Will pairing Apple Watch to iPhone break other bluetooth pairing?

Juliet0915

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if I can have my iPhone paired to my Apple Watch and other things as well? Currently, my iPhone is paired to my car handsfree device. I've some some googling and the consensus is two things being paired, but they have to be different. I don't know if those are considered "different" -- if I ever decide to pair a bluetooth headset, will I need to drop one of the other things I've paired with the iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe the Watch will use Bluetooth-LE where the iPhone's connection to other devices is standard Bluetooth so the two will work concurrently.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently, my iPhone is configured to use Bluetooth with my car, my Motorola Buds and my Jawbone Icon earpiece. Of course, I can't use them simultaneously, but I doubt added the Watch to the list will break anything. I won;t know for certain until my Watch arrives.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been having my iPhone pair with my car and with my Pebble for over a year. Works fine.

It'd be weird if the Apple Watch were less capable here than the original Pebble. Expect no difficulties, but we'll see.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if I can have my iPhone paired to my Apple Watch and other things as well? Currently, my iPhone is paired to my car handsfree device. I've some some googling and the consensus is two things being paired, but they have to be different. I don't know if those are considered "different" -- if I ever decide to pair a bluetooth headset, will I need to drop one of the other things I've paired with the iPhone?
A Bluetooth device can only be paired with one other device at a time for a particular profile. So your wireless headphones cannot receive audio from both your watch and phone at the same time. You will need to pick.

I will be interested to see if they have done the fine points correctly - e.g., if your headset is connected to your phone, can you answer a phone call with your watch and still get the audio via your phone?

I believe the Watch will use Bluetooth-LE where the iPhone's connection to other devices is standard Bluetooth so the two will work concurrently.
The iPhone has supported Bluetooth-LE since iOS 5.

anon(536616)

Jun 4, 2006
Visit site
Any news on this? I'm curious if those who have Apple Watch and car with Bluetooth have an update on this. Can an iPhone be connected to Apple Watch and car's Bluetooth simultaneously or does one have to disconnect?

Last edited:

PrincessKick

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have my iPhone 6+ paired to my auto and my Apple Watch. I get notifications on my Watch and calls on my auto's BT while in the car. I haven't paid attention to see if I can get notifications while on a call though. I can try it sometime today.

Pat Aires

May 14, 2015
Visit site
My watch would supersede my car answering my iPhone. I tried Airplane mode and do not disturb mode, but that also shuts off my iPhone. Yesterday, when a call came while driving, I covered the Watch with my hand, then answered my car's phone button, and it worked - I was able to use the hands free car capability without Watch interference.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have my iPhone 6+ paired with my Watch and my car. Have not yet had a problem. Maybe I am just not aware there is a problem.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Bluetooth works fine with my iPhone, Apple Watch, and car's infotainment system/phone connectivity. If I press the answer button on my steering wheel, the call plays through the car speakers. If I answer with my Apple Watch, it plays through the watch speaker. Music streams just fine over the Bluetooth link from the iPhone to the cars speakers, but mutes/pauses when the phone rings. This is with a 2011 Chrysler 300 and its tech package.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problem with my iPhone 6 and Watch when connected to my '13 Chevy Equinox. Answer with the audio system touch screen and the call goes thru the cars Bluetooth system.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm having major issues with Ford Sync (2015 F150)... iPhone (6S+) no longer playing audio properly over bluetooth to Sync, and the voice navigation (apple maps) is broken. Started the minute I had my  Watch. Not sure what the solution is. Tried deleting and re-pairing my iPhone to Sync... no go.

so ????

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I seemed to have found a resolution to me problem...

1) go into bluetooth settings and select "Sync" (my in-car connection) and 'forget this device'
2) delete my iphone from the vehicle bluetooth device list
3) on iphone, go to 'Settings>Reset>Reset Network Settings'
4) once reset, pair iphone to Sync again
5) everything seems to be working as it was before having the watch (ie. audio over bluetooth working again, voice navigation working again, etc.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW