stock Apple app for that, since it only shows pace, not average pace, and you need to scroll between screens to see other stats like distance or duration. Endo seems like the best in terms of customization and data. depends on how anal you are with the stats. I'm a stats junkie so I like to see a bunch of different fields when I run and after.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I know. During a hard run its a lot of effort to use both hands like that :) Just easier to raise the wrist and see the most recent app in that case.

Sounds like an obvious fix we'd want to see, to be able to make an app "sticky" so it's the default thing showing. Apple already does that for their own fitness app, so I bet it will arrive for other fitness apps in time.

voodoogmr

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Do any of these apps provide run/walk interval alerts? That seems to be a feature that most iPhone apps don't even have. This is the main reason I also own a Garmin Forerunner 220.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Do any of these apps provide run/walk interval alerts? That seems to be a feature that most iPhone apps don't even have. This is the main reason I also own a Garmin Forerunner 220.

not at the moment, with the exception of Apple's stock app, but that one is very bare-bones. Runkeeper and Endomondo can be set up to give audio alerts for intervals/laps, but no taptic alert like Apple's app has, which is disappointing.