Would you be interested in an Apple Watch that had data service?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Since the Apple Watch has to be connected to an iPhone to serve any real purpose, how would you feel about an Apple Watch that could be added to your cellular data plan (similar to a tablet) and always be connected to cellular service? You could easily exercise, go to a meeting or fit in a round of golf without having to drag along your cell phone. If this feature was available in a future Apple Watch, would you use it? General thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With my initial thought, I wouldn't be interested. For one, I don't want an additional monthly fee...;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D - You flat out don't want a monthly fee? Would you consider it if you could add it to an existing plan and use that data for maybe $10 a month?

I probably would consider it, but as I stated above, i really haven't given it much thought. ....

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Might be cool. Just ended up not liking the interface on the watch enough to really be interested though. It's crazy how complicated it was to me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I had u limited data I'd love for the watch to be stand alone

Dang, your post reminded me that I still have unlimited data with AT&T. Well, that just kicked my initial thought to the curb...(laughing)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Might be cool. Just ended up not liking the interface on the watch enough to really be interested though. It's crazy how complicated it was to me.

I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet - what made it so complicated? I'm surprised to hear that because I've only heard how intuitive the navigation is.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
In another thread we were talking about if the Watch is lost or stolen. The limited connectivity really limits the findmyiphone function I would assume. This would be one pro having the data plan.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Since the Apple Watch has to be connected to an iPhone to serve any real purpose, how would you feel about an Apple Watch that could be added to your cellular data plan (similar to a tablet) and always be connected to cellular service? You could easily exercise, go to a meeting or fit in a round of golf without having to drag along your cell phone. If this feature was available in a future Apple Watch, would you use it? General thoughts?

Um... no. Just no.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
In another thread we were talking about if the Watch is lost or stolen. The limited connectivity really limits the findmyiphone function I would assume. This would be one pro having the data plan.

Great point - I didn't even think of that. Plus there's no GPS functionality (to my knowledge) in the Apple Watch. So if you lose that sucker, it's probably gone for good (better not be an Edition).

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

It's only complicated in the beginning.
It's a new product... It will have a learning curve. Is just that everyone is so used to the iOS UI that when something new comes out, they are not comfortable.
If you really think about... once you learn the watch UI and get all set up how you like... It will be easy to use.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Did anybody say golf?
Sounds like a good idea. But no thanks for me. Not another monthly bill for the carriers to rip me off.
I will always be carrying my phone with me... So I don't see a need for the watch to need its own data.
Is almost like the iPad. I don't need a data on my iPad. There's free wifi almost everywhere I go.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It's only complicated in the beginning.
It's a new product... It will have a learning curve. Is just that everyone is so used to the iOS UI that when something new comes out, they are not comfortable.
If you really think about... once you learn the watch UI and get all set up how you like... It will be easy to use.

I guess I just really didn't feel compelled to actually learn it for some reason. I really only wanted it to check certain things while I'm at work and can't have my phone out.

To be honest, it's probably more productive for me to not get this watch.

I'll eventually get one I believe but right now I don't think I'll be amongst any early adopters.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If the data meant a subsidized price I might consider it. It could also be like the iPad where you can add data when you want and take it off when you want. The battery life might be worst but the reaction would be snappier since the watch wouldn't need the iPhone to do all the heavy lifting. There would be a data model and a wifi only model so it would be the user's choice which trade off they were willing to accept.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2