Your Thoughts: Apple Watch Purchase Process

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I came across this article the other day and was a bit perturbed about the process to purchase the Watch (after launch) in the store. I didn't realize you need to make an appointment for a showing before you can buy it. I'm the type of person that let's my fingers do the walking, researching on the internet for hours until I make an educated decision and buy. Why do I need someone at the store to validate my needs?

Source: Want An Apple Watch? Better Have An Appointment At An Apple Store

Kind of curious what your thoughts are on this?

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No you don't have to make an appointment before you can buy it. You can go online and pre-order it anytime. The appointment is so you can try it on and see what fits and what style you like if you want to. I pre-ordered mine on Friday. I did make an appointment on Saturday just to confirm that I was satisfied with my pre-order.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Buy online - have it shipped.

No you don't have to make an appointment before you can buy it. You can go online and pre-order it anytime. The appointment is so you can try it on and see what fits and what style you like if you want to. I pre-ordered mine on Friday. I did make an appointment on Saturday just to confirm that I was satisfied with my pre-order.

I concur.

Guess I should've also mentioned... I have a thing about ordering certain products online... for gadget type devices like this, I like to buy it and have it right away. I know, it's better to just be patient and wait for it to ship so I can skip this process. I guess at the end of the day, if there's someone out there that impulsively decides, "You know what? I'm going to go get the Apple watch after all" it's not a possibility without a showing. I just find it odd.

Mr_Kracker

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I see apple customer services are emailing surveys now to those that have tried the in store try on experiences.

I quite happily filled mine in for all of five minutes.

It's good to see a proactive approach is being taken.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think a few things are going on here. First, there's the complex issue of ramping up production and guessing on the correct mix for packaging from all the model/band options. Secondly, there's Apple's attempt to kill off the scalpers crowding into line to buy all available product to ship overseas, which was killing the opening day buying experience for regular local buyers. And, next there's the issue of making sure store buyers understand the first generation Apple Watch is not a standalone product, and needs a more recent iPhone model, to preclude disappointment after the sale.

The demo appointments helped to control the in-store experience, and assured if someone did buy after checking out their interested model, that the sale would be a happy one.

Finally, Apple stores have little inventory storage, so guessing how many of which model to stock of something to not waste storage space and meet local demand is not a trivial matter. By resorting to online orders only to start, it can bypass this issue. Once it has some actual buying history to draw on, it can better decide which models to stock for future walk-in buyers.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a situation where they are trying to justify your purchase in the store...this is a situation where they are ONLY allowing online orders right now, so even if you go into the store, you're still going to get an online order (they're just going to do it for you).

When Apple releases these watches to buy in the store eventually, you will be able to just walk in and buy it like you prefer...it's just not an option right now.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When Apple releases these watches to buy in the store eventually, you will be able to just walk in and buy it like you prefer...it's just not an option right now.

Has Apple given any kind of indication when they'd would open it up to in-store purchasing?

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Guess I should've also mentioned... I have a thing about ordering certain products online... for gadget type devices like this, I like to buy it and have it right away. I know, it's better to just be patient and wait for it to ship so I can skip this process. I guess at the end of the day, if there's someone out there that impulsively decides, "You know what? I'm going to go get the Apple watch after all" it's not a possibility without a showing. I just find it odd.

Oh I understand completely. I was unhappy to hear that I couldn't just walk into the store and buy it. I had to grudgingly pre-order it and wait for it to come 👾

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I don't really get what you're asking. It's a case of short supply and much more demand. If you researched this at all you would know the best way to get it the quickest was to preorder asap. If you weren't sure of which one, order both, try it on in store, cancel the one you didn't want.

Would it have went better to have try outs before preorders? Not really. Not if you want to immediately have the customer buy one (online at the store) after tryout.

Would it have been better for Apple to change the order process? What I mean is, pick watch, pick band, checkout. Having both band and watch in same box isn't needed, it just complicates things.

For sure, I'd have gotten SS watch for 550. Then the leather band for 149. That comes to 699. But at least I'd have option to return band and get another or change order for the band only. Say I wanted Milanese instead (I don't), I have to cancel my apr 24 order and reorder the whole thing and wait til June.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711