Apple Watch Disappointment

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I am a big Apple fan; have an iPhone 6 Plus, rMBP, iPad Air and have been a long time Apple guy. I am also a 1st generation plunger; had the 1st gen iPhone, iPad, and rMBP. I preordered the 42 mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with Sport Band on the 10th and am set to get it on release day (24th). I decided finally to check it out in person and get a feel for it. Tired of waiting. To be perfectly honest, I left disappointed and even considered canceling the preorder. Here were my concerns/observations;

-42mm felt small and "cheap". It was difficult to tap icons and frequently found the OS to be unresponsive in general. Some of this can be fixed with OS updates, but the size felt a little small to do much of anything. I have a 42mm Citizen Eco Drive which feels well built and solid. The Apple Watch felt like a Timex Ironman you could get at Target for $50.

-The sport band was very nice. But the leather bands felt cheap and almost like plastic. Glad I preordered the sport band because the other options didn't appeal to me. The leather loop in particular was not something I would recommend.

-The tactic vibration would get annoying very quickly. Several times it vibrated and felt as though my shirt was catching on the watch when it was really just vibrating. Definitely did not feel like someone tapping me. I also could see how annoying routine alerts could get. I also found that many of the notifications or email/messages really does require your phone to do much of anything.

-The screen was nice but the functionality or OS was not intuitive and left me frustrated. The button below the digital crown seemed to be more suited to a sleep/wake/power on button and it was routine for me to tap it. The crown itself seemed like a joke; I didn't like using it and found myself relying on the touch screen. Which brings me to the biggest gripe; several times I tapped icons and nothing happened only to open up the wrong app 2-3 seconds later. The Apple employee helping me also noticed this issue and said that "we had some complaints" about the responsiveness as well. She was able to tap the icon after 3-4 tries (hitting the wrong icon as well). Yes that may get ironed out with future updates, but with the size of the watch makes tapping an icon seem like a chore.

Overall I am still considering canceling the preorder. However, has anyone found out if you can actually return the watch within 14 days if you don't like it? Also, will native applications speed up the app experience or due to the reliance on data from the phone it will continue to be slow. I really wanted this to be an awesome product and am very disappointed after seeing it in person.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Of course you can return it if you don't like it. Whatever the return policy is it's on Apple.com.
As far as the speed of apps I say check the reviews on the net by the tech bloggers that have it like The Verge.
No one here has one yet to answer any questions on the speed of apps it would all be speculation.
Sounds like there are a lot of cons for you. Don't keep something that you will not enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the first iPhone and iPad along with an iPhone for the past 8 years. I also have a rMBP and an iMac so I would also think I'm an Applefaithful and early adopter. I like reading through your post because I think these might be issues some regular joes will have on the street. Honestly my response is a lot of what you said comes down to personal choice so I can't tell you that you're wrong. I just say it's the first device. The first iPhone compared to the iPhone 6 is a monumental difference. The time is gone now so some people might forget that the first iPhone didn't have cut/paste, wallpapers or even the app store! There was lag opening folders and after opening some apps which is why the ability to close apps was great later on. I'm just saying that expecting a polished product right out the gate is un-realistic IMO. Still maybe the watch is just not for you. It's not a knock on you or the watch it wont be for everyone. So if you feel strongly cancel and then try again at gen 2 or 3.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
-The tactic vibration would get annoying very quickly. Several times it vibrated and felt as though my shirt was catching on the watch when it was really just vibrating. Definitely did not feel like someone tapping me. I also could see how annoying routine alerts could get. I also found that many of the notifications or email/messages really does require your phone to do much of anything.

This here tells me you have never owned a smart watch. If receiving notifications on your wrist is "annoying" then I dont think you should be owning a smart watch. You could turn off specific notifications of course but now you're losing its main function. Im sure you can return it within 14 days, so give it a try and if youre not happy you can return it.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This here tells me you have never owned a smart watch. If receiving notifications on your wrist is "annoying" then I dont think you should be owning a smart watch. You could turn off specific notifications of course but now you're losing its main function. Im sure you can return it within 14 days, so give it a try and if youre not happy you can return it.

Yeah, and I really don't think you can get a "true" feel for the watch until you wear it for a few days.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You have an opinion...congratulations.

I'd say you don't have enough real world experience with the device to really formulate such an end all, be all stance, but lots of people define what they like based on such quick to the draw observations...I don't think it helps you much, but I also don't really care if you like it or not.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
You have an opinion...congratulations.

I'd say you don't have enough real world experience with the device to really formulate such an end all, be all stance, but lots of people define what they like based on such quick to the draw observations...I don't think it helps you much, but I also don't really care if you like it or not.

Seems like there's been way too many opinions lately in this forum, sheesh.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems like there's been way too many opinions lately in this forum, sheesh.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

I think opinions are great! And I would never be naive enough to think every person that comes here would be satisfied with these products...I just find it humorous that a person would spend about a blink of an eye with something and be so opposed to it. Knowing how tech works within our lives, it just seems a bit hard to believe, but whatever...I don't want one of these watches myself, so I'm not all that invested.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think opinions are great! And I would never be naive enough to think every person that comes here would be satisfied with these products...I just find it humorous that a person would spend about a blink of an eye with something and be so opposed to it. Knowing how tech works within our lives, it just seems a bit hard to believe, but whatever...I don't want one of these watches myself, so I'm not all that invested.

For me, it's a few minutes and I'll love or hate it. I like the feeling of knowing I'm not buying something just to have it. I'm getting it because it fits into what I like and desire. Is that weird?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's a few minutes and I'll love or hate it. I like the feeling of knowing I'm not buying something just to have it. I'm getting it because it fits into what I like and desire. Is that weird?

I am very much this way too. Especially with apps. I can use an app I download for 15 seconds and know if I am gonna hate it. Something more expensive like the watch though, that I feel I would need more facetime (see what I did there?) with.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I am very much this way too. Especially with apps. I can use an app I download for 15 seconds and know if I am gonna hate it. Something more expensive like the watch though, that I feel I would need more facetime (see what I did there?) with.

Yeah, I just felt for me that it'll need a little more tuning and possibly it'll be on my list again. For now though, it just seemed to have response issues and wasn't as intuitive as I'd like. Perhaps it's just not finding a place amongst my daily routine too. Ah well.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I just felt for me that it'll need a little more tuning and possibly it'll be on my list again. For now though, it just seemed to have response issues and wasn't as intuitive as I'd like. Perhaps it's just not finding a place amongst my daily routine too. Ah well.

I felt very much the same way. But I had no intentions of buying one to begin with. So i wasn't going in expecting to be won over.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
If you really did get the iPhone when it first came out, then you know that it was way worse off than the Apple Watch is

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you really did get the iPhone when it first came out, then you know that it was way worse off than the Apple Watch is

At the time it wasn't...at the time there was nothing else like it, and personally, I thought it was incredible (though I was a bit irritated with Cingular wireless for preventing iPhone users from sending MMS messages for so long).

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't cancel your order. Give it a try when you get it. Even if you're not liking it. Keep trying until the last day of the return period. Real world experience will be completely different from the demo unit you tried at the store. Especially after you customize it and mess with all the settings and notifications the way you like it.
And after the 14 days. If you still don't like it. I'll buy it from you for 50% off since is now a used watch. Lol. Jk

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I also found the demo watch in the store a bit laggy for active interaction. That won't stop me from enjoying my new Apple Watch, however. Once I have it configured to my interests it will be primarily giving me priority notifications from my iPhone, so whether it takes a fraction of a second longer to load or not, will not be an issue for me. Where its lagginess will matter will be switching among Glances, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully, Apple will be able to tweak some code to improve this issue. Historically, they've been quite successful doing this sort of optimizing, so I'm optimistic.

hatchettjack

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I hear it is selling like hotcakes on preorder! A wow inducing, quality made, priced to reflect said quality easy to use! Imagine that!

Sent from my  6+

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh