I don't think the Apple Watch is gaining interest with "watch people"?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel like the Apple Watch is being marketed really well to people who don't currently wear watches. Or to people who just a one or two basic watches. Basically, it's a watch but better because it does so much cool stuff.

But I know a couple "watch people", and I was talking to them about the Apple Watch the other day. By "watch people", I mean people who love watches, who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on "fine timepieces" and have watch collections. I guess that's who the Watch Edition is supposed to appeal to. But the thing is none of the "watch people" I know are at all interested in any of the Apple Watches, including the Edition. They only want beautiful mechanical watches. The mechanics are part of the appeal. They talk about things like "Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute" and "COSC certification". I must admit, I don't really understand all the details, but I really don't see the Apple Watch, or any smartwatch really, cracking this market.

Do you know of these kinds of watch people? Do they want an Apple Watch?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Apple Watch is gaining interest with "watch people"?

So what? I couldn't care less what they think.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The Watch won be for everyone and it certainly wont be for everyone right out the gate. These "watch aficionados" are not who Apple are going after. Just like all other Apple devices I think Apple is trying to make smartwatches mainstream.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
A million people were interested on preorder day 1. Does it matter if that million were watch aficionados?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't care less what anyone thinks....much less a watch aficionado. Although, I am looking forward to hear what my idiotic, Apple hating brother-in-law says about my purchase. The same guy that will spend $500 on a bottle of beer....

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
the questions is, do these "watch people" have smart phones and are they the techy type? if they have a blackberry curve to go along with their rolex? maybe i am talking out my @$$ here but i think most watch people may be of the older generation who still wear watches and dont care for the latest tech

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't care less what anyone thinks....much less a watch aficionado. Although, I am looking forward to hear what my idiotic, Apple hating brother-in-law says about my purchase. The same guy that will spend $500 on a bottle of beer....

Isn't that the truth? I have family that think nothing of getting a new car every year or so, but question why I would spend the money on an Apple product. :rolleyes:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that the truth? I have family that think nothing of getting a new car every year or so, but question why I would spend the money on an Apple product. :rolleyes:

Ha you think that's bad I have a friend that says to me "Why would you buy an Watch for that kind of money?". The same friend has a Pebble lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Minuscule sample size...kind of makes the entire idea behind this thread moot, since we could assign all kinds of assumptions after asking 2-3 people.

I also know a couple of people who wear watches all the time...both of them pre-ordered an Apple Watch, so by your logic, I could make a counter argument saying "I think the Apple Watch is gaining major interest with 'watch people'!"

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
All I can say is that I saw a post that the sales of traditional watches are at a standstill right now. Which makes sense how many people have you heard say I was considering a smartwatch but I held of because I wanted to see what Apple does.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Minuscule sample size...kind of makes the entire idea behind this thread moot, since we could assign all kinds of assumptions after asking 2-3 people.

I also know a couple of people who wear watches all the time...both of them pre-ordered an Apple Watch, so by your logic, I could make a counter argument saying "I think the Apple Watch is gaining major interest with 'watch people'!"
Can't argue with you there. Just starting a discussion based on an experience. Curious to get everyone's thoughts.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Ha you think that's bad I have a friend that says to me "Why would you buy an Watch for that kind of money?". The same friend has a Pebble lol
I don't know. I have to disagree with you there. I have a Pebble, and at the <$100 price point, it was easy for me to justify. I wanted something that did sleep tracking. The Pebble and the Fitbit Flex were only about $10 - $20 different and the Pebble does SO much more.

I'm not saying that you (or anyone else) shouldn't get a Apple Watch, but I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to get one at the $350 price point. $350 vs $100 is a BIG difference. And I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to do anything that I want enough justify my spending the extra money. I think I'm resolved to take the wait and see approach.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people are practical and have simply decided that they do not want an Watch. Period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice