Would you rather a ROUND Apple Watch? (Updated with pictures!)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been following the Android Wear watches, and the first couple (Samsung Gear Live and LG G Watch) were pretty unattractive and utilitarian. But in just about 6 months they went from the first ones being ugly to the next few watches being much more attractive (LG G Watch R, Moto 360, and ASUS ZenWatch). I think that's mainly due to the fact that round Android Wear watches starting coming out which had an eye to design. And these were much more well received.

I must admit, I'm surprised that Apple went with the "rounded rectangle". Is this a case of functionality over beauty? Would you rather a round Apple Watch?

Thanks to iEd for sharing these pictures. And thanks to whoever created them. I thought these (not real) concept pictures might stimulate the discussion (or that people just might want to see them). Round is SEXY!

d2be9639f029ff52a0a4afefbd7a4815.jpg
3cc34c746147d9b8d86bcad09e6cb76f.jpg
fbd1e13494f77e2eab157bac0e75b7d4.jpg

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Would you rather a ROUND Apple Watch?

I think there should be a round option. I much prefer that style of watch. That being said Apple did make a very attractive square watch. I also like the square Asus Android wear watch. It CAN be done, and Apple has done it, but yes I would have preferred a round choice. Of course they already have way too many models. ;)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

True most classic watches are round of some sort. But with today's minimalist approach. most companies goes with square with rounded edges.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yup, I prefer round watches because, well, they're more like watches. I think the Apple Watch looks a lot like the Zen Watch, and I still didn't like that one too much, but some others did.

BUT I agree with others. The round screen makes it harder for things to 'happen' on screen since this is no longer 'just a watch'.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I would prefer a round yes because it would look more like a normal watch.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

Try googling "square watches" and hit the "images" tab. There are pages and pages and pages of them.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Try googling "square watches" and hit the "images" tab. There are pages and pages and pages of them.

I wasn't saying that there aren't square watches. I was just making the point that in the (admittedly very new) world of smartwatches the round ones have been consistently better liked than rectangular ones. I'm surprised there's not at least a round option.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Just like the iPhone is less of a phone and more of a mini computing device that allows phone calls. I think the Watch is a device that tells the time. I would rather an easier to use screen than have it look more like a "watch". It's not like I've only ever worn circular watches so the shape doesn't really matter to me.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure at some point, if smartwatches, or the apple watch specifically, is successful, we might see a round watch at some point. This is version one, so if it takes off, I think just like the ipad & iphone, various changes will come with the next models.

I recall reading an article(s) on why the square design was chosen (something about more screen real estate or something)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Would I "prefer" a round Watch? I'm not sure at this time. The round smartwatches I've seen thus far looks quite nice, and I would welcome the option for a round Watch if Apple were to offer it.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

I initially wanted a round watch.

Now like it as-is. Did I brainwash myself, or were the designers right all along? Dunno.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Not really feeling a round style.

3cc34c746147d9b8d86bcad09e6cb76f.jpg

d2be9639f029ff52a0a4afefbd7a4815.jpg

fbd1e13494f77e2eab157bac0e75b7d4.jpg

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Who knows they may offer it in the future. But just looking at these mock ups I'm not getting enough of the case.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been following the Android Wear watches, and the first couple (Samsung Gear Live and LG G Watch) were pretty unattractive and utilitarian. But in just about 6 months they went from the first ones being ugly to the next few watches being much more attractive (LG G Watch R, Moto 360, and ASUS ZenWatch). I think that's mainly due to the fact that round Android Wear watches starting coming out which had an eye to design. And these were much more well received.

I must admit, I'm surprised that Apple went with the "rounded rectangle". Is this a case of functionality over beauty? Would you rather a round Apple Watch?

Thanks to iEd for sharing these pictures. And thanks to whoever created them. I thought these (not real) concept pictures might stimulate the discussion (or that people just might want to see them). Round is SEXY!

View attachment 79613
View attachment 79614
View attachment 79612

Wow that round watch looks really good. Usually I would say no, but this looks great.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow that round watch looks really good. Usually I would say no, but this looks great.

Obviously this is all personal taste, but to me those concepts have the same problem as the Moto 360. They look way too thick. Somehow the square shape hides the thickness of the watch.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Obviously this is all personal taste, but to me those concepts have the same problem as the Moto 360. They look way too thick. Somehow the square shape hides the thickness of the watch.

These actually look a lot thinner than the square Apple watch

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods