Watch screen vs. the sun

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I know Pebble went with eInk to eliminate glare in direct sunlight, do you think Apple's choice to go with a more standard screen will make the Apple Watch problematic to use outside during the day?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, under direct sunlight it will be problematic. I've heard a few reviewers mention that issue in their articles.

With that being said, I don’t think it will cause too much pain in day-to-day use. And that screen is so beautiful to look at, I’ll take the tradeoff.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I wonder how problematic it will be to say just check the time. I guess you kind of turn the screen toward you and block the sun with your arm right?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For me it will be mostly reminders and notifications. That shouldn't be an issue in the Sun.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
same here I've never really had a problem with sun on my iPhone or iPad which stands to reason I shouldn't with the watch either.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
not sure, they wouldn't let me take it outside on my appointment haha. I know the anti glare screen protector on my iphone helps with the sun, so maybe we need anti glare screen protectors on the watches :not-interested:

gothicgeek

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
For what I've read the  Watch uses an amoled display, and typically these types of displays work better in sunlight than standard LCD screens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods