I strongly disagree. When you pay $400 for a watch that claims to do fitness tracking, you should expect it to be accurate even in gen 1. The software may need a little refinement, but it should work.
    07-27-2015 10:49 AM
    It seems to me if you're training for a race as long as a marathon, you'd want a dedicated GPS watch. There are many good ones that are reliable and dedicated for serious runners. I don't think a gen 1 product like  Watch is intended for more than casual runners.
    not true. While apple's stock exercise app for the watch is clearly for casual runners, the iPhone apps that support the watch, like endomondo, Runkeeper and others, are definitely for more serious runners and runners in training.
    07-27-2015 12:21 PM
    It does work, in my experience. I generally disagree with you and will continue to. I think a general purpose device is not well suited for serious runners, any more than a single type of car or truck is suited for all people. For serious haulers, they wouldn't want a general purpose sedan.
    07-27-2015 12:57 PM
    It does work, in my experience. I generally disagree with you and will continue to. I think a general purpose device is not well suited for serious runners, any more than a single type of car or truck is suited for all people. For serious haulers, they wouldn't want a general purpose sedan.
    That is true in general, but in this case it's the apps on the iPhone that are geared for serious runners. The # of fields and amount of data I have with Endomondo is as much if not more than I get with a Garmin, and the Watch app has been flawless for me until this morning. Hoping that was a 1-time issue.
    07-27-2015 03:10 PM
    Thanks for the review!
    08-01-2015 09:16 AM
    After another week or of running 5-8 miles a day with a 12 last Sunday, the Endo watch app has been flawless, and I tested it against my old Garmin on my other wrist. Mileage was exact and average pace was exact. Only slight variation was current pace but that's because it takes the screen a second to refresh. And the analysis and log in Endo is very feature-rich.
    08-01-2015 10:43 AM
    I'm on the fence whether to wear my Apple Watch for the run segment of an Ironman. If everything goes as planned I'll run a 4-4.5 hour marathon, I guess the 42mm version should last that long without problems? The watch would spend most of that day in the transition bag and I guess I could put it into Airplane Mode to save battery since the phone won't be with me for the entire race.

I have a Garmin watch that'll be my primary device for the race so the AW will mostly be for comparison out of curiosity.
    08-12-2015 02:54 PM
    You should be more than fine, but it will also depend on what running app you'll be using. The stock app is very inaccurate and also uses more battery, but I find apps like Endomondo and runkeeper very accurate with minimal battery impact. I went on a 2 hour run over the weekend and only use about 20% of the battery.
    08-12-2015 08:47 PM
    You should be more than fine, but it will also depend on what running app you'll be using. The stock app is very inaccurate and also uses more battery, but I find apps like Endomondo and runkeeper very accurate with minimal battery impact. I went on a 2 hour run over the weekend and only use about 20% of the battery.
    Isn't the reason for the stock app using more energy that it actually uses the HR sensor while third party apps don't have access to that yet? I have no other choice than using the stock app since I won't bring my phone at all during the race.

I've done a couple of runs without the phone and the stock app holds upp pretty well with regards to distance accuracy. HR seems to be impressively accurate for an optical sensor, generally tracking my traditional chest strap within a few BPM. It doesn't really matter that much for this event since the Garmin will provide primary pace and HR data.
    08-13-2015 03:23 AM
    Isn't the reason for the stock app using more energy that it actually uses the HR sensor while third party apps don't have access to that yet?
    Yes, I belive so, and you can turn the sensor off in the app settings on the phone.
    08-17-2015 08:18 AM
    I think the point is it was marketed by apple as for serious runners. Did you watch the key note? The had a large sections to Kristy turlington training for the london Marathon and they have updates on the site They still update the progress on the site. I do like my Apple watch.. Its the most expensive smartwatch .yet your comparing it to an all purpose sedan , I do find my watch useful when running and seem to be tracking well with that app i use but needs some tweaking for sure.
    08-18-2015 04:42 PM
    I went on an 8.56-mile run Sunday and Workout said I ran 8.17 miles lol… That's pretty laughable.

I understand using the accelerometer for calibrating walks because when you're walking around you might stop and make small movements left and right that the GPS alone couldn't detect. However when you're running you're just following a path most of the time so this kind of inaccuracy just isn't worth whatever they think they gain from making use of the accelerometer.

I can't wait for watchOS 2 so I can use the heart rate sensor in Runkeeper.
    08-20-2015 12:59 AM
    Did a nice 10K this morning using the stock running app (not MapMyRun, because while I can control MapMyRun on the Watch face, I can only see time, unless I am missing something, haven't found a way to see Pace or distance on the Watch screen using MapMyRun) but one thing I noticed it that if you sweat a lot and sweat either gets on the Watch face screen, or if your hands are sweaty (you can tell this happened to me this morning) sometimes the Watch screen will not register your finger swipe. Needs to be dry.
    08-21-2015 04:48 PM
    Just curious. You ran a 10K. Did the app come up accurate at 6.2 miles? I'm guessing it said something less than that as the native app always does.
    08-21-2015 08:38 PM
    My experience with the workout app since 06/14. Either it is very close or WAY OFF. There is no rhyme to reason with it.
    08-25-2015 11:39 AM
    My $.02 worth ...

Every morning I run the exact same path through my neighborhood and I know the distance. My experience has been that the variance in what the watch+phone (I run with my iPhone) reports is about the same, maybe even less, than the variance I was getting from my Forerunner 220.

My daily run is about 3 miles, so that probably puts me in the category "casual runner." Still, I am very satisfied with the watch-iPhone combo and would recommend it for all except perhaps the truly serious runner. For me, the main thing I miss is the depth of run stats I got from Garmin Connect. I'm hoping Apple upgrades the Activity app to provide that in the future.
    08-25-2015 03:19 PM
    One more observation. When running using the native app on the Watch, I find the "Pause" button too close to the "End" button on the screen and if you accidentally press the "End" button (which I did when I was stopping at a light) I couldn't find a way to "cancel" the End so I had to save that portion of the run, and then start a new run to continue on.
    It would be helpful if there was a "Are you sure you want to End" prompt rather than just Ending it right away.
    09-04-2015 02:20 PM
    I thought I'd revive this thread now that Watch OS2 is out. Am I the only one disappointed that no one had an app ready to go at OS release that would run on the Watch without all the lag issues?
    PatrickNSF likes this.
    09-30-2015 03:14 PM
    I'm pleased with the changes to the Activity app (specifically, lap times), but I was hoping for even more stats (especially cumulative) from the workout app. I was also hoping that OS2 would allow Siri to exit a workout. At the end of my run, my hands are so sweaty that it can be difficult to get the watch to respond to touch.
    09-30-2015 06:51 PM
    I thought I'd revive this thread now that Watch OS2 is out. Am I the only one disappointed that no one had an app ready to go at OS release that would run on the Watch without all the lag issues?
    Completely agree. I expected at least Endo or Runkeeper or even Nike to be on he ball with that.
    09-30-2015 07:04 PM
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I went back to my Garmin 620 over the summer, but have been hoping to give running with my Apple Watch another chance once Watch OS2 was released. I'm surprised nothing decent is available yet, but am holding out hope that an iSmoothRun update becomes available soon.
    10-01-2015 02:12 PM
    It's going to be interesting to see how devs handle this. No matter how, it'll likely result in a new approach.

If all run metrics are gathered on the Watch, those files would be saved in the native Watch app. Then, what? Sync those files with the phone app or upload directly to our chosen destinations? If GPS data are missing, some services won't recognise them, like Nike+. If we want GPS, do we continue to use the phone app with the Watch app extension which hopefully shows HRM data directly?

So many ways this can be approached, I'm not surprised that it's taking devs a while to figure out what's right.

iSmoothRun's dev said via Twitter not to expect a native Watch app until the 2nd half of October.
    10-01-2015 03:07 PM
    I recently tried both MapMyRun and RuntasticPro on the Watch. Without the Watch, just using the native app on my phone I prefer MapMyRun (or maybe I should say, I am "more used to it" than Runtastic so that is why I have a preference for it.)
    However, when I try MapMyRun on the Watch, it doesn't give me Pace information which I found annoying, it only showed elapsed time and HR. RuntasticPro looked pretty good on the Watch with lots of detailed information available to be displayed while running. But, running downtown there are lots of lights and even though I had AutoPause set, I got into the habit of manually Pausing the app several times during the run. At about the 7km mark, the app just totally froze. Would not resume after a pause and was pretty much frozen for the balance. That is clearly an App issue but was very disappointing. Have not tried it again since.
    10-02-2015 10:26 AM
    I just noticed that Runtastic Pro has added heart rate support. Has anyone used the app with their watch? How accurate is it, and can you customize the fields the watch shows?
    10-04-2015 12:38 PM
    As a runner who owns the first Microsoft Band, I've been following this thread to see how the Apple Watch performs during runs. Even though I carry my iPhone with me (for music) when I run, I still would be concerned that the Apple Watch's lack of onboard GPS may lead to inaccurate measurements. My Band has performed well with its baked-in GPS, but it's starting to wear out, especially on the inside "flaps". Microsoft announced the new Band today, and while it looks like a solid physical improvement, there aren't too many new features that would benefit iOS users.

While I could wait for the next Apple Watch (to see if they add GPS or other new features), I might be willing to give the current model a shot if third-party Watch running apps (using the iPhone's GPS) offer accurate distance measurements. Has anyone found that to be the case? Or are the distances still off? I have two marathons (Marine Corps in DC on 10/25 and NYC on 11/1 - yes, I'm nuts) coming up, so the sooner I decide on whether to try the Watch, the better.
    10-06-2015 10:24 PM
177 ... 45678