I live in Canada which means half the year it's freezing cold and full of snow. When the Watch was debuted I thought about that fact and how it would work during the Winter months. Anyone else a little apprehensive about the winter time?
    When it's -30 or colder probably about the only thing I will be able to do on my Watch when I'm outside is look at the time. I know there are already gloves for touch screen which mitigates a little of my concern. It's not an end of the world kind of issue just a thought.
    04-13-2015 01:13 PM
    I imagine the cold weather precautions one should take are going to be similar to iPhones... plan on that at least until there's some more/better guidance....
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-13-2015 01:19 PM
    yeah once I get it and go through my first winter I'll know more. I guess I'm a little bummed about not being able to use the functions for of the year. In my assumption of how it will work in the winter. It's not Apple's fault they can't do anything about winter. Like I said it's not an issue just a thought of mine.
    04-13-2015 01:26 PM
    If it is like my iPhone it will work just fine, and since you have it on your arm you should be able to keep it nice and warm. But of course leaving it out in the car won't be good.
    04-13-2015 01:29 PM
    You could use Siri with voice.
    Bigeric23 likes this.
    04-13-2015 01:38 PM
    Just migrate south for the winter! You get a nice vacation with your shiny new Apple Watch on the beach
    04-13-2015 02:12 PM
    I still have to have my hand out in the cold to do it.

If it is like my iPhone it will work just fine, and since you have it on your arm you should be able to keep it nice and warm. But of course leaving it out in the car won't be good.
    I was more thinking about having my hand out but with gloves on it probably wont be a big deal. Like I was saying after going through one winter I guess I'll know what's up. I was just wondering if any other winter warriors out there also had concerns.

Just migrate south for the winter! You get a nice vacation with your shiny new Apple Watch on the beach
    I like the way you think, by far the best answer in this thread
    boovish likes this.
    04-13-2015 02:16 PM
    I still have to have my hand out in the cold to do it.
    You said, "probably about the only thing I will be able to do on my Watch when I'm outside is look at the time" which implies you're willing to expose the Watch/your wrist.

I live in Wisconsin, so I live with fairly long cold seasons too. I'm sure pulling up my sleeve for a few seconds won't be that much of an issue.
    04-13-2015 02:43 PM
    You said, "probably about the only thing I will be able to do on my Watch when I'm outside is look at the time" which implies you're willing to expose the Watch/your wrist.

I live in Wisconsin, so I live with fairly long cold seasons too. I'm sure pulling up my sleeve for a few seconds won't be that much of an issue.
    What I meant by that is that I'm willing to pull my hand out of my pockets to take a look at the time and stuff them back. If I'm using Siri it's going to take a lot longer than 1-5 seconds. I think anything other than looking at the time or a notification that doesn't require action will take longer than 1-5 seconds.
    04-13-2015 03:36 PM
    I live in Canada which means half the year it's freezing cold and full of snow.
    I'm also Canadian, and was thinking exactly this. I think it's no different from how things are with an iPhone. Either pull off your gloves to interact with the device, or wait until you're home.

Or if you have your ear buds connected to the phone, you can use them to do Siri. Still requires taking off one glove, to push the button and get Siri's attention though.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-13-2015 04:14 PM
    I'm also Canadian, and was thinking exactly this. I think it's no different from how things are with an iPhone. Either pull off your gloves to interact with the device, or wait until you're home.

Or if you have your ear buds connected to the phone, you can use them to do Siri. Still requires taking off one glove, to push the button and get Siri's attention though.
    OK good I just wanted to know I'm not alone in this lol
    04-13-2015 04:16 PM

"Hey, Siri..." No button push required.

From the Apple site. -- Siri makes interacting with Apple Watch even easier. Just raise your wrist and say, “Hey Siri, open the Workout app.” “Hey Siri, where’s the nearest coffee shop?” Or “Hey Siri, call Elizabeth.”
    04-13-2015 05:07 PM
    Yeah, I get that. I'm not sure how practical it is when you're outside in the cold, covered in heavy coats, gloves and hats. Time will tell.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-13-2015 05:13 PM

From the Apple site. -- Siri makes interacting with Apple Watch even easier. Just raise your wrist and say, Hey Siri, open the Workout app. Hey Siri, wheres the nearest coffee shop? Or Hey Siri, call Elizabeth.
    This will be great when Siri gets better. I've continually asked Siri something as simple as "What's the time?" and had her not understand, didn't hear what you said or just plain not answer. It's frustrating and that has prevented me from using Siri more like I actually make an effort to every month.
    04-13-2015 05:41 PM
    For dictating though instead of typing quick messages, I find that Siri works very well.
    04-13-2015 06:47 PM
    Interesting topic! I didn't think about the functionality stand point, I was thinking about the temperatures damaging the device. I live in the Northern states and we get hit with some pretty nasty winter storms and frigid temperatures (with the wind chill added in). I wonder if that could crack the face?
    04-13-2015 10:06 PM
    Interesting topic! I didn't think about the functionality stand point, I was thinking about the temperatures damaging the device. I live in the Northern states and we get hit with some pretty nasty winter storms and frigid temperatures (with the wind chill added in). I wonder if that could crack the face?
    I was thinking more in terms of usability. Apple sells globally so they must test the hardware for all kinds of climates. In all the years I've used my iPhones this was the first year I got a temp warning in the winter. It was like -40 and I had the iPhone in my jacket pocket. I noticed the music getting spotty until it just stopped playing. When I pulled out my phone it has the warning on the screen. I put it in my jeans pocket and after a few minutes it was fine.
    04-13-2015 10:26 PM
    I was thinking more in terms of usability. Apple sells globally so they must test the hardware for all kinds of climates. In all the years I've used my iPhones this was the first year I got a temp warning in the winter. It was like -40 and I had the iPhone in my jacket pocket. I noticed the music getting spotty until it just stopped playing. When I pulled out my phone it has the warning on the screen. I put it in my jeans pocket and after a few minutes it was fine.
    Whoa, -40!? That's insane. It dips down into the negative teens/twenties and I think that's bad. Can't imagine those temperatures. I baby my phone - I usually keep it in my shirt pocket that's full covered in my coat (and sometimes a scarf too).
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-13-2015 10:28 PM
    That would be my plan, too.
    04-18-2015 09:58 AM
    I'm glad I have months before my first winter with the watch
    04-18-2015 02:08 PM