Some developers say the first round of Apple Watch apps will suck. (Articles, discussion, etc)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I was just reading a couple of articles that basically said that some developers are saying that the first round of Apple Watch apps will suck because of restriction that Apple has put on the Watch development kit. I tried to summarize some of the key points below. What do yall think? Is this just internet hate? Would something like this make you wait to purchase to see if things approve.

• Too much computing is done on the phone instead of the watch, even for very simple tasks. This mean apps are useless without the phone paired, even if it's something that could be done direct on the Watch.
  • No dynamic transitions or animations. Even basic animation to make apps seems responsive are restricted. Animation have to be rendered on the phone and sent to the watch as the equivalent of a gif.
  • Also you can't animate just one element on the screen. Animation have to be full screen or nothing.
  • The touch screen can only recognize basic taps, long press, and swipes. For example you can click and drag.
  • Not all apps are allow to access the same things. Apple's 1st party apps and preferred partner apps can do things that 3rd party apps can't like run natively on the phone, receive advanced gestures, access the microphone.

Source links:
The first wave of Apple Watch apps may suck, say developers | News | TechRadar
Why The First Apple Watch Apps Will Suck | Co.Design | business + design

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I could care less what other main stream developers think, It's me that will be using it. I might find a lot of apps useful, but I may think other ones are bad.

I think someone is just piping in some jump spin off news to make things seem what they are not.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they have a few valid points. . . . Although, without using the watch for extended periods, I'm just speculating.

With that being said, I think some developers are looking for excuses because they are not sure what a watch app should look like at this point.

Mr_Kracker

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Interesting points raised, but they all appear (to me) to point towards the power issues and confirm what we already know about the battery restraints.

The benefit of the iPhone for v1.0 at least, is that it "can take a load of" allowing to watch to take it easy, for now.

How I see it anyway :)

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just hope the data transfer rate (between watch and phone) is fast enough not to slow the applications down to a crawl.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it's part "grass is always greener" and part growing pains. The devs don't know what the watch can handle. If their apps develop memory leaks, make a slow, painful experience they don't deal with user's hatred Apple does. I think Apple is playing it safe and doing it this way so when the floodgates open and millions of users hit this thing they will be able to get a good if not great experience. I'm not worried and I'm sure it will get better over time. Realize if Apple had opened everything up the same devs would be complaining that having everything being done on the watch makes their apps slow and people not want to use it.

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Todays tech will always be better than last years tech, but never as good as next years tech. If your going to wait for next years tech, you will never purchase anything, because there will always be better tech coming in the future.

My thoughts.... buy todays tech now, enjoy it, take care of it, and sell it right before the new tech comes out. you'll loose a little when you sell, but you'll always have the latest tech.

Gazelle is my friend

Cody

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Todays tech will always be better than last years tech, but never as good as next years tech. If your going to wait for next years tech, you will never purchase anything, because there will always be better tech coming in the future.

My thoughts.... buy todays tech now, enjoy it, take care of it, and sell it right before the new tech comes out. you'll loose a little when you sell, but you'll always have the latest tech.

Gazelle is my friend

Cody

Gazelle sucks. I always sell my stuff on Swappa, and get much more than Gazelle is willing to pay. ;)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure they have a few valid points. . . . Although, without using the watch for extended periods, I'm just speculating.

With that being said, I think some developers are looking for excuses because they are not sure what a watch app should look like at this point.

That's a good point. Apple definitely has a vision for their watch and developers who don't see that vision (or disagree with it) will have a hard time with their apps.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I could care less what other main stream developers think, It's me that will be using it. I might find a lot of apps useful, but I may think other ones are bad.

I think someone is just piping in some jump spin off news to make things seem what they are not.

'Nuf said...

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I am sure that the first few apps will suck. I mean look at the App Store's first year of games on it. I think a crappy tower defense was the best game for like 2 years. But the first developers on it will have better chances of striking it big.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Some apps and their developers will definitely have issues and hurdles for a while. But there will be plenty of great Watch apps to keep us satisfied. And it will get better later this year. All the stock Watch apps should all work OK. I don't want a whole bunch of halfed baked apps. I just want a few really good Watch apps to help simplify my day. Most things I'll still use on my phone. But a reminder to take my meds on the Watch would be cool. I want to keep it simple, useful, and practical.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the Watch receives software updates like Apple's other products then that would render certain concerns moot.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Of course they will suck... Developers still have to learn the  watch. Not only learn the watch itself but they also need to learn what people want on their watch... well the people don't even know what they want on their watch yet. So it will take some time... but it will get there.
That's one of the greatest thing about the Apple ecosystem. Developers are willing to put a lot of hours and bring the best apps to the Apple community because is worth it. Apple always gets the best apps and gets them first before everyone else.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Of course they will suck... Developers still have to learn the  watch. Not only learn the watch itself but they also need to learn what people want on their watch... well the people don't even know what they want on their watch yet. So it will take some time... but it will get there.
That's one of the greatest thing about the Apple ecosystem. Developers are willing to put a lot of hours and bring the best apps to the Apple community because is worth it. Apple always gets the best apps and gets them first before everyone else.

So does that make you want to wait?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This is a good read to understanding Apple's approach on Watch apps.
https://developer.apple.com/library...nce/Conceptual/WatchHumanInterfaceGuidelines/

It seems to me that any restrictions or limitations are there to keep the app experience tight.
So it can be a challenge for developers to make a great app within the guidelines that Apple had laid out.
If the flood gates were open Apple would maybe have to spend too much evaluating apps. By placing certain guidelines less time would be spent evaluating apps.
So if any apps "suck" those developers are making them suck instead of being creative under the guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is a good read to understanding Apple's approach on Watch apps.
https://developer.apple.com/library...nce/Conceptual/WatchHumanInterfaceGuidelines/

It seems to me that any restrictions or limitations are there to keep the app experience tight.
So it can be a challenge for developers to make a great app within the guidelines that Apple had laid out.
If the flood gates were open Apple would maybe have to spend too much evaluating apps. By placing certain guidelines less time would be spent evaluating apps.
So if any apps "suck" those developers are making them suck instead of being creative under the guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah, but Apple is, indeed, playing favorites. Shazam is one example.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2