How many Apple Watches need to sell for it to be a success?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
How many Apple Watches need to sell for it to be a success? I guess core of the question is, how is success defined.

Smartwatches are a new product category and I don't think anyone really know what the potential market is. Apple sold something like 170 million iPhones last year, right? So is that the potential market? I wonder what they are expecting, 10% of that (17 million)? 30% (50 million)?

Is a more reasonable comparison Android Wear and Pebble? I think they both sold in the hundreds-of-thousands last year. Is that enough to be successful? Some analysis have called that success and other failure.

What are your thoughts?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I recall reading somewhere that they were projected to be targeting 5% of iphone owners. I don't believe Apple releases those kind of figures (who does?) but 5% is the number I have heard speculated.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I recall reading somewhere that they were projected to be targeting 5% of iphone owners. I don't believe Apple releases those kind of figures (who does?) but 5% is the number I have heard speculated.

I think a few million would be considered a success. Not in terms of apples normal success, but would be a good start for a gen 1 product.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah someone should go back and look at the numbers for the first iPhone and iPad. It would be a neat comparison to the first gen Watch but also give us a rough idea of the kind of numbers we're looking at here.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
However many Apple sells, the "Android-centric trollers for blog hits" will call it a steaming pile of fail...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to say because many companies are judged by the same standards as Apple. Although it sold out of its initial supply of  Watches within minutes, CNN and others focused on Apple not having a lot of people inside their stores. Know what I mean?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how many units would be considered a success, but no matter what that number is, someone will complain:

"If they would have made it cheaper they could have sold even more."

You know that comment is coming.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods