Thoughts after first run (pt 1 & 2)

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Question: I'm running the NY Marathon on Sunday and would love to give the Apple Watch a try. That said, I'm anticipating a 5+ hour finish. I have a battery case for my iPhone, so I'm not worried about that part. However, do you thenWatch would hold up for that long? Would it help if I turned off the heart rate monitor and notifications? I'm not against doing any of that but wouldn't want the Watch to crap out like my Band did today during the Marine Corps Marathon. Even with notifications and the watch face turned off, it went dead after 4 or so hours. Didn't happen at last year's Philly Marathon! Band 2 is out, but I may not be able to get one by Sunday, hence my Apple Watch interest. :)

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I like the fact that RunKeep has been updated but something is goofed. I did a small bike ride on Friday home from work, 3.13 miles 154 calories. When I went to bed Friday my total calories (Move) was 652. Sometime on Saturday evening I noticed that the Activity app was only showing 498 calories for the day, calories that were logged inside of Activity, it dropped my RK calories.

Same thing on Saturday, I woke up and had a 452 calorie 4.34 mile run in the morning. Instead of my total calories showing 797 I'm only seeing 345 in the Activity app.

This means that the Activity app thinks that I didn't meet my 630 Move goal either of those days =/

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago. I did it in about 1:35 and the battery was at about 85%. I was using endomondo so no heart rate monitor, but based on that you should be fine. And Christy Turlington did that whole promotional thing while she did her marathon in the spring and it was 4+ hours.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I like the fact that RunKeep has been updated but something is goofed. I did a small bike ride on Friday home from work, 3.13 miles 154 calories. When I went to bed Friday my total calories (Move) was 652. Sometime on Saturday evening I noticed that the Activity app was only showing 498 calories for the day, calories that were logged inside of Activity, it dropped my RK calories.
Same thing on Saturday, I woke up and had a 452 calorie 4.34 mile run in the morning. Instead of my total calories showing 797 I'm only seeing 345 in the Activity app.
This means that the Activity app thinks that I didn't meet my 630 Move goal either of those days =/
Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

I haven't had that problem. Did you compare the reported calories on the activity app and the health app? Could it be a sync problem?

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had that problem. Did you compare the reported calories on the activity app and the health app? Could it be a sync problem?

I hadn't compared them previously but the Health app is showing the correct calorie count. Somewhere, all Move recorded by RunKeeper is being removed from my Move total after it is being written.

I usually notice it sometime the next day.

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It happened again yesterday unfortunately.
9dd42f464fe0a6d00212b5f4e5b9f0e1.jpg
bdc2f9e61e97a45edefabe4b7d129a71.jpg

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I guess at the end of the day, the question is whether RunKeeper is sufficiently better than the Stock Apple running app. For years I have used a Garmin 305 (the big red square one) and I still think the dedicated watches are better. No glitches, they always stop and restart, screen display is very customizable and the GPS is extremely accurate.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I did a ten mile race on Sunday with Runkeeper for the watch. I used it for the first 3 miles and it was hard to read because the text was so small and every time I raised my wrist, it took a few seconds to catch up. It behaves like it was trying to read from my phone. It did record my heart rate and seemed to have my right pace. Ended up switching to the workout app for the remainder of the race because of the responsiveness of it

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you using the workout app WITH long sleeves or running jacket covering the watch face have the screen go to end run? It's like the sleeves rubbing across the face stops the time and distance.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Do any of you using the workout app WITH long sleeves or running jacket covering the watch face have the screen go to end run? It's like the sleeves rubbing across the face stops the time and distance.

I've only had to run with my jacket a couple of times and a long sleeve maybe a dozen times, but so far I haven't experienced any problems like you're describing.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any problem running with long sleeves although I bet that shortly I will be able to answer that question with respect to jackets!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2