Are you suffering from Apple Watch envy?

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Not going to lie... I'm totally suffering from Apple Watch envy right now. I like when Apple does big bang launches.... many times over the years I've hit up the stores early to buy my new iPad or iPhone (sometimes waiting in line... other times paying the dude who waited in line to get the first device out of the store).

With the Apple Watch, and New Macbook for that matter, I've totally been left out to wait. I stayed up late on pre-order day. Ordered my two Apple Watches within 2 minutes of them going on sale. I'm still apparently weeks away from delivery (one is the Sport in space grey coming in late May, the other is the Apple Watch in space grey steel, arriving in June). I was going to order my New Macbook that night as well, but my local Apple Store told me they would have it in stock - so I made the mistake of not ordering it. When I went to to the store the next morning and they said they had none, I then ordered immediately - will have it on May 16th. Had I just ordered that immediately, I would have received it already - but serves me right for believing what I was told by the Apple Store employees.

The Apple Watch envy wasn't too bad until today... when one of my colleagues rang me up and talked to me from his Apple Watch. Being the guy who typically goes out of his way to get tech first, Apple made it crazy hard on me this time around. I hate it!!!

It's definitely felt like a really weird roll out to me. Hoping next time around it's a little bit more of a big bang release again.

Anybody else feeling the envy of those who already have their Apple Watch on the wrist??

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not going to lie... I'm totally suffering from Apple Watch envy right now. I like when Apple does big bang launches.... many times over the years I've hit up the stores early to buy my new iPad or iPhone (sometimes waiting in line... other times paying the dude who waited in line to get the first device out of the store).

With the Apple Watch, and New Macbook for that matter, I've totally been left out to wait. I stayed up late on pre-order day. Ordered my two Apple Watches within 2 minutes of them going on sale. I'm still apparently weeks away from delivery (one is the Sport in space grey coming in late May, the other is the Apple Watch in space grey steel, arriving in June). I was going to order my New Macbook that night as well, but my local Apple Store told me they would have it in stock - so I made the mistake of not ordering it. When I went to to the store the next morning and they said they had none, I then ordered immediately - will have it on May 16th. Had I just ordered that immediately, I would have received it already - but serves me right for believing what I was told by the Apple Store employees.

The Apple Watch envy wasn't too bad until today... when one of my colleagues rang me up and talked to me from his Apple Watch. Being the guy who typically goes out of his way to get tech first, Apple made it crazy hard on me this time around. I hate it!!!

It's definitely felt like a really weird roll out to me. Hoping next time around it's a little bit more of a big bang release again.

Anybody else feeling the envy of those who already have their Apple Watch on the wrist??

Agree. Hope next year it is more of the old way of Apple product launches. This still seems like they weren't really sure how they wanted to launch it, hence the few stores carrying it today and still no update on when it will actually be in stores, other than a few cities.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Its sucks CB kev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be 100% honest, having played with my wife's watch for a couple of hours now, I'm even less interested than I was before (and I wasn't really interested at all then, lol). Not that there's anything particularly wrong with it, but it just doesn't feel like something useful to me at all, and I have to be honest, the sport watch doesn't really feel high quality to me, it just feels like exercise equipment...

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your luck, Kevin. A lot of people with May shipment dates have had theirs shipped out already, though, so it's quite possible that you'll get at least one of yours within the next week. On a personal note, I love mine. It definitely feels like an accessory, but the nicest accessory I've ever seen. To Sean's point, though, I don't know how the Sport feels as I opted for a stainless steel Milanese, but the stainless steel looks stunning and the Milanese band in particular is just so refined and beautiful. I couldn't be happier with the build quality.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't preorder cuz I wanted to try it one for size. I honestly had no idea you couldn't buy in store today at all. I was disappointed when I realized this and finally placed my order today.

I've honestly had some fun times waiting in line at the Apple Store on launch day.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
Kevin I'm glad to see this post from you. I agree 100% and feel a little disappointed with Apple on this roll out. Many who ordered the Sport with later shipping windows have received their devices, while others (myself included who ordered at 3:07) are still processing with no update for the 42mm SS model.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
This time, no.

I'm really feeling that as much as I was compelled to get one, it left my body when I actually played with one.

I don't feel compelled to get it anymore because it just didn't feel comfortable to my wrist.

The interface didn't function easily or intuitively for me either.

I'll likely give it a shot in a few months but it'd probably be a second hand being sold somewhere here on Mobile Nations.

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.

Kind of interesting.... maybe Apple knew the Apple Watch wouldn't be as much of a no-brainer purchase as a new iPhone or iPad, so instead of doing a big bang launch (which could lead to long line ups, but maybe a lot of people leaving the store without a watch trying it on), they opted for this slower roll out instead. The enthusiasts would order asap online no matter what, but after that the more normal consumer could actually try it on before making a decision.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm ordering today. I was gonna wait for more $$ to get a better one, but I need to just get the Sport 42mm and be done with it so I can better assist others with hands on experience. So Space Gray here I come.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not at all. I remember when the 5S was announced and I didn't feel like it would be much of an upgrade until I started seeing everyone here talk about it and at that point I just had to have one. I was never fascinated with the thought of a smart watch and even after the launch of this watch I'm less fascinated. Usually with a new product like this I would have made time to check one out on a display at an Apple Store but I really have zero desire.

Last edited:

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I think some people may be missing the point of why Apple rolled out the initial release of the watch. Do you realize how many different combinations of this watch there are? Trying to stock all of the Apple stores with enough of each combination for a whole new product category is a nightmare. With past Apple products each only had a few possible choices and even then they still ran out on launch days. The lines at launch days used to be great in the past because there were Real Apple fans waiting to buy them... These days you have hired personnel of Gazelle first in line waiting to promote their website. You have scalpels from other countries in front of you buying up all the stock so they could sell them for a markup. Or you have paid homeless people waiting in line taking up positions and products for said scalpers. Or you have hot headed customers who have fights in line. Being able to order the new Apple watch from my own home was a breeze through the Apple App and Touch ID. I was able to order my watch with a couple of clicks and went back to bed. I got my watch on launch day delivered to me and now I am enjoying the benefits of this great new device. Is it perfect? Of course not. It's it convenient? A resounding YES!

Case in point...using the Apple Watch at the movies was Amazing! I was able to answer a call in the concession stand, use my AMC stub card at the register and with Apple a Pay while having to juggle popcorn, the drink, hot dogs, and napkins. The AMC cashier responded with "wow that's so amazing, is that the Apple Watch?"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Envy? Maybe just a little. I saw one person who appeared to have been wearing an Watch while at my son's lacrosse game yesterday, but it didn't make me say, "dang, I wish I had mine already". I simply noticed it and then returned to cheering for my son...