Anyone worried about damaging watch while working out?

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I know the watch is big on fitness but how safe is the watch from damage? I scratch the hell outta my pebble while working out with kettle bells. I stopped wearing it while I lift weights but if I'm paying $560 for my apple watch id like to wear it while working out so I can get its full use.

Anyone else wear a smart watch while lifting weights or kettlebells?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone worried about ranging watch while working out?

I never wear a watch while lifting, so . . . I don't think that will change with the Apple Watch.

If you are going to use the watch while lifting weights, my suggestion, make sure to purchase AppleCare+.

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

This is why I bought the steel. I watched a video where they went at the surface with a drill and there was no scratch. I plan to workout with mine and I am not easy on jewelry. I am not worried.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I never wear a watch while lifting, so . . . I don't think that will change with the Apple Watch.

If you are going to use the watch while lifting weights, my suggestion, make sure to purchase AppleCare+.

Ya apple care + is prolly the solution here.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
While I will def be getting apple care it would be annoying to have to pay the $69 to have my watch replaced due to a minor surface scratch.

I may look into some of the cases for workout purposes

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not me. I highly doubt I'll wear mine while at the gym. I rarely carry my iPhone to the gym.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Seems that is one of the main things apple is highlighting "To keep the Sport collection models as light as possible, we used an aluminosilicate glass that’s especially resistant to scratches and impact. It’s fortified at the molecular level through ion exchange, with smaller ions being replaced by larger ones to create a surface layer far tougher than ordinary glass."
Apple - Apple Watch - Sport

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Nope not worried that is the point as you say and if a drill can't scratch it I doubt a kettleball will... Though that's the steel/sapphire version they tested with the drill id like to see what (if anything) happens to the Sport under those conditions

mtlscream

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Like someone said... It's why I took the AppleCare + with my sport watch. Just in case. I doubt I'll need it but who knows and also it's a nice add-on when I'll sell it for the a 2nd generation model.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My main form of activity is trail running. I don't face plant often, but when I do, it's a doozy. I think even though I got the SS, I will get one of the Spigen cases to protect it while running. And- I work in a hospital with a lot of pushing/pulling heavy stuff, so maybe a clear Spigen flexible case for that. See how it goes. Probably if I'm out doing yard work or whatever it would be best to just leave it off.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My main form of activity is trail running. I don't face plant often, but when I do, it's a doozy. I think even though I got the SS, I will get one of the Spigen cases to protect it while running. And- I work in a hospital with a lot of pushing/pulling heavy stuff, so maybe a clear Spigen flexible case for that. See how it goes. Probably if I'm out doing yard work or whatever it would be best to just leave it off.

Case in point: I was out running Friday. Tripped on a root- almost caught myself- didn't. I instinctively curled both my wrists in to my chest and landed on my shoulder, then went skidding along the ground- head, shoulder, leg...My phone in my sports bra was safe, and the fitbit where I'd wear a watch got some dirt, but didn't get bashed. Yes, I will be putting some sort of portective case on the watch...

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Case in point: I was out running Friday. Tripped on a root- almost caught myself- didn't. I instinctively curled both my wrists in to my chest and landed on my shoulder, then went skidding along the ground- head, shoulder, leg...My phone in my sports bra was safe, and the fitbit where I'd wear a watch got some dirt, but didn't get bashed. Yes, I will be putting some sort of portective case on the watch...

Ouch. Hope you're ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The mid and high end models have sapphire glass, so that SHOULD hold up pretty well also. :)

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The mid and high end models have sapphire glass, so that SHOULD hold up pretty well also. :)

For sure. Weird that the sport version wouldn't have the sapphire glass since the word sport assumes you would use it will doing activities and such. However I understand it's a cost factor

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal