So it turns out that there is a small air gap between the glass and display, at least in places (like the middle). Do you think this will cause enough extra reflections to be a problem viewing it outside?

With phones it definitely does, and they needed extra brightness to make up for it. I live in CA and am outside quite a bit. Aside from actually viewing the display, if Apple had to ramp up the brightness artificially to make up for the reflections how much of an impact could/would this have on battery life?
    04-08-2015 07:07 PM
    Since it was developed in Cali I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have run into the issue during testing. So I would reserve speculation on this till you get to play with it.
    04-08-2015 07:22 PM
    So it turns out that there is a small air gap between the glass and display, at least in places (like the middle). Do you think this will cause enough extra reflections to be a problem viewing it outside?
    I don't think it will, but I can't say with any certainty.

With phones it definitely does, and they needed extra brightness to make up for it. I live in CA and am outside quite a bit. Aside from actually viewing the display, if Apple had to ramp up the brightness artificially to make up for the reflections how much of an impact could/would this have on battery life?
    Since the effects are minimal on the iPhones, at least the ones I've owned, I assume the effects to be minimal with the Watch.
    04-08-2015 07:28 PM
    I don't think it will, but I can't say with any certainty.

Since the effects are minimal on the iPhones, at least the ones I've owned, I assume the effects to be minimal with the Watch.
    On the iPhone 4 & up (I think that's when they started laminating) it wasn't a problem. Before that, and with various Android devices as well, the air gap caused problems. I would think Apple knows this and did everything they could to minimize it, but at some point physics takes over. :P
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-08-2015 07:30 PM
    On the iPhone 4 & up (I think that's when they started laminating) it wasn't a problem. Before that, and with various Android devices as well, the air gap caused problems. I would think Apple knows this and did everything they could to minimize it, but at some point physics takes over. :P
    I agree, and we'll know soon enough...
    04-08-2015 07:36 PM
    Hopefully they figured it out. I don't think apple would have such a big flaw
    04-08-2015 07:45 PM