The Verge Review

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple Watch: the definitive review

So I read The Verge's review as done by Nilay Patel and it's very a informative and objective look at the Watch and its uses during our daily lives. This review makes me question getting it slightly, I still want to get the Watch cause I'm very enthusiastic about it and know many of the kinks mentioned by Nilay will be ironed over time but certain things like the long loading screens (sort of a pet peeve of mine) and the lack of smart notifications or way to customize them has me disappointed. Since I was planning on getting myself one and one for my mom since her birthday is May 8th after this review I'm thinking on just getting it for myself now. While my mom is slowly becoming more tech savvy I know many things that Nilay mentions would drive my mom nuts or me nuts when she starts asking about every little thing and why it's doing it.

Would love to know what you guys think of the review and if it sways you away from purchasing or not.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I thought it was horrible. But I'm not a fan of the Verge to start with. There's such a thing as being too slick to where it comes off as unauthentic. And the ad inside a review thing was just awful (eatery or something like that). Put Dieter Bohn on these reviews.

Nilay had already mentioned months back how the UI seems confusing. 2 buttons still seem to confuse him. And well as his exaggerated fidgety attempts to tap anything on the screen. Notifications can be managed. You don't have to look at your watch when talking with someone no matter how much it's tapping you on the wrist.

The main concern with me is Siri and lag in general. Siri really needs fixed on iphone so I can imagine adding a bt step of going to the watch would make it slow.

But I think ultimately it comes down to the band. It needs tech. It needs to be smart and part of the watch that makes it go. That's too much wasted imo. If the small square watch face is going to get thinner and you want gps and lte later as well as better battery life, then you can't expect miracles.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I can agree I think Dieter does much better reviews and also not confused by the two button setup what's so hard about that the digital crown is like the home button and the other button is a power switch/favorite contacts access. Yeah there might be a little learning curve involved but when is there not with a brand new product? I think he had a point though that the Watch does a lot of things well but doesn't do any one thing extraordinarily well. That's the risk I'm willing to take being an early adopter and I'm excited.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I can agree I think Dieter does much better reviews and also not confused by the two button setup what's so hard about that the digital crown is like the home button and the other button is a power switch/favorite contacts access. Yeah there might be a little learning curve involved but when is there not with a brand new product? I think he had a point though that the Watch does a lot of things well but doesn't do any one thing extraordinarily well. That's the risk I'm willing to take being an early adopter and I'm excited.

The extraordinary thing that it does well is that it can tap or vibrate your wrist and is always in a position to be quickly viewed. That's the claim to fame. That's the whole point of it (for me) and is what the other devices can never do. And in not missing that tap or silent notification, you can simply raise your wrist or tap it to see what it is or ignore it if you're busy.

IMO, it's this that needs to be well executed.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Apple Watch: the definitive review

So I read The Verge's review as done by Nilay Patel and it's very a informative and objective look at the Watch and its uses during our daily lives. This review makes me question getting it slightly, I still want to get the Watch cause I'm very enthusiastic about it and know many of the kinks mentioned by Nilay will be ironed over time but certain things like the long loading screens (sort of a pet peeve of mine) and the lack of smart notifications or way to customize them has me disappointed. Since I was planning on getting myself one and one for my mom since her birthday is May 8th after this review I'm thinking on just getting it for myself now. While my mom is slowly becoming more tech savvy I know many things that Nilay mentions would drive my mom nuts or me nuts when she starts asking about every little thing and why it's doing it.

Would love to know what you guys think of the review and if it sways you away from purchasing or not.

Thanks for the review I haven't read it yet but I can still answer your questions honestly. When I think about the Watch I compare it to the first iPhone. The watch is more polished so a lot of people don't do that but it is still a 1.0 product. So would I give my mom the first iPhone when it came out, no. Would I give her the iPhone 4,5 or 6? you damn skippy. So the same way I would say just buy it for yourself and then as the watch improves get your mom a gen 2 or 3 by then you will know all about it and you can teach her everything plus she will have a smoother and better experience.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Nilay had already mentioned months back how the UI seems confusing. 2 buttons still seem to confuse him. And well as his exaggerated fidgety attempts to tap anything on the screen.
You make some good points, but to be fair, it's two buttons, a scroll wheel, tap, swipe and force touch. And some of the buttons support double-click and long-press. When you see it all in a list, it's a .... long list.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You make some good points, but to be fair, it's two buttons, a scroll wheel, tap, swipe and force touch. And some of the buttons support double-click and long-press. When you see it all in a list, it's a .... long list.

The iphone is just as complicated but we think it's simple. You get used to it..

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
After reading the Verge's review, I went looking of other reviews. I like the NYT review, Daring Fireball and CNET did a good job too. Nilay complaining about the UI being confusing is an interesting comment.... I feel like every tech product with a screen and menus is a bit of a learning curve. If the product has a spot in your life, it won't be a huge deal.

Can't wait, ordering a Black SS early AM

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review I haven't read it yet but I can still answer your questions honestly. When I think about the Watch I compare it to the first iPhone. The watch is more polished so a lot of people don't do that but it is still a 1.0 product. So would I give my mom the first iPhone when it came out, no. Would I give her the iPhone 4,5 or 6? you damn skippy. So the same way I would say just buy it for yourself and then as the watch improves get your mom a gen 2 or 3 by then you will know all about it and you can teach her everything plus she will have a smoother and better experience.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now. She mostly wants something for fitness tracking so I'll get her a Fitbit.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a guy who said he doesn't even use his watch other than it looks cool (says his battery has been dead for a year) I do not put much faith in what he says. Not to mention in the video the watch lags which is not a good sign. Not sure how it is the best when they only gave it a 7, yet the moto 360 by their own review scored higher... But apple hand picked those who get review units, so of course the verge has to say its the best to keep getting products sent to them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
People put too much importance in someone else's experience and too little into their own. There will be a lot of people who'll hold off buying an  Watch because of what some else said or thought about it as if their experience will be the same. It reminds me of the old complaints of Verizon iPhone customers being unable to text and talk simultaneously. People who hated AT&T stuck with them because of that feature although many never even text and talked at the same time. Anyway, Apple is a company who is known for making superb devices that a great deal of people want and you should decide if you want it based on "your" expected usage and not somebody else's.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is an interesting review. I don't really like the formatting though. It makes it hard to read.

That's what I thought as well. The formatting made it hard to enjoy or read with ease. It did seem a bit better in Safari. But not much.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought the formatting made it hard to read--as others have said. Also, I don't think most reviewers understand this is not your typical wearable.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
For someone like myself who had used s smart watch for over a year (pebble) I don't look at my wrist every time I get a notification. Plus it's not that much of a hassle to take a few minutes when you get the watch to tweak which notifications you want to feel. I.e I'd turn off IG, Facebook and such apps that you don't really need to be notified when you get a like. Calls, text and emails are nice to get.
Also if I am in a meeting and don't want to feel anything I put my pebble on DND.

Don't think the dude in the video has owned a smart watch before. Maybe it's just not for him

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I found his review to be facile. Many of his complaints were things he could control himself. It's a bit rich to complain about the Apple Watch sending you too many notifications when you can easily limit them when you configure the device for the first time. His complaint was basically that he disagreed with Apple's default setup options, but was too lazy to reconfigure the watch's actions to his preferences. For myself, one of the first things I do with any new device is to go through the options and customize it to my choices.

It's perfectly OK for him to not want the Apple Watch, or even like its features. But, he went on as if he were truly trying to give a fair, even handed review. He wasn't.

rav813

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For someone like myself who had used s smart watch for over a year (pebble) I don't look at my wrist every time I get a notification. Plus it's not that much of a hassle to take a few minutes when you get the watch to tweak which notifications you want to feel. I.e I'd turn off IG, Facebook and such apps that you don't really need to be notified when you get a like. Calls, text and emails are nice to get.
Also if I am in a meeting and don't want to feel anything I put my pebble on DND.

Don't think the dude in the video has owned a smart watch before. Maybe it's just not for him

I've never owned one before so it felt relatable. He hit on many concerns I had, including constantly looking at it

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I was an early adopter to the Pebble Watch. Once 3rd party developers start making more apps. It will improve your experience with the watch. And I'm sure Apple will iron out their OS quickly as they find kinks in the software.