Endomondo and Apple Watch

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
So Endomondo just did a cryptic update on my iPhone:

We're introducing support for Apple Watch and iPhone 6. We've also made some improvements to enhance your Endomondo experience.

For those who don't know, Endomondo is a fitness application that tracks workouts and maps your runs.

I've been very interested whether applications like Endomondo would be able to use the Apple Watch's heart rate monitor. This update doesn't say anything at all about how the Apple Watch is supported, and I haven't been able to find anything on-line.

So, would love to hear from anyone who knows more, particularly those of you who are going to be receiving your watches shortly.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like they will have an app, or be able to tap in to the sensors in the watch for health tracking. :)

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I found a description of RunKeeper's Watch app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/runkeeper-gps-running-walk/id300235330?mt=8&at=10l3Vy
RunKeeper is here for the Apple Watch! A golden opportunity to make running a lot more awesome.

What’s new:
- RunKeeper for Apple Watch: the most magical thing to happen to running since the iPhone!
- Leave your phone in your pocket as you start, view, and complete your run all from the Apple Watch.
- Keep the day’s notifications (and all those annoying emails from your boss) away as you just tune into and enjoy your run. It’s almost like your phone isn’t there, except it is.
- Follow your training plan workouts with notifications right from the watch. Really awesome for when you think you’re about to die from that speed interval.

Notably missing is mention of keeping track of your HR. This is what I suspected - that 3d-party apps don't (at this time) have access to the HR monitor. Hopefully, I'm either wrong, or the Watch API will be updated in time.

If there are any runners who get a Watch in the early batches, please try this out!

tony_tim22

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I was asking Runtastic about the same thing, this is what I got in respond :

'The RT app will support the apple watch; however not the integrated HRM. You will still need to use an external HRM to get your HR data.'

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner