How could Apple have made the pre-order better?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I live in Canada so the pre-order happened at 3AM for me. So I had to set my alarm, not miss it and also try not to wake up my wife. All for the 5 or 10 minutes it took me to order. I was thinking there's gotta be a better way. Why does pre-orders have to begin at 12 Pacific?
My first choice would be for pre-orders to start at an earlier time like 5PM Pacific. This way it's in the evening so most people are either home or somewhere with a computer. It's evening time which means more people are awake for more pre-orders. This would mean other timezones would be in the morning. So split the pre-orders by timezones. So a second pre-order would go live for other timezones when it is morning time or evening time for them. You take the number of units that are available for pre-order and cut it in half. Ideally my thought is to have all timezones start at a specific time so 9PM in all timezones with a staggered pre-order. This would be more difficult because pre-order units would have to be divided up by timezone. However it is not something the end user would see. Anything you wish they had done differently or additionally that would make it better?

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess if it's the middle of the night, they aren't AS overwhelmed by orders as if everyone had been awake.

If I could change anything, it would be that they actually had watches in stock for people who ordered within the first hour or two...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Nanci. It would have been nice if Apple has Watches immediately available for shipment or at least a million or so on hand to sell within 24 hours.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think their choice of midnight is due to the downtime of the store. They could figure out how to launch without that downtime and they could change the launch time more easily. I would guess that given that they don't invest any effort to improve this, the timezone hoops would also be more effort then they wish to bother with. Plus this would be pretty easy to game. As others have said, they probably couldn't handle the load if more people were awake to handle the load.

I largely agree to the spirit of your ideas. I just think they aren't prioritizing any changes to a launch. This time went pretty smooth for me - less glitchy and quicker then a phone preorder. But probably less people.

I think they put efforts instead into making as many of them as they can.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps I just don't see it the way you guys do. I do agree with all of your points. I agree with the possible overload with more people awake. I agree that the downtime of the store could also be another reason. I agree that it easier. I also think Apple is a huge company with billions of dollars. I think there are ways they could find solutions to all the problems listed for the good of the user. I think the aspect of more people being awake is also a plus for them. If they figure out how to fix the overload issue then that is more pre-orders for them. They could also make the Watch pre-order site a separate site so it just goes live at pre-order time instead of the store going down for changes. I got up and ordered my watch so obviously I'm not cranky about the process. As a user I just think it could be better.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I just don't see it the way you guys do. I do agree with all of your points. I agree with the possible overload with more people awake. I agree that the downtime of the store could also be another reason. I agree that it easier. I also think Apple is a huge company with billions of dollars. I think there are ways they could find solutions to all the problems listed for the good of the user. I think the aspect of more people being awake is also a plus for them. If they figure out how to fix the overload issue then that is more pre-orders for them. They could also make the Watch pre-order site a separate site so it just goes live at pre-order time instead of the store going down for changes. I got up and ordered my watch so obviously I'm not cranky about the process. As a user I just think it could be better.

That's an interesting idea about a separate site. I think though that it would possibly limit customers finding it. They could effect the same thing by throwing more hardware at it. It appears they are getting better at predicting store load at launch. That says to me that they are doing that to some degree. As none of that makes ship dates any sooner or more devices available I don't think they will change it. Agreed it would be more friendly experience and probably worth the expense.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting idea about a separate site. I think though that it would possibly limit customers finding it. They could effect the same thing by throwing more hardware at it. It appears they are getting better at predicting store load at launch. That says to me that they are doing that to some degree. As none of that makes ship dates any sooner or more devices available I don't think they will change it. Agreed it would be more friendly experience and probably worth the expense.

The lengthy launch takedown is ridiculous.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I guess eventually they will get there but I think Apple is a company of habit and I don't know if all the ducks were in place that they would switch the midnight time. Since I've never bought a competitor's device new I wonder if they face the same kind of issues?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that the MS Band was like the watch in that available stock didn't meet demand. I made a reservation to have one sent to the store for a try on appointment. If I liked it I could but it. Despite several emails from me to the store rep it never happened. Makes me wonder how few they actually made.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I can tell you that the MS Band was like the watch in that available stock didn't meet demand. I made a reservation to have one sent to the store for a try on appointment. If I liked it I could but it. Despite several emails from me to the store rep it never happened. Makes me wonder how few they actually made.

wow that is a very crappy experience :(

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I don't see the "more people are awake" argument holding much credibility. As the old saying goes, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere. Midnight in Cupertino is morning (8-11 am) in EMEA and afternoon/eveningi (3-5 pm) in JAPA.

Launching at midnight in Cupertino only really impacts North/South America.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I also think is because of the overload it will cause if is in the middle of the day.
And another point would be that only the die hards would be willing to wake up at 3am to pre-order. So is a reward for the die hards to get it first before everyone else.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I also think is because of the overload it will cause if is in the middle of the day.
And another point would be that only the die hards would be willing to wake up at 3am to pre-order. So is a reward for the die hards to get it first before everyone else.
I like this perspective I never thought of that.

I don't see the "more people are awake" argument holding much credibility. As the old saying goes, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere. Midnight in Cupertino is morning (8-11 am) in EMEA and afternoon/eveningi (3-5 pm) in JAPA.

Launching at midnight in Cupertino only really impacts North/South America.

Which is why I said they would have a two stage roll out so that no timezone has to suffer for the other.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For the folks that preordered at 12am pacific. Is your delivery date 4/24? Anybody one make it before they sold out?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish they had more stock- I think those of us who got up at 3am to order should know by now if we will have the watch for launch day. I got in right away and had my confirmation email by 3:04. My date is 4/24-5/8- that's ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone 6

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73