Anybody planning to buying at launch only to sell at a markup? Is that wrong?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I must admit. I'm surprised to see more people arguing that it's ok to sell for profit than people arguing against it. I would have thought more people would have disliked that behavior.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I must admit. I'm surprised to see more people arguing that it's ok to sell for profit than people arguing against it. I would have thought more people would have disliked that behavior.

I've said it already and I'll say it again. The buyers are the ones who create the market. If there were no people to buy at the marked up price there would be no sellers. I will always stand by the fact that every person works for their own money. They spend it how they see fit because it is theirs. No one, not me, not you has the right to ever tell someone how to spend their money. So if a person would pay $200 over cost simply because they can't wait a month or two explain to me how it's wrong for a person to sell it to them. The simple fact is and someone asked it before. If the sellers were selling at a loss I wonder if the people who think it's wrong would still feel so then? I'm willing to bet not.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone in this thread thinks it sucks. Most of us just don't think it's wrong. Demand is higher than supply and so pushes the price up. Basic economics. And since this watch epitomizes a want not a need, I see nothing morally wrong with it.

Is that true? BreakingKayfabe, Ipheuria, SeanHRCC do you think it sucks? I only single yall out because yall were the main ones arguing that it's ok (but everyone can chime in). Just curious to get clarity.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You just buried yourself here with this one sentence...lol. You cannot hold this stance in this scenario without applying it across the board to like scenarios...otherwise you're holding a double standard. In the same way you can find another mechanic, if you don't like the pricing of a release day watch, you purchase the watch in another fashion (IE: directly from Apple, with whatever wait time comes with such).

Thank you for making the comment that I quoted above...at least I know that even you know your argument holds no water, and that you're simply defending your initial stance out of stubbornness and nothing else.

There is on release date Sean. You don't have a choice to get on release date. If scalpers hogged up all the stock we'd all agree. Now you have me repeating myself. This discussion is going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is that true? BreakingKayfabe, Ipheuria, SeanHRCC do you think it sucks? I only single yall out because yall were the main ones arguing that it's ok (but everyone can chime in). Just curious to get clarity.

It sucks to the extent that you have to pay more for what you want.

But the reality of it is that you are paying for the convenience of having what you want as soon as you can get it.

It sucks that gasoline is not $0.29/gallon like it was when I started driving. It sucks that my car cost over $40K and not $2000 like it was when I started driving. It sucks that my house cost about 15 times what my first house cost back in 1973.

Yes, it sucks, but that doesn't mean that any of these are wrong. It's just what it is.

And every thing has cost. You can pay with dollars, time or effort. Getting/staying up on launch day and fighting through the online crowds is effort. Save that effort and pay with (more) dollars.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had bought an extra at pre-order. Could have got $500 for the Sport 42mm. Space Gray. Too late now though.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The only time I ever have to buy products at an inflated cost is sporting events and concerts...do I enjoy it? Nope. But I also know that I don't HAVE to pay such prices to get these tickets, I just have to be willing to buy them at times when i might not want to (since sporting events tend to be spur of the moment, and concerts require me to get in line similarly to Apple products). It's a convenience factor thing...just like I've said this entire thread. I don't mind paying for convenience...doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Apple products are so universally different because you know EXACTLY when they are going to go on sale and you know EXACTLY what is going to happen when they go on sale/pre-order. I don't consider myself special...I don't have any special ins with Apple or employees who can hook me up with special privileges during pre-orders...I just stay up ridiculously late to pre-order them or I got wait in line at the store. I've got my new Apple devices EVERY year on release day...going on 8 years now.

If you're trying to tell me that I should feel bad that other people don't do the same thing and get the phone at the same time, you'll get no compassion from me...and if people make money off of these people's unwillingness to do what it takes to get the device on release day, why on earth would I have a problem with it? It's convenience...those people might not enjoy it, but they're getting what they want WHEN they want it...it just cost them more.

There is on release date Sean. You don't have a choice to get on release date. If scalpers hogged up all the stock we'd all agree. Now you have me repeating myself. This discussion is going nowhere.

I just go back to what I said before...I have a track record of getting the device on release day EVERY time without fail. This comes from simply understanding how the pre-ordering process works and adapting to such. I've never paid more than retail price for Apple products...other people don't want to do this or can't...and if they want to pay more money to skip this process, so be it!

Calling it "wrong" in such an enveloping way is just silly. Assigning this term "scalping" to anyone who makes a profit off these devices after release date is ridiculous. It's generalization at it's worst...and a complete lack of understanding of what the word actually means.

Person cheats the system and buys 25 iPhones with the intention of limiting supply to inflate cost? Sure...label them however you want and chastise them until you're blue in the face. Someone buys a product because they want it but decides to take advantage of a market full of inpatient people with money to burn...and you want to tell me that they are "wrong" for doing so? lol...F' off.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Scroll back up and look at some of my comments. I already said that we all think it sucks we just don't think it's wrong.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Guess that's the difference. I thinks its wrong because it sucks.

There are a lot of things that may "suck" but are not necessarily "wrong".

It might "suck" that that it has rained for 5 straight days. But that doesn't mean that it is "wrong".
It might "suck" that the Apple Watch costs $349 (to start). But that doesn't mean that it is "wrong".
It might "suck" that your favorite basketball team got eliminated from the playoffs in January. But that doesn't make it "wrong".
It might "suck" that it gets cold in the winter in Boston. But that doesn't make it "wrong".

Your rationale is flawed.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When someone wants to stupidly overpay for something because they didn't make the same effort others did or just have no patience, I don't think it sucks at all. A sporting event is one thing because it's a one shot deal like Sean said. Paying extra for something like that sucks for the person who wants those tickets but it's not stupid.

Someone who is willing to pay extra for an iPhone or an apple watch is just stupid. It's what comes with a caffeinated society. I think it sucks that we have to love amongst stupid people. Put yourself in the position of a person who didn't get an iPhone 6, for example. This person goes to Apple online and sees the shipping wait time is 4-6 weeks. This person has to have this thing so bad that he is willing to pay an extra $300 extra just so he doesn't have to wait for his phone to ship from Apple at the retail price. That's plain stupid. Why does that suck? Why does it suck that someone can make a little profit off that moron?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
There are a lot of things that may "suck" but are not necessarily "wrong".

It might "suck" that that it has rained for 5 straight days. But that doesn't mean that it is "wrong".
It might "suck" that the Apple Watch costs $349 (to start). But that doesn't mean that it is "wrong".
It might "suck" that your favorite basketball team got eliminated from the playoffs in January. But that doesn't make it "wrong".
It might "suck" that it gets cold in the winter in Boston. But that doesn't make it "wrong".

Your rationale is flawed.

Imagine how wrong Mae West was for sucking so much.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've said it already and I'll say it again. The buyers are the ones who create the market. If there were no people to buy at the marked up price there would be no sellers. I will always stand by the fact that every person works for their own money. They spend it how they see fit because it is theirs. No one, not me, not you has the right to ever tell someone how to spend their money. So if a person would pay $200 over cost simply because they can't wait a month or two explain to me how it's wrong for a person to sell it to them. The simple fact is and someone asked it before. If the sellers were selling at a loss I wonder if the people who think it's wrong would still feel so then? I'm willing to bet not.

You're talking old school here, my friend. Such common sense is reminiscent of the American way in regard to free markets. Didn't you get the memo that such thinking is outdated, old-fashioned and simply uncool in 2015?........C'mon man, get with today's program. Be entitled to things...(laughing)

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The Wire: Frank S "You know what's wrong with this country? We used to make s&@&. Now we just put our hands in the next guy's pocket."

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually watched it all and enjoyed it. I don't have any law enforcement background though. I'm guessing that makes a difference.

I'm not too familiar with The Wire but this comment made me wonder whether people with "experience" in the incarceration department enjoy Orange Is The New Black as much as the rest of us do. :laughing:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods