Apple Watch: Friendly for the Lefties?

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was looking through here and noticed no mention of how the Apple Watch would support those of us that are left-handed.

I wear watches on my right hand, so the crown and sleep/wake button would be facing towards the arm, which would be awkward to use. Did Apple consider this into their design? Is there an option to flip the screen if I wanted wear it upside-down so the crown is easy to access? This could be a deal-breaker for me :confused:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Of course you can wear the watch on either arm, im sure as the display most likely rotates, BUT I think you mean, you want to mount the watch on the band upside down so the buttons are in the other side? If so yes I agree that would be a good option. I have not heard if that is doable yet.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
BUT I think you mean, you want to mount the watch on the band upside down so the buttons are in the other side? If so yes I agree that would be a good option. I have not heard if that is doable yet.

That's exactly right. I wonder if I can have it upside down so the crown and button faces to the left. That would be ideal. See for a normal watch, it doesn't matter as I never mess with the crown while it's on. With the apple watch, you rely on that for a lot of function.

Last edited:

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can flip it. When you're setting it up, it asks you which hand you're wearing it on.

I don't like the way the crown looks upside down on the left, so I'll probably wear it on my left arm instead.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm lefty too but I wear my watch on my left hand always have but I could see how this could be a concern. Hope this is true for my fellow lefties!!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
But as Apple told Slashgear in September, there's a workaround: Just flip the smartwatch over so that the crown is pointing to the left.

Apple tells us on initial setup, you can choose to have the watch face orient itself for use on the right wrist, making it friendly to lefties. The watch bands are also swappable, so your band isn't facing the wrong way.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
When you setup the  Watch, there's an option for wearing it on either your left or right wrist. The crown is on the hand side of the wrist in each case. So, the screen rotates 180? in this case.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
that's actually a good idea... I am lefty (well ambi) but I have trained myself to wear watches on my left arm because it's just easier to deal with, and it's also more comfortable at this point.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not a lefty, but I have to wear the watch on my right hand. I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist. That is why I am going to try it out first tomorrow at the Apple Store before I decide to order. Hopefully it doesn't look too awkward

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not a lefty, but I have to wear the watch on my right hand. I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist. That is why I am going to try it out first tomorrow at the Apple Store before I decide to order. Hopefully it doesn't look too awkward

Be sure to let us lefties know how it works out for you!! I'm real curious of the feel on the right hand (hopefully Apple can accommodate this at the store).

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
guy next to me on the try on appointment wore his watch on the right hand. Its the first thing they ask. You can flip the bands so the crown faces away but it is below the one button. I'm sure you could get used to it but it looked a bit off. I'm surprised they didn't make a version with the crown and button flipped or make it symmetrical by having two buttons and the crown in the middle.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Had they made it symmetrical, I'd continue wearing it on my right arm.

The flipped crown bothers me, so I won't.

Makes sense that Apple would accommodate lefties -- disproportionately creative people, and that's Apple's market.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I too am a lefty, but I wear my watches on my left hand. I Find I'm more able to use my fine motor skills with my right hand when it comes to watches and winding.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am right handed but wear my watch on my right wrist. I tried the Apple watch swapped round with the crown on the left but as I am so used to adjusting all my watches with the crowns on the right, I just reversed it again and stuck with that. Also, I disliked the crown being below the button.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro