Thoughts after first run (pt 1 & 2)

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
One more observation. When running using the native app on the Watch, I find the "Pause" button too close to the "End" button on the screen and if you accidentally press the "End" button (which I did when I was stopping at a light) I couldn't find a way to "cancel" the End so I had to save that portion of the run, and then start a new run to continue on.
It would be helpful if there was a "Are you sure you want to End" prompt rather than just Ending it right away.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I thought I'd revive this thread now that Watch OS2 is out. Am I the only one disappointed that no one had an app ready to go at OS release that would run on the Watch without all the lag issues?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm pleased with the changes to the Activity app (specifically, lap times), but I was hoping for even more stats (especially cumulative) from the workout app. I was also hoping that OS2 would allow Siri to exit a workout. At the end of my run, my hands are so sweaty that it can be difficult to get the watch to respond to touch.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I thought I'd revive this thread now that Watch OS2 is out. Am I the only one disappointed that no one had an app ready to go at OS release that would run on the Watch without all the lag issues?

Completely agree. I expected at least Endo or Runkeeper or even Nike to be on he ball with that.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reviving this thread. I went back to my Garmin 620 over the summer, but have been hoping to give running with my Apple Watch another chance once Watch OS2 was released. I'm surprised nothing decent is available yet, but am holding out hope that an iSmoothRun update becomes available soon.

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be interesting to see how devs handle this. No matter how, it'll likely result in a new approach.

If all run metrics are gathered on the Watch, those files would be saved in the native Watch app. Then, what? Sync those files with the phone app or upload directly to our chosen destinations? If GPS data are missing, some services won't recognise them, like Nike+. If we want GPS, do we continue to use the phone app with the Watch app extension which hopefully shows HRM data directly?

So many ways this can be approached, I'm not surprised that it's taking devs a while to figure out what's right.

iSmoothRun's dev said via Twitter not to expect a native Watch app until the 2nd half of October.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently tried both MapMyRun and RuntasticPro on the Watch. Without the Watch, just using the native app on my phone I prefer MapMyRun (or maybe I should say, I am "more used to it" than Runtastic so that is why I have a preference for it.)
However, when I try MapMyRun on the Watch, it doesn't give me Pace information which I found annoying, it only showed elapsed time and HR. RuntasticPro looked pretty good on the Watch with lots of detailed information available to be displayed while running. But, running downtown there are lots of lights and even though I had AutoPause set, I got into the habit of manually Pausing the app several times during the run. At about the 7km mark, the app just totally froze. Would not resume after a pause and was pretty much frozen for the balance. That is clearly an App issue but was very disappointing. Have not tried it again since.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that Runtastic Pro has added heart rate support. Has anyone used the app with their watch? How accurate is it, and can you customize the fields the watch shows?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As a runner who owns the first Microsoft Band, I've been following this thread to see how the Apple Watch performs during runs. Even though I carry my iPhone with me (for music) when I run, I still would be concerned that the Apple Watch's lack of onboard GPS may lead to inaccurate measurements. My Band has performed well with its baked-in GPS, but it's starting to wear out, especially on the inside "flaps". Microsoft announced the new Band today, and while it looks like a solid physical improvement, there aren't too many new features that would benefit iOS users.

While I could wait for the next Apple Watch (to see if they add GPS or other new features), I might be willing to give the current model a shot if third-party Watch running apps (using the iPhone's GPS) offer accurate distance measurements. Has anyone found that to be the case? Or are the distances still off? I have two marathons (Marine Corps in DC on 10/25 and NYC on 11/1 - yes, I'm nuts) coming up, so the sooner I decide on whether to try the Watch, the better.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've found that running-specific apps even with watchOS 1 give accurate GPS readings (especially iSmoothRun, which is the best of the apps that I've tried). The issue is that (for me) they've been unreliable in maintaining the phone connection, haven't integrated HR data and have been more difficult to see in daylight than a proper running watch.

I would assume watchOS 2 will address the first two issues, but the third is more problematic.

I'm running Chicago this weekend, and Boston next April, but I don't plan to wear my Watch for either of those marathons. I feel more confident with my Garmin in those types of situations.

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not expecting the Watch to have its own GPS radio. It's a useful iPhone accessory, not an iPhone replacement. I don't think the MSFT Band2 is meant to be a phone replacement, either. So, how important is GPS to outdoor sport tracking? Does it provide a holy grail of sports metrics? I say it can be useful in training, but avoid relying on GPS in any race situations.

Races are hand-measured, never with GPS, with most courses marked at every km/mi. Popular races are often run in urban environments with paths between buildings, under bridges and through tunnels. You're often elbow-to-elbow with racers, sometimes on trails though towering foliage. You may have heavy cloud cover, rain or snow. All of these things lead to errors in the best GPS trackers. Even under the most ideal conditions, all GPS trackers' raw data is littered with errors, most of which you won't see thanks to post-processing algorithms. The resulting data is a product of "smoothing" using moving averages and trashing of implausible waypoints. The variables are very complex, the output distilled and prone to error.

If you're in a race, use a stopwatch with a lap counter. Better performance metrics can come from stride cadence and heart rate sensors. Use GPS for training routes.

Maybe one day race officials will open up chip timing to watch developers or include location-aware Bluetooth checkpoints on race routes, but as it's stood for nearly 10 years, GPS is not good enough on race days.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, my Band has been super-reliable with its measurements, of course due to its GPS and heart rate monitoring. I have used it in every race I've run in the past year, and it's right on par with the official race measurements, right down to the mile. I've raced in NYC and Philly, and the buildings and other impediments haven't affected the measurements at all while I'm running.

That said, I'm curious enough about the Watch that I might snag a used one off Craigslist just to give it a look. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit my needs and I re-sell it to someone else.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
>> If you're in a race, use a stopwatch with a lap counter. Better performance metrics can come from stride cadence and heart rate sensors. Use GPS for training routes. <<

I've never had any issues running marathons with a GPS watch. The distances will never be exact, but that has as much to do with the GPS as it does to do with running the course efficiently.

I use my GPS watch to track my pace per mile and average pace in real time so I know whether on not I'm on target for that particular race. For these purposes, my GPS watch is good enough – and easy to use.

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I didn't mean to imply that GPS watches were useless. I've been tracking every outdoor training run and race by GPS since 2007.

They can be quite reliable, until they're not. If you've never had one fail and mess up your displayed distance and pacing, you're lucky. Races are our opportunity to fly with all kinds of support we never get in training. Water, food, exact distance markers, pacers and official timing.

What I am suggesting is that GPS may not be always be a necessary feature in future sports tracking. Other sensors to explore and manage power output, stride efficiency, aerobic and lactate thresholds, all exist today and could be incorporated into a smartwatch ecosystem using the phone as a hub.

No question, however, that a V800, Ambit3, Fenix3 or even a Forerunner225 gives us a better out-of-the-box sport experience than an Apple Watch or Microsoft Band2, but the standard metrics that made them champs should be challenged by the modularity of smartwatches.

Bottom line, I don't think GPS is a necessary feature to be included in smartwatches. Those who are critical of the Watch for lacking GPS are missing the bigger picture.

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
What I am suggesting is that GPS may not be always be a necessary feature in future sports tracking. Other sensors to explore and manage power output, stride efficiency, aerobic and lactate thresholds, all exist today and could be incorporated into a smartwatch ecosystem using the phone as a hub.
While that may be true in the future, I think the question was whether someone could use the current Watch for upcoming races. I generally recommend here and elsewhere that runners stick with a traditional GPS running watch for these purposes.

Last edited:

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I've trained for and run marathons, half marathons and everything in between with my Apple Watch, a Microsoft Band before it, and a Garmin before that. I can easily say that the Apple Watch offers everything a full-featured GPS watch offers and then some, the caveat being you need to have your phone with you of course The Microsoft Band, and Band 2, offers slightly better support with the built-in GPS, but is lacking in many other areas because of app support. Personally, I always have my phone when I run, so the Watch works perfectly for me. I am patiently waiting (not so much) for Endo, Runkeeper, etc to update their apps for OS2, but they're stil very accurate and offer serious run analytics and tracking.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
FINALLY!!! Runkeeper updated for OS2. Too bad I saw he update after I got back from my run. Can't wait to try it. Post impressions. I hope you can finally adjust the fields on the watch.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I think I found something that is going to please everyone in this thread. There is a group of apps (MotiFIT, MotiFIT Run, and MotiFIT Ride) which are being developed with the things people here are looking for. Currently MotiFIT runs natively and is used for general workouts with the Apple Watch for heart rate monitoring. The other two apps currently run on the iPhone with plans for native Apple Watch versions coming soon. I have been trying them out and they show great promise. I will be starting a separate thread about these apps to get feedback from others.

Note: I am not the developer but have been in contact with him about the things users feel are lacking in the current apps available.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Did another couple of Runs using Runtastic Pro and had the same issue. It starts out working perfectly, but after about 30 minutes, when I try to pause it at a red light, it periodically will not "resume". Sometimes after about 5 or 10 minutes it will resume and sometimes it just gets stuck on Pause. I used to like MapMyRun but on the Watch, there is almost no information shown so I have reluctantly gone back to the Apple stock running app.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Did run with the new Runkeeper. Overall decent experience. Heartrate and pace were accurate. My only real issue is the total lack of customization, and that the font is too small IMO. I would like to see both current and average pace, but it only shows Pace, which I'm assuming is just current. If they added customization I would probably buy the yearly subscription. As it is, I'm going back to Endomondo, which while it isn't updated for OS2, still offers a better overall experience IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro