Have You / Will You Upgrade Your iPhone To Use Apple Watch?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a valid question and one which Apple would love to hear yes on. ;)

Have you been on the fence about updating your phone hardware and now that the Apple Watch is nearly here you've decided to upgrade your phone?

I think a lot of gen 4 users, but even some 5 and 5c users, might want to trade up now.

At 5S you get more Fitness Tracking and at 6 or 6+ you are all in.

How about it? Is the Apple Watch a compelling reason for you to upgrade your iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Watch requires an iPhone at a certain software level to make the most use of the watch... the headline question seems kind of moot.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Watch requires an iPhone at a certain software level to make the most use of the watch... the headline question seems kind of moot.

How so?

I'm legitimately wondering if desire to use an Apple Watch is a reason some iPhone users are upgrading when they would not have otherwise. According to an iMore Article certain functions also require certain hardware... Is this not the case? For example, at least 5S is needed to track stair climbing and 6 or 6+ to use the Watch for Apple Pay.

Certainly anyone using a 4th gen iPhone needs to upgrade...

How is my premise faulty? Is this not the case? Are you claiming all functions of the watch are entirely dependent on software? So an iPhone 5C user can take advantage of Apple Pay via the Watch if they have OS v8.2?

Is it wrong to assume that scenario might have statistically significant proportions? Do you not think Apple is hoping that the Watch will boost sales of iPhone 6 and 6+?

I hardly think it moot and disagree with your statement entirely.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If someone wants an Watch... if they don't have a supporting phone, they'll have to get one... will that "push" someone who wasn't going to upgrade phones now do it to get a watch? Maybe... but so what? Why "navel gaze" at such minutiae? Does it really matter that much? To you??

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could find that article again. I had it and lost it.

It said 5S need for stairclimbing track and 6 for Pay... I'll check again, it was around iMore somewhere...

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It said 5S need for stairclimbing track and 6 for Pay... I'll check again, it was around iMore somewhere...

Don't know about the stair thing, but only a 5 is required for Apple Pay. If you want to do Apple Pay from the phone you need a 6, but paired with the watch you only need a 5. That's at brick and mortar merchants, can't do anything online with the phone or anything before the 6.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Now my wife and I were looking to buy a apple watch, but still own an iPhone 4S. We did a try on yesterday and when we asked about if we could get a watch owning a 4S they didn't really seem sure what the answer was. They finally said you may not even be able to set it up without an iPhone 5. We were looking to upgrade but I figured since the next phone is going to come out in 4 months or so, I'll just wait for that. Does anybody know if you can own a watch having an iPhone 4S, or like we were told at the Apple Store do need an iPhone 5 just to set it up? It's pointless to buy an iPhone 5 just for now when we plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6S in 4 months or so. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless.
Anton & Snow

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Now my wife and I were looking to buy a apple watch, but still own an iPhone 4S. We did a try on yesterday and when we asked about if we could get a watch owning a 4S they didn't really seem sure what the answer was. They finally said you may not even be able to set it up without an iPhone 5. We were looking to upgrade but I figured since the next phone is going to come out in 4 months or so, I'll just wait for that. Does anybody know if you can own a watch having an iPhone 4S, or like we were told at the Apple Store do need an iPhone 5 just to set it up? It's pointless to buy an iPhone 5 just for now when we plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6S in 4 months or so. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless.
Anton & Snow

Apple says you need an iPhone 5 amd up. If you do not see the Apple Watch app on your phone, it is unlikely you would ver be able to use the iPhone 4s with it.

- Tapatalk

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
That makes sense, but you wouldn't need the phone for setup would you? Could we buy one and use the features that are available to us (as minimal as they might be) until we get this years phone? That way we at least own the watch. If we know someone with a 5 or above use their phone for setup or would their phone be synced to our watches? Any info would be great.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How so?

I'm legitimately wondering if desire to use an Apple Watch is a reason some iPhone users are upgrading when they would not have otherwise. According to an iMore Article certain functions also require certain hardware... Is this not the case? For example, at least 5S is needed to track stair climbing and 6 or 6+ to use the Watch for Apple Pay.

Certainly anyone using a 4th gen iPhone needs to upgrade...

How is my premise faulty? Is this not the case? Are you claiming all functions of the watch are entirely dependent on software? So an iPhone 5C user can take advantage of Apple Pay via the Watch if they have OS v8.2?

Is it wrong to assume that scenario might have statistically significant proportions? Do you not think Apple is hoping that the Watch will boost sales of iPhone 6 and 6+?

I hardly think it moot and disagree with your statement entirely.

You would need the 6 or 6 Plus for Pay regardless of whether you have the Watch or not. The same for many apps that require 64 bit. If one wanted those features, they would already have upgraded if they could. Your question would be more valid for those still using a 4 or 4s. The Watch only works with the 5 and up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
It's pointless to buy an iPhone 5 just for now when we plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6S in 4 months or so.

A new iPhone will not be released until September/October time frame, which would make it about 6 months until a new phone is released. If you are thinking about getting a watch I'd probably wait until you upgrade to a new phone first.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
If I were that friend, I would not allow someone else to setup their watch to my phone because of the likelihood that it would transfer some personal stuff to that watch like ApplePay details and favorited photos.

I agree. Setting up an Apple Watch isn't like setting up an older iPhone via iTunes. Setting up a watch pairs that watch to said iPhone and transfers data from the phone to the watch. So setting up a watch with a friend's iPhone is not the proper way to set up a watch. The watch is a tandem device. It needs an iPhone in tandem with it to be fully-functional. Otherwise it's just a glorified basic watch.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You would need the 6 or 6 Plus for Pay regardless of whether you have the Watch or not. The same for many apps that require 64 bit. If one wanted those features, they would already have upgraded if they could. Your question would be more valid for those still using a 4 or 4s. The Watch only works with the 5 and up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Not true with ApplePay and the iPhone 5/5S and the Apple Watch. If you have a 5 or above you'll be able to use the watch for ApplePay.

Karen is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2