My Try-On Experience 42MM was excellent at Southpoint - Durham, NC (Full Review)!

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had an appointment yesterday, April 10 to try on the Apple Watch at 3:30 PM. I went with my daughter with fear in my eyes. Before I left to go to my appointment I had read on some forums about all these terrible experiences people were having with the try-on appointments including limited time and how many watches and bands you could try on. Lucky for me, the experience was quite the opposite.

I arrived at the Southpoint Apple Store in Durham NC at about 3:20 PM. I was greeted right away by very nice staff. They took my name and looked up my appointment. They told me it would be a few minutes. They then directed me over to the area where you can actually try the watch. These watches were on a stand next to an iPad. The watch was tethered to the iPad. The iPads mirrors what you do with the watch as you navigate the menu and explain each function. They were fully functional watches to try all the features. Then a nice Apple lady came over to me and ask my name to confirm my appointment. I was then brought over to the try on table.

I had a couple options I was looking at. I wanted to see the Apple Watch SS 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle and the Black Leather Loop(both sizes). I also wanted to see the 42mm Black Sport model and the Silver Sport model.

No problem. Did I mention that I wear my watch on my right hand, not my left. I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist, so I have worn a watch on my right wrist for 8 years now.

Back to the try on session. She saw that I had put the watches I liked in my favorites already, so she knew what I was looking for. When I told her that I wanted to put it on my right hand, she said, no problem and switched the band around so it would work correctly.(To answer the question if the watch was actually on? No it was not. She did turn it on for me to see if we can switch the orientation. But,we couldn't because it was in Demo Mode)

First I tried the 42mm SS with the Large Black Leather Loop and the band was too big. It did look really nice though and fit nicely. I did take a close look at the band knowing some people saying it had a plastic look and looked cheap. I don't know what they were looking at, because what I saw was a very nice leather strap, that look like leather and had a nice feel. She next let me try the Black Leather Loop medium band and that fit perfectly. I tested to see how strong the magnet was and it wasn't coming off.

Next I tried the 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle. The band itself was very nice. Felt nice to my skin and looked like a good classic buckle. The only problem, is like all the other classic leather bands I have had owned in the past, the holes are always in the wrong spot for my wrist. Either it is too tight or too loose. If you are getting the Black Leather Classic Buckle, make sure you try it on to see if it fits you right.

Finally I tried on the Black Sport with Black Rubber Band and the Silver Sport with the White Rubber Band. The bands were ok. They were better than I expected. They didn't rub my skin that much. Usually I can't wear rubber bands with watches because it hurts my wrist. The Sport Watches themselves, in my opinion, looked cheap in comparison to the Stainless steel. My daughter thought they were very nice, but she said they didn't look like an expensive watch. She did say the SS Apple Watch looked really nice and looked like something I would wear. My daughter still wants to get the Apple Sport for herself for her birthday in a few months. For her, she likes it, especially the Silver Sport with White Band and Pink Band.

The 42mm SS Apple Watch itself looked gorgeous. Even with people trying these on all day the watch look really nice. The Apple person did wipe the watch and band down every time I took it off. She made sure I put the watch on and took it off over a matt.

After trying all of those watches on she let me put on the the ones I wanted to see again before I made a decision of what I wanted to buy. I had narrowed it down to the 42MM SS Apple Watch withe the Black Leather Loop and the Black Leather Classic Buckle. My daughter said it was an easy choice. She liked the Black Leather Loop on me and I agreed.

The Apple person told me if I want to order, I could use one of their computers or I could use my phone if I have the Apple Store App. I decided to use my phone with the app and it was easy. That took two seconds to do.

Even though I won't get the Watch until June, my overall experience was very pleasant. She gave me excellent service and did everything to help me make a good decision. Changing the band was very nice of her so I could use it on my right wrist.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Very nice, and I'm glad you had an experience that was on par with what a majority of people have when they visit an Apple Store. What was your daughter's impression?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for sharing this review.

I live in Raleigh, so I know that store well. Actually, both Apple stores in this area provide great customer experiences. We are very fortunate to have two stores this close to where we live--some are not so lucky.

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. The SS watch looks much nicer than the sport. However, I couldn't bring myself to shell out the extra cash knowing that I will most likely upgrade to the newest model next year. Glad you had a great experience. I had one very similar to you at the Greensboro store just an hour down the road. North Carolina Apple stores for the win :)

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Very nice, and I'm glad you had an experience that was on par with what a majority of people have when they visit an Apple Store. What was your daughter's impression?

My daughter liked the SS Watch very much. But, for school and activities she said the SS version wouldn't be practical for her.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I have an appointment this afternoon at the Naples, Fl store, I think mine will be pretty quick, just need to have an idea how the 42mm model fits my wrist, not really looking to test all the features or try other models..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My daughter liked the SS Watch very much. But, for school and activities she said the SS version wouldn't be practical for her.

That's quite understandable, and thank you for replying. . Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Mscatinboston

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I had an appointment yesterday, April 10 to try on the Apple Watch at 3:30 PM. I went with my daughter with fear in my eyes. Before I left to go to my appointment I had read on some forums about all these terrible experiences people were having with the try-on appointments including limited time and how many watches and bands you could try on. Lucky for me, the experience was quite the opposite.

I arrived at the Southpoint Apple Store in Durham NC at about 3:20 PM. I was greeted right away by very nice staff. They took my name and looked up my appointment. They told me it would be a few minutes. They then directed me over to the area where you can actually try the watch. These watches were on a stand next to an iPad. The watch was tethered to the iPad. The iPads mirrors what you do with the watch as you navigate the menu and explain each function. They were fully functional watches to try all the features. Then a nice Apple lady came over to me and ask my name to confirm my appointment. I was then brought over to the try on table.

I had a couple options I was looking at. I wanted to see the Apple Watch SS 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle and the Black Leather Loop(both sizes). I also wanted to see the 42mm Black Sport model and the Silver Sport model.

No problem. Did I mention that I wear my watch on my right hand, not my left. I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist, so I have worn a watch on my right wrist for 8 years now.

Back to the try on session. She saw that I had put the watches I liked in my favorites already, so she knew what I was looking for. When I told her that I wanted to put it on my right hand, she said, no problem and switched the band around so it would work correctly.(To answer the question if the watch was actually on? No it was not. She did turn it on for me to see if we can switch the orientation. But,we couldn't because it was in Demo Mode)

First I tried the 42mm SS with the Large Black Leather Loop and the band was too big. It did look really nice though and fit nicely. I did take a close look at the band knowing some people saying it had a plastic look and looked cheap. I don't know what they were looking at, because what I saw was a very nice leather strap, that look like leather and had a nice feel. She next let me try the Black Leather Loop medium band and that fit perfectly. I tested to see how strong the magnet was and it wasn't coming off.

Next I tried the 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle. The band itself was very nice. Felt nice to my skin and looked like a good classic buckle. The only problem, is like all the other classic leather bands I have had owned in the past, the holes are always in the wrong spot for my wrist. Either it is too tight or too loose. If you are getting the Black Leather Classic Buckle, make sure you try it on to see if it fits you right.

Finally I tried on the Black Sport with Black Rubber Band and the Silver Sport with the White Rubber Band. The bands were ok. They were better than I expected. They didn't rub my skin that much. Usually I can't wear rubber bands with watches because it hurts my wrist. The Sport Watches themselves, in my opinion, looked cheap in comparison to the Stainless steel. My daughter thought they were very nice, but she said they didn't look like an expensive watch. She did say the SS Apple Watch looked really nice and looked like something I would wear. My daughter still wants to get the Apple Sport for herself for her birthday in a few months. For her, she likes it, especially the Silver Sport with White Band and Pink Band.

The 42mm SS Apple Watch itself looked gorgeous. Even with people trying these on all day the watch look really nice. The Apple person did wipe the watch and band down every time I took it off. She made sure I put the watch on and took it off over a matt.

After trying all of those watches on she let me put on the the ones I wanted to see again before I made a decision of what I wanted to buy. I had narrowed it down to the 42MM SS Apple Watch withe the Black Leather Loop and the Black Leather Classic Buckle. My daughter said it was an easy choice. She liked the Black Leather Loop on me and I agreed.

The Apple person told me if I want to order, I could use one of their computers or I could use my phone if I have the Apple Store App. I decided to use my phone with the app and it was easy. That took two seconds to do.

Even though I won't get the Watch until June, my overall experience was very pleasant. She gave me excellent service and did everything to help me make a good decision. Changing the band was very nice of her so I could use it on my right wrist.

Hi, it was great to read about your try-on experience. Based on your review, I believe I made the right choice. I ordered the 42mm SS Watch with the med Blk Lea Lp. I bought the pink sport band for when I run and exercise. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2