I don't think the Apple Watch is gaining interest with "watch people"?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know. I have to disagree with you there. I have a Pebble, and at the <$100 price point, it was easy for me to justify. I wanted something that did sleep tracking. The Pebble and the Fitbit Flex were only about $10 - $20 different and the Pebble does SO much more.

I'm not saying that you (or anyone else) shouldn't get a Apple Watch, but I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to get one at the $350 price point. $350 vs $100 is a BIG difference. And I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to do anything that I want enough justify my spending the extra money. I think I'm resolved to take the wait and see approach.

My point is not that he has a Pebble. My point is he has a problem with me buying a smartwatch when he has one himself. The difference in cost is irrelevant because it's my money and he paid his money on what he owns. I didn't go to him when he bought the Pebble and say "Oh you spent your money on that". Regardless of what I think of it he has the right to spend his own money on whatever he likes. I don't have any negative feelings towards the Pebble just trying to make my point.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Some people are practical and have simply decided that they do not want an Watch. Period.
True but that's not what I'm talking about. Practical people who wear watches have a watch or 2, maybe something dressy and something casual, or maybe a sports watch and a professional watch, or maybe just one they wear everywhere. They might have splurged on something fancy and fashionable like a Rolex or they just have something cheap like Timex.

What I'm talking about is a person who has a passion for watches. That has a collection of 15 to 20 watches that they rotate. Who's collection includes not only entry level brands like Fossil and Movado, but also luxury brands like Harry Winston, Montblanc, and TAG Heuer.

I feel like this is who Apple is trying to appeal to with the Edition, but I'm not sure it's working.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True but that's not what I'm talking about. Practical people who wear watches have a watch or 2, maybe something dressy and something casual, or maybe a sports watch and a professional watch, or maybe just one they wear everywhere. They might have splurged on something fancy and fashionable like a Rolex or they just have something cheap like Timex.

What I'm talking about is a person who has a passion for watches. That has a collection of 15 to 20 watches that they rotate. Who's collection includes not only entry level brands like Fossil and Movado, but also luxury brands like Harry Winston, Montblanc, and TAG Heuer.

I feel like this is who Apple is trying to appeal to with the Edition, but I'm not sure it's working.

I knew what you meant, but still, those who want it will get it and those who don't will not.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The pricing of the "edition" watch made it very obvious who was being targeted...and it wasn't your run of the mill watch enthusiast, it was your high end wealthy celebrities, music stars and sports stars who not only have the means, but want the flashy new tech toy. The same folks sporting those overpriced beats headsets all over the place in 2013 and 2014 will be the ones sporting the "Edition" Apple Watch. It's flashy...that is what it was made for. I don't think it was aimed at the high end watch enthusiast at all.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The pricing of the "edition" watch made it very obvious who was being targeted...and it wasn't your run of the mill watch enthusiast, it was your high end wealthy celebrities, music stars and sports stars who not only have the means, but want the flashy new tech toy. The same folks sporting those overpriced beats headsets all over the place in 2013 and 2014 will be the ones sporting the "Edition" Apple Watch. It's flashy...that is what it was made for. I don't think it was aimed at the high end watch enthusiast at all.
I could see that

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Watch is definitely not for everyone. It was reported a month ago that only about 5% of US iPhone users strongly said they were going to buy the Watch. I figure the number a bit higher, but not much. And there's a difference between fine timepieces and a tech laden watch. I wouldn't expect an Audi A8 driver to be interested in the Smartcar. But there's a bunch here at iMore that want the Watch so bad they can't stand the wait for shipping! It's who we are! Enjoy and don't worry about what someone else likes or dislikes.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

vigilant

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I feel like the Apple Watch is being marketed really well to people who don't currently wear watches. Or to people who just a one or two basic watches. Basically, it's a watch but better because it does so much cool stuff.

But I know a couple "watch people", and I was talking to them about the Apple Watch the other day. By "watch people", I mean people who love watches, who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on "fine timepieces" and have watch collections. I guess that's who the Watch Edition is supposed to appeal to. But the thing is none of the "watch people" I know are at all interested in any of the Apple Watches, including the Edition. They only want beautiful mechanical watches. The mechanics are part of the appeal. They talk about things like "Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute" and "COSC certification". I must admit, I don't really understand all the details, but I really don't see the Apple Watch, or any smartwatch really, cracking this market.

Do you know of these kinds of watch people? Do they want an Apple Watch?

I use to spend a lot of money on watches, and I don't have a single one right now. I would go and check out watches, and pick one up on various aspects like fit and finish and etc. I may not have been a hardcore Rolex guy, but the high end Movados I had were immaculate. For me the cost of it versus the benefit hit an inflection point after the iPhone. When I met my wife, I was trying to explain to her the difference of buying something for "Style" vs getting something that was well designed. For our first Christmas together I got for her a mid-level Movado, and she fell in love with it. It has been her only watch since we met, and she has been trying to get me to pick out a watch for her to get for me. My reply was "What I want I can't justify anymore, I'd rather wait and see if Apple does something."

When the Apple Watch was officially announced I was nerding out at what was shown, and had a crude understanding of the pricing and etc.

For a couple hundred more then I bought a classic movement watch before I have a 38mm SS, 42mm SS, 38mm Sports Band, 42mm Sports Band, 42mm Link, 42mm Classic Leather, 38mm Modern Buck, and 38mm Milanese Loop. I can justify that for my wife and I.

What people "love" about all of these types of things will vary. I loved how immaculate and well designed the watches I had before were. It's was hard for me to justify between $2k on the bottom end for an object on my wrist that just told time for just myself. The Link Bracelet Apple is selling is easily within the tier of those kinds of bands. Getting anything adjusted on a good band will cost you about $80 each visit. Places that could do it for less money won't even touch the band out of fear of being liable if they nick the band in my area. I value being able to adjust it myself.

It may not be for everyone that loves watches I get that. I love driving cars, but I have a 2015 VW GLI SEL instead of getting a BMW M-series. Would I love an M-Series, absolutely but these interests can add up quickly and at some point you have to rationalize it.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the Apple Watch will primarily appeal to those Apple iPhone customers who are looking to keep their iPhones in their pockets or bags, except when they really have to use the larger screen. Mechanical watch aficionados are not necessarily part of this customer base, but certainly could be. I think mechanical watches are a marvel, and enjoyed owning some over the years. Over time, however, my technophile tendencies, and modest pocket book, forced me to drop that fantasy and focus on the more affordable technology solutions. Apple has filled this itch for me over the past 30 years.

The Apple Watch Edition allows those people who are accustomed to spending thousands of dollars on watches, but still regularly use an iPhone, an outlet for using this new technology, as well, without downgrading their wardrobe when they're out and about. Additionally, those wealthy people who regularly wear high-end mechanical timepieces and are also technophiles, will also now have an option for using the new Apple technology visibly for the same reason. I think it's a good thing to offer this group this option. It also highlights the aspirational image the Apple cultivates with its technology.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it be considered the most advanced timepiece ever created regardless?

Technically yes. I guess it depends on how you define "advanced". There's some pretty advanced (precision wise) mechanical technology in premium watches.

But it's not the word "advanced" that I was focusing on. It's the word "timepiece". Calling it a "timepiece" instead of a "watch" definitely invites comparisons to the luxury watch market.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think traction for the Apple Watch will vary according to the demographics, but personally I don't find any reason to get an Apple Watch over a Moto 360 or LG watch, simply because I am satisfied with the capabilities Android wear already has. Would I say that Apple should have priced these watches lower though? Absolutely, since I always maintained a view of how luxury watches should be priced, and how pricing for luxury watches shouldn't be taken lightly...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
As others have said the Apple watch is not for everyone one. For one thing you MUST be an iphone owner to use one, for another not everyone needs or wants a smart watch. I think some luxury watch buyers WILL get it, and some other iphone owners who can afford it will also buy the Edition model, but yes many will opt out. This being said I don't believe they need all iphone owners to buy the watch in order for it to be a success. And I also don't think the Edition model will be a loss for the, they will sell plenty. The same type people who buy Porsche or Ferrari "designed" phones, or the exotic sports cars themselves. The same types who as JP pointed out spend thousands on multiple other watches. These people, or some of them at least will buy it. Me on the other hand can barely afford the Sport model, but rest assured they will sell plenty of those!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
As others have said the Apple watch is not for everyone one. For one thing you MUST be an iphone owner to use one, for another not everyone needs or wants a smart watch. I think some luxury watch buyers WILL get it, and some other iphone owners who can afford it will also buy the Edition model, but yes many will opt out. This being said I don't believe they need all iphone owners to buy the watch in order for it to be a success. And I also don't think the Edition model will be a loss for the, they will sell plenty. The same type people who buy Porsche or Ferrari "designed" phones, or the exotic sports cars themselves. The same types who as JP pointed out spend thousands on multiple other watches. These people, or some of them at least will buy it. Me on the other hand can barely afford the Sport model, but rest assured they will sell plenty of those!

Did I read somewhere that the goal is 5% of all iPhone users is the target number Apple is trying to hit?

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Some people who loves watches and spend thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars on watches (such as Rolex and Paket Philippe) have no interest in smart watches as a whole. They buy watches and past them down to future generations because they hold there value and appreciate. Technology depreciates so their interest in a smart watch wouldn't be high. This is no loss for Apple because these individuals are not the company's target market.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Some people who loves watches and spend thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars on watches (such as Rolex and Paket Philippe) have no interest in smart watches as a whole. They buy watches and past them down to future generations because they hold there value and appreciate. Technology depreciates so their interest in a smart watch wouldn't be high. This is no loss for Apple because these individuals are not the company's target market.

Very insighful

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
That's just guesses by "analysts" and tech bloggers. Apple hasn't said a word about what their targets are.

I was thinking that Apple doesn't usually talk about that, but I had thought I heard it somewhere. I was assume maybe they put out a low number that they knew they would hit to be able to say "it's a success". But you're probably right, just analysts and bloggers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR