Will the air gap cause a problem?

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So it turns out that there is a small air gap between the glass and display, at least in places (like the middle). Do you think this will cause enough extra reflections to be a problem viewing it outside?

With phones it definitely does, and they needed extra brightness to make up for it. I live in CA and am outside quite a bit. Aside from actually viewing the display, if Apple had to ramp up the brightness artificially to make up for the reflections how much of an impact could/would this have on battery life?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Since it was developed in Cali I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have run into the issue during testing. So I would reserve speculation on this till you get to play with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So it turns out that there is a small air gap between the glass and display, at least in places (like the middle). Do you think this will cause enough extra reflections to be a problem viewing it outside?
I don't think it will, but I can't say with any certainty.

With phones it definitely does, and they needed extra brightness to make up for it. I live in CA and am outside quite a bit. Aside from actually viewing the display, if Apple had to ramp up the brightness artificially to make up for the reflections how much of an impact could/would this have on battery life?
Since the effects are minimal on the iPhones, at least the ones I've owned, I assume the effects to be minimal with the Watch.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will, but I can't say with any certainty.

Since the effects are minimal on the iPhones, at least the ones I've owned, I assume the effects to be minimal with the Watch.

On the iPhone 4 & up (I think that's when they started laminating) it wasn't a problem. Before that, and with various Android devices as well, the air gap caused problems. I would think Apple knows this and did everything they could to minimize it, but at some point physics takes over. :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On the iPhone 4 & up (I think that's when they started laminating) it wasn't a problem. Before that, and with various Android devices as well, the air gap caused problems. I would think Apple knows this and did everything they could to minimize it, but at some point physics takes over. :p

I agree, and we'll know soon enough...:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen