Anybody planning to buying at launch only to sell at a markup? Is that wrong?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not even going to bother replying to you Scatabrain because you quote everything said to you but you ignore the points that make sense against your argument. So continuing to argue is pointless in that case. Many have already said selling 1 or 2 units is not but multiple 10-20 etc is different. You ignored that comment and a bunch of other arguments. I've already asked you what happens if impatient people don't buy on EBay at marked up prices but wait? no answer.

The simple fact is the Watch is not a necessity. It is a want and the people paying the higher price have their own reasons why their want is so strong they can't wait 1-2 months.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not even going to bother replaying to you Scattabrain because you quote everything said to you but you ignore the points that make sense against your argument. So continuing to argue is pointless in that case. Many have already said selling 1 or 2 units is not but multiple 10-20 etc is different. You ignored that comment and a bunch of other arguments. I've already asked you what happens if impatient people don't buy on EBay at marked up prices but wait? no answer.

The simple fact is the Watch is not a necessity. It is a want and the people paying the higher price have their own reasons why their want is so strong they can't wait 1-2 months.

And scalpers take advantage of that want by snagging it and charging them for it. Creating an unfortunate opportunity. My opinion is that sucks. I'm not ignoring arguments. We just disagree.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
And scalpers take advantage of that want by snagging it and charging them for it. Creating an unfortunate opportunity. My opinion is that sucks. I'm not ignoring arguments. We just disagree.

No your opinion is that it's wrong. We all agree that it sucks, those that disagree with you disagree because you say it's wrong to do. There's a difference. You are ignoring arguments I asked " what happens if impatient people don't buy on EBay at marked up prices but wait?" you still haven't answered instead you went to saying scalpers take advantage of their want.

So I will answer the question. What would happen is that if people just pre-ordered and WAIT all the marked up items on EBay would either dry up and get returned to Apple to be sold at the regular price, the EBay items would go down to regular price or they would go below regular price if the item couldn't be returned.

You are blaming the seller when the buyers are the ones that set the price.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey so did I mention that I sold mine and will net around $100? I slept well that night if anyone was curious.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey so did I mention that I sold mine and will net around $100? I slept well that night if anyone was curious.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Dude you shouldn't feel any other way. It is the way the world works and yes there are exceptions to the rule but this is not one of them.
Everything sold, cars, electronics, clothes, shoes, food, etc. There is a markup on it otherwise companies wouldn't sell it because there would be no profit to be made. When you take your car in to have bodywork done or parts replaced. Everyone knows you're not paying what the garage bought the parts, materials for and that price is probably already marked up. Perfect example is fast food, you think it costs McDonalds 1 or 2 dollars for each cup of soda?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Dude you shouldn't feel any other way. It is the way the world works and yes there are exceptions to the rule but this is not one of them.
Everything sold, cars, electronics, clothes, shoes, food, etc. There is a markup on it otherwise companies wouldn't sell it because there would be no profit to be made. When you take your car in to have bodywork done or parts replaced. Everyone knows you're not paying what the garage bought the parts, materials for and that price is probably already marked up. Perfect example is fast food, you think it costs McDonalds 1 or 2 dollars for each cup of soda?

I guess I'm the inly ***** arguing that the artificial market created through limited supply is not the same thing as the free market. Apple's resellers abide by the price set by Apple. So that rules out all of the comparisons to other retail.

The car part markup is an interesting comparison but there is no scarcity. It is markup and you will pay it out of convenience but there is no limited supply that can be leveraged. If you don't like the price your mechanic charges, you can find another mechanic. The scalper has you. You want in, you gotta pay me a premium.

Some think this is ok and I don't. I'm not alone in my opinion (even if I'm the only ***** thick enough to bother with this thread). If you do, good for you. But there is no philosophical free market argument that is going to make scalping look good. You might like that you can benefit from it but if scalping was possible on a bigger scale and no one but a few funded parties could snatch up the launch product, you wouldn't be so eager to be praising the 'free market' you all keep talking about. But who knows. The fact that some here defend Ticketmaster leaves me dumbfounded.

No amount of taking advantage is good for the launch. Even on a limited 1 or 2 product level.

I posted an article on FB about the ebay listings. Across the board it was met (by normal people- not people that discuss product launches on forums - with huge negativity towards Apple. It really feeds into the story that we buy Apple products because we are sheep. And the negativity gets put on Apple. They make as many as they can. And the need is greater. And the exploitation begins.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The preorder on ebay is a new low for apple product launches. Congratz for your part in it.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As others have pointed out, the ticketmaster/event scalping analogy doesn't work because once a concert or game is sold out, its sold out forever.

The Watch along with other new Apple releases are a patience issue, not a supply issue.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
As others have pointed out, the ticketmaster analogy doesn't work because once a concert or game is sold out, its sold out forever.

The Watch along with other new Apple releases are a patience issue, not a supply issue.

Technically true but launch availability is analogous to the concert date. Otherwise there would be no preorders on ebay selling for 50% markup.

I am alone in this thread but not alone my opinion. Even this guy on BGR is calling this activity scamming.

http://bgr.com/2015/04/13/apple-watch-preorders-ebay-sales/

Rene and others discussed this type of unfortunate launch activity in a podcast before launch supposing that this is why Apple made it preorder only and had a low per account order limit. They are fighting back against this artificial market created by this activity.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
?
You might like that you can benefit from it but if scalping was possible on a bigger scale and no one but a few funded parties could snatch up the launch product, you wouldn't be so eager to be praising the 'free market' you all keep talking about.

Here's the difference between me and the people who don't have patience. I wouldn't care. It's a want not a need. If this happened I would say "Oh Well" and carry on with my life. I want a MacPro but at the price it sells for from Apple I can't justify buying one which is why I don't own one. It's not because I don't WANT one.
Those people who replied negatively to your FB post did you really expect differently? We are all cheap so ofcourse they don't want to pay more for the product. The simple fact that you can't explain away is no one, not the "scalper", not EBay, not Apple is forcing people to pay more money. If you think so go to third world countries where kids are being forced to fight for militia, people forced to pay for food and water grabbed by rebels. Then you will really understand what being forced means.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Technically true but launch availability is analogous to the concert date. Otherwise there would be no preorders on ebay selling for 50% markup.

If its true, then its true. The 50% markup is because people don't want to wait, not because there won't be any more for sale.

If a band is giving a concert in April and will be back in June, why would you pay more for the April ticket for the same concert ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There is a love-hate relationship to scalping. Those who want what is being sold, but don't want to pay the asking price hates it, but those who can afford it, love it. There is no infinite amount of products, whether it be Watches or tickets to sporting and concert events, and we can't assume that just because scalpers were able to acquire a few that those who missed out would have gotten the items at the official price. Think about it. If it was determined that 25 tickets were sold to scalpers and you were the 100th person in line.........Anyway, that's my 2?.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wait for the national anthem to start at a game. Ticket scalpers hate that song, which btw has nothing to do with their patriotism. :)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If its true, then its true. The 50% markup is because people don't want to wait, not because there won't be any more for sale.

If a band is giving a concert in April and will be back in June, why would you pay more for the April ticket for the same concert ?

Funny I was about to argue the exact thing in support of my argument not yours.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you don't like the price your mechanic charges, you can find another mechanic.

You just buried yourself here with this one sentence...lol. You cannot hold this stance in this scenario without applying it across the board to like scenarios...otherwise you're holding a double standard. In the same way you can find another mechanic, if you don't like the pricing of a release day watch, you purchase the watch in another fashion (IE: directly from Apple, with whatever wait time comes with such).

Thank you for making the comment that I quoted above...at least I know that even you know your argument holds no water, and that you're simply defending your initial stance out of stubbornness and nothing else.