Watches are now Jewelry...

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
With the invention of mobile phones, watches are now considered more like jewelry. Does anybody think smartwatches will be able to change this perception or just a very cool trend that will eventually be a niche?

Watches have always been jewelry/accessories. Otherwise, why do you think people need to put diamond and gold on the watches? And why would you need multiple watches with different styles if it is not jewelry/accessories? Seriously, buying watches is no different from buying handbags. People need more than one with different colors and different styles. :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the real assessment of this is that Apple is trying to take Smartwatches into Luxury Watch territory, albeit heavyhandledly...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You must run in a "well to do" circle. And I said "most" people, not all people.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

I don't think it's about well to do circles. Apple for years now has been lauded by outside influences because there is no "cheap" iPhone. Yet there is still no cheap iPhone. The subsidized cost of the least costing iPhone is about the cost of the cheapest Watch. So although people will bemoan the cost those that want it will buy it. I've written another thread that points out the price of Beats headphones and yet teenagers all over have them. Yet if you want to talk about the Watch only being able to tell time. Beats headphones only reproduces sound. This is the first year of the Watch. We don't know what next year brings. If Apple carries on in similar fashion then the gen 1 Watch could become $100 cheaper. I personally see this becoming as widespread as the iPhone and smartphones are currently. It might take a longer time but I see it happening.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the real assessment of this is that Apple is trying to take Smartwatches into Luxury Watch territory, albeit heavyhandledly...
I don't think Apple is only interested in the luxury market. Although that has lots of money it would also be harder to break into. Apple as with anything casts a wide net and wants to get the Watch into as many hands as possible.

A report from CNBC said, "In August 2012, Fresno, California-based OMG Electronics applied for the iWatch trademark. Apparently, there was a legitimate interest in doing something with it, as OMG ran a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo from September to October of that year.
OMG isn't alone. An entity in New York called M.Z. Berger & Co. applied for a trademark on the iWatch name in June 2007. But Swiss watchmaker Swatch successfully opposed the filing a year later, claiming that it would cause confusion with Swatch's registered names.
And according to a Bloomberg story published in October, a Dublin-based software studio named Probendi has owned the iWatch trademark in the European Union since 2008."
It's no wonder Apple steered away from the name.

In my mind I see Apple execs with the iWatch name on the board. There is a list of pros a list of cons and the price it would cost to license it or whatever it would take to use it. Apple is great at marketing because after months of everyone calling it the iWatch they have successfully changed the minds of most people to now associate the watch with the name Watch. So I see them thinking lets propose other names if we can't use iWatch. They found one and said OK lets run with this.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's about well to do circles. Apple for years now has been lauded by outside influences because there is no "cheap" iPhone. Yet there is still no cheap iPhone. The subsidized cost of the least costing iPhone is about the cost of the cheapest Watch. So although people will bemoan the cost those that want it will buy it. I've written another thread that points out the price of Beats headphones and yet teenagers all over have them. Yet if you want to talk about the Watch only being able to tell time. Beats headphones only reproduces sound. This is the first year of the Watch. We don't know what next year brings. If Apple carries on in similar fashion then the gen 1 Watch could become $100 cheaper. I personally see this becoming as widespread as the iPhone and smartphones are currently. It might take a longer time but I see it happening.

Maybe widespread among existing iPhone users. But we've got 47 million people on food stamps. Half the country gets some form of government assistance. And these people are buying a $400 watch when many can't hardly afford a cheap Android phone? Your rose colored glasses are fogged with apple juice. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh