No sleep tracking! Really?!?! What about 3rd party apps?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So I just read that the Apple Watch doesn't support sleep tracking. REALLY?!?!?

Does this just mean that there's no 1st party app (i.e. app made by Apple) that does sleep tracking, or will there be no 3rd party sleep tracking support either?

I feel like this is a pretty core function that almost all wearables support, so for Apple to leave it out completely is surprising. Is this just a compromise to avoid additional complaints about battery life? I mean all the necessary sensors are there, so there's no technical reason that it couldn't track sleep. (Battery life not withstanding.)

I use my Pebble for sleep tracking every night, so this is a big missing feature for me.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe the expectation is for people to charge the device while sleeping, and you can't do that while wearing it... and if you're one who really, really wants that functionality, then the Watch might not be something you want to buy...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe the expectation is for people to charge the device while sleeping, and you can't do that while wearing it... and if you're one who really, really wants that functionality, then the Watch might not be something you want to buy...

Understood, but I'd be willing to wear my watch all day, charge it when I get home from work (while watching TV, eating dinner, etc), and then put it back on for sleep tracking at bed time. Apple shouldn't neuter the functionality just because they want me to charge at a certain time. #dissapointed

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
More likely they will have apps that handle this and connect to health app. but agreed with the above statement of taking it off to charge.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Understood, but I'd been willing to wear my watch all day, charge it when I get home from work (while watching TV, eating dinner, etc), and then put it back on for sleep tracking at bed time. Apple shouldn't neuter the functionality just because they want me to charge at a certain time. #dissapointed

#dontbuyit

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I also use my pebble to sleep track. During my try on appointment I showed the employee how I only slept for 5 hours (up past 3 am for the preorder of the watch) and only 1 hr 41 minutes of deep sleep. I don't see how they will be able to offer any sort of sleep tracking given the battery life issue. Minimally it could keep track of when you place it on the charger and remove it in the morning for a rough over estimate of total sleep.

I also don't take my pebble off to shower. It's been helpful a few times needing to jump out of the shower to take a call. Going to be disappointed with that feature missing as well.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
#dontbuyit

#MakeACompleteDevice - the fact that it has areas where it is less functional than a nearly 2 year old device is an issue. Also is an issue that sleep is an integral part of health which is a main focus of the Apple Watch. If you haven't worn a smart watch I could see why you're quick to make a smart comment instead of contributing to a discussion.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sleep tracking would only work if you could hold a charge overnight. With about 18 hours of battery life that would be next to impossible for most people unless the device was charged during the day.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
#dontbuyit

#MakeACompleteDevice - the fact that it has areas where it is less functional than a nearly 2 year old device is an issue. Also is an issue that sleep is an integral part of health which is a main focus of the Apple Watch. If you haven't worn a smart watch I could see why you're quick to make a smart comment instead of contributing to a discussion.

I don't see it being as much of a "smart comment" as it is just being realistic.

This forum is full of people who buy Apple devices and then want to complain that "this feature" or "that one" is missing. Don't misunderstand - I am a big Apple user - Macs, iPhones, iPads, Apple routers, AppleTVs and even iPods. But I am not getting an Watch because I don't see the need at this time for me. But if I were to decide to purchase one, I'd make dang sure that it was capable of doing everything that I expect and need it to do. If, for whatever reason, it can't perform as I want/need it to, I would move along to a more capable device.

Currently, the biggest issue with the Watch being able to do sleep tracking appears to be related to battery life. Apple will sort that out eventually, and then I fully expect them to expand the feature set and capability. Until that happens, I'd have to agree with iEd - #dontbuyit.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

#ifitdoesntfityourneedsdontbuyit

Doesn't matter if I haven't worn a smart watch. If a product doesn't offer features you need don't buy it.
Not a smart comment..... but then again maybe it is "smart".

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
It actually does matter if you have worn a smart watch because only then will you know what features you actually use out of what is possible.

No product is perfect but consumer feedback will help a gen 2 device be better. Personally I'm not going to wait a year for something to do everything when an existing device already does 90% of what I want even if it has some draw backs.

Needless to say sleeping tracking is helpful as is a silent alarm that doesn't wake your partner in the morning. Hopefully these features are available in a second gen Apple Watch because I use them daily with my Pebble.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Come on folks, this is a gen 1 product. Remember the first iPhone. It didn't even have copy & paste.

Apple knows what they are doing. Over time, they may add that functionality. Then again, maybe they won't.

Either way, seeing how the watch can't last longer than a day, and the majority of people charge their gadgets overnight. It's not practical to promote a sleep tracking feature, when it's expected that most people will be charging the device during this time.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't count out that there may come a 3rd party device/app combo for iPhones that has sleep tracking to work into the Health app - there is a 3rd party continuous glucose monitoring solution coming to market that can be used with iPhones... things are just beginning with the health stuff.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Understood, but I'd been willing to wear my watch all day, charge it when I get home from work (while watching TV, eating dinner, etc), and then put it back on for sleep tracking at bed time. Apple shouldn't neuter the functionality just because they want me to charge at a certain time. #dissapointed

That is a valid point. I would also like a sleep tracker but as my iPhone can perform this functionality, it's not a deal breaker for me. Still, I totally get where you are coming from vis-a-vis sensors and battery life though.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
...If you haven't worn a smart watch I could see why you're quick to make a smart comment instead of contributing to a discussion.

Doesn't matter if I haven't worn a smart watch. If a product doesn't offer features you need don't buy it.

It actually does matter if you have worn a smart watch because only then will you know what features you actually use out of what is possible. ...

Using a smartwatch everyday is the best way to have a good perspective on what it's useful for and what you want it to be able to do. BUT I think the average person is smart enough to read about smart watches and have a good perspective and valuable input.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Easy, tiger.

No-one said the Apple Watch would do exactly the same as any other watch and love it or hate it, them's the breaks.

Of course, you are entirely allowed to have your own opinion, and the free exchange of ideas and opinions makes forums like this valuable resources but please don't take it personally. You have raised some excellent points so don't invalidate them by making passive-aggressive comments.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
# anything is an active disrespectful comment to the op. Please don't get this twisted and don't take offense to the fact that apple puts out a device while beautiful, stunning and I hope extremely useful in many regards but still lacking functionality of much older devices. Even android wear has always on color screens that last more than 24 (not 18 hours).

I feel as though the op stated a specific issue and comments have been pointless "I love apple and if you don't then buy something else" comments are coming through instead of any discussion.

I'm shocked that there is any response other than - yes I hope battery life or some other solution comes about to enable sleep tracking because I too see how that is useful when gauging health.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally find it uncomfortable wearing my jawbone up 24 while I slept, let alone a watch.

Who sleeps with a watch on???

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
# anything is an active disrespectful comment to the op. Please don't get this twisted and don't take offense to the fact that apple puts out a device while beautiful, stunning and I hope extremely useful in many regards but still lacking functionality of much older devices. Even android wear has always on color screens that last more than 24 (not 18 hours).

I feel as though the op stated a specific issue and comments have been pointless "I love apple and if you don't then buy something else" comments are coming through instead of any discussion.

I'm shocked that there is any response other than - yes I hope battery life or some other solution comes about to enable sleep tracking because I too see how that is useful when gauging health.

#BovineSquat

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro