Good enough to make you switch to iOS?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Watch will not become obsolete in a year or two. The current model may lack a new feature or two, but will still be usable on down the road. Many are trying to make like it will be totally useless next year. That's ridiculous. I still use the iPhone 5. It works great. But it misses a few newer features such as Touch ID. But it still serves me well. It will be the same with the Watch.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There are two Apple experiences for me. One (based on my personal experience) is shared by Android, the other is not IMO.

The first experience is the single device itself. I liked using some wonderful Android devices in my ownership history. I am currently enjoying my 6+.

The second experience is what I think makes Apple great, is based on a summation of how iOS and OS X work together. I have an iMac, MacBook Retina Pro, iPad and iPhone. How these systems work together for my work and leisure is what makes it worth it for me personally. Its simple too... just sign in with my iCloud account.

Is this for everyone? Of course not.... I did not start out that way either. I first started with an iMac and added pieces as time went on to get where I am today.

Am I locked in? Yes... and I don't mind it. Its like being stuck in 5 Star hotel instead of a hotel with just a nice room.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Watch will not become obsolete in a year or two. The current model may lack a new feature or two, but will still be usable on down the road. Many are trying to make like it will be totally useless next year. That's ridiculous. I still use the iPhone 5. It works great. But it misses a few newer features such as Touch ID. But it still serves me well. It will be the same with the Watch.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

I'm sorry, but in the tech world, 'obsolete' doesn't necessarily mean 'unusable'. But you have to admit that in a year, if Apple product cycles stand (just like other manufacturer's), a year from now your watch (or any other device, for that matter) will reach a new iteration and the moment the new thing is announced, yours becomes obsolete. Still perfectly capable, still usable, still not completely outdated...but obsolete.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If being unusable doesn't mean obsolete what does it mean?
Next year possibly there may be just a newer version of the watch with new features faster processor better battery life and so on.
My 6 Plus won't be "obsolete" come September when a new iPhone is released. I'll get the latest iOS just like the the new iPhone.
Apple traditionally supports its devices 3-4 years.
A iPhone 5 may not run iOS 8 as well as a iPhone 6 but it still runs ok and there was a big change between the 2 64bit processing in the 5S and iOS 7.
I believe the iPhone 5 supports the Apple Watch. So a 3 year old device supports the latest Apple gadget. I just do see obsolescence in 12 months with Apple products.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Feel as you may, in tech words, new model means older models are obsolete. Yes, you may still be able to do a lot with them and continue to get support and updates, but the truth is it's an older model. It's no longer the 'new' thing. And that in this world of everchanging devices, means 'obsolete'. Again, don't take the word literally and maybe you'll see why.

My very old iPod Touch is definitely obsolete in tech lingo, but it's far from obsolete in real world use. My iPhone 5s was obsolete the moment the 6/6+ were announced, and it's still a very capable device. Do I need a new phone every year because it breaks down? Nope. Do we want a new phone every year because the new one just came out? Apple wouldn't be where it is if we didn't :)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You are assigning your own definition to the word obsolete and that's cool if you choose to do that.

People change devices yearly for new features. Faster processor improved camera new design or the desire to have the latest model. Consumers have desired the latest model of any particular product for years.
My brother in law desires the latest Ford SUV every 2 years but yet he uses a flip phone. In his perception his flip phone is not obsolete and it's really not if it's usable and it functions well in his day to day.
A flip phone doesn't offer the features I need to be connected and productive. Is a flip phone obsolete to me? Yes but in general no. Because my needs and productivity concerns don't apply to everyone only to me. Could I use a iPhone 4S which is 3 generations back and remain productive? Definitely.

So I believe a Apple Watch 2 will not make the current watch obsolete just not as new. A new feature set doesn't render a device "obsolete" especially a Apple device.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Feel as you may, in tech words, new model means older models are obsolete. Yes, you may still be able to do a lot with them and continue to get support and updates, but the truth is it's an older model. It's no longer the 'new' thing. And that in this world of everchanging devices, means 'obsolete'. Again, don't take the word literally and maybe you'll see why.

My very old iPod Touch is definitely obsolete in tech lingo, but it's far from obsolete in real world use. My iPhone 5s was obsolete the moment the 6/6+ were announced, and it's still a very capable device. Do I need a new phone every year because it breaks down? Nope. Do we want a new phone every year because the new one just came out? Apple wouldn't be where it is if we didn't :)

There is a BIG difference between non-current and obsolete. Your 5S is non-current, but obsolete? Hardly.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well to be fair it was part of the reason why I switched to the iPhone after watching the September keynote. However there were other more important reasons. If apple hadn't released the 6 plus I'd still be using android.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Whatever one company can do, another can emulate.

Wouldn't switch for an Apple Watch, same as how I didn't switch for Android Wear even when I was very interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2