In-store availability?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No in store availability until June? Seems very un-applelike to not have a product physically in stores until months after the preorder. Unless apple is moving more towards online only purchases rather than in store for their products.
Apple Watch will likely be unavailable for purchase in-store until June | iMore

As I stated in another thread somewhere, I read that Apple wanted to get away from having large crowds at their retail location during launches, but I don't recall where I read it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Apple will go away from launches and big crowds in stores. They love it. Just this situation they need to take care of the people who ordered first and worry about store inventory 2nd.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Apple will go away from launches and big crowds in stores. They love it. Just this situation they need to take care of the people who ordered first and worry about store inventory 2nd.

That never seemed to be a priority with any other of their launches though...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

With the massive amount of people who are pre-ordering their watch online, my guess is Apple saw a tsunami of people coming in for service on just THOSE units...and that bringing in customers to the stores to actually BUY the watches is probably something they want some buffer time on, allowing the online order people to get their one on one time in the stores before the people who come in to purchase the watch get that chance (and probably so they can maintain the level of service most people are used to from Apple).

It's one of the selling points of Apple products...having the stuff you buy backed by stellar customer service...so I imagine they are probably terrified of the idea of the massive pre-order customers combing with what would probably be an even larger "walk in" frequency (even if a lot of them didn't buy one)...so they avoided this by pushing it out a couple of months.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Your right but they were also able to build 10 million iPhones for a launch too and I'm sure production for watches right now is at a much lower rate. If they don't take care of watch orders first, people won't get them until August.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was planning on buying in June online I hope the ship times aren't 4-6 weeks still or longer. We'll see I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wife had an interesting, albeit a very logical theory on why they might be doing this with the watch...something that really never occurred to me.

What is the best way to make the watch still feel like a "new" product when the next generation of iPhones come out late summer/early fall? Stagger the releases out and make the in store availability later into the season...this gets some hype on the street for a new product that hasn't been offered by Apple before, but also staggers the watch out over a longer term, so when the new phones come out, the mental idea that the watch is still a "new" product may be present.

I mean obviously just a theory, but after thinking about it...seemed like a pretty good one!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Wife had an interesting, albeit a very logical theory on why they might be doing this with the watch...something that really never occurred to me.

What is the best way to make the watch still feel like a "new" product when the next generation of iPhones come out late summer/early fall? Stagger the releases out and make the in store availability later into the season...this gets some hype on the street for a new product that hasn't been offered by Apple before, but also staggers the watch out over a longer term, so when the new phones come out, the mental idea that the watch is still a "new" product may be present.

I mean obviously just a theory, but after thinking about it...seemed like a pretty good one!

Unless they are going to bundle the two together, I see what she is saying, but most people don't go in and buy multiple products at the same time. I think a more spread out release would actually be better in this case, especially with people getting their tax returns shortly and would have potentially used them on that. But having a $349 and $700+ items right around the same time aren't really going to sell a ton together, being sold individually.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless they are going to bundle the two together, I see what she is saying, but most people don't go in and buy multiple products at the same time. I think a more spread out release would actually be better in this case, especially with people getting their tax returns shortly and would have potentially used them on that. But having a $349 and $700+ items right around the same time aren't really going to sell a ton together, being sold individually.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have no firm numbers to give you, but I see people buying multiple items every time I go into the Apple store...and with the iPhone release, what a great marketing program to unveil than making the two items feel "new" and "inseparable".

I mean you could technically leave the Apple store with a new iPhone AND a "new" Apple Watch for $500-$600. I would imagine that could be quite inviting to a lot of people.

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree with that. I have no firm numbers to give you, but I see people buying multiple items every time I go into the Apple store...and with the iPhone release, what a great marketing program to unveil than making the two items feel "new" and "inseparable".

I mean you could technically leave the Apple store with a new iPhone AND a "new" Apple Watch for $500-$600. I would imagine that could be quite inviting to a lot of people.

Not only that, the the phone gets subsidized usually, and people don't necessarily pay full price for the phone, making their initial out-of-pocket a lot less.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I think they played it safe with stock not truly knowing the demand. I bet those foxconers are working their little fingers off right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So nobody really believes the email from Angela Ahrendts saying they were going to online order and sales associates should help customers get used to the change.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So nobody really believes the email from Angela Ahrendts saying they were going to online order and sales associates should help customers get used to the change.

Not even a little...lol. Part of the hype that surrounds Apple products is the big build up to release day and the lines/excitement that come with it. Why would Apple eliminate free marketing like that? Makes zero sense.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The  Watch IPhone combo is going to make a helluva Xmas gift for some.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
My wife already told me that she's getting an iPhone 6s. So I'm almost sure she's going to want a watch too after seeing me use mine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods