Apple is failing to create a compelling use case for the Apple Watch. Thoughts?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that Apple is failing to create a compelling use case for the Apple Watch. Hear me out.

First, let me say that I really like the idea of smartwatches. I've been using the Pebble for awhile now, and I really like it. That being said, I'm a tech nerd like most of the people on this site. In the past when a regular person asks me if they should get a smartwatch, my answer has always been, "If you don't absolutely know that you want one, then no you shouldn't." That's simply because there's been no need that a smartwatch fills. It's cool to get notifications on your wrist, but it's really not significantly more convenient than pulling out your phone, and acting on them on the watch is significantly harder, if not impossible.

I've been anxiously awaiting the Apple Watch because I expected Apple to change all that. Apple has always excelled at presenting a compelling use case to consumers, whether it's their various computers, the iPod, iPhone, or iPad. I thought once Apple makes a smartwatch it will be genuinely useful and fill a need, and at the same time it will improve all other smartwatches. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. I don't see where Apple has done that. They are presenting the same easily refuted arguments as Pebble and Samsung and Google. "It's cool; it's slightly more convenient;" etc. The Apple Watch does appear to be more capable than it's smartwatch competitors, but Apple doesn't seem to be effectively marketing it's capabilities. So it seems that we won't know if this is enough to justify it's purchase until people get them on their wrists and actually start using them.

I will say that Apple has very effectively created awareness for smartwatches. I've never gotten so many questions about my Pebble until after the Apple Watch unveiling.

So what do you think? Has Apple convinced you that you need an Apple watch? More importantly, have they convinced the non-tech-nerds in your life, like you mom and coworkers? Do you think the Apple watch will be successful outside of early adopter circles?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
This device is an absolute fun-to-have. Not a must-have. In all fairness, at the very least, it can tell time, so it's as good as just about any other watch on the planet for that. I see this being big for athletes and workout fanatics. And Michael Knight. Cause we all know how cool he looked talking to KITT through his watch.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
No idea. But my mom doesn't even have a smartphone so she certainly isn't interested. And my coworkers are all tech nerds too but divided between Android and iPhone fairly evenly.
I really hope it is successful so that other smart watches from other companies are made and the competition makes them all better and stronger.
Yeah, I'm hoping for success for exactly that reason. But I was hoping for a bigger leap above existing smartwatches, and I'm not sure if that leap is there or not.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This device is an absolute fun-to-have. Not a must-have. In all fairness, at the very least, it can tell time, so it's as good as just about any other watch on the planet for that. I see this being big for athletes and workout fanatics. And Michael Knight. Cause we all know how cool he looked talking to KITT through his watch.

LOL at the KITT reference.
I agree, I was hoping it would be a must-have, but I think you're right, it's a fun-to-have product.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Nice. I forgot all about the talking watch. Android Wear has that covered. Perhaps a matter of time before an Apple Watch version is out? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.taccotap.watchface.knightrider&hl=en

Kierkegaard

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Apple convinced me to get not only the watch, but an iPhone 5 to drive it. I like the idea that I can have the ability to pay and don't have to worry about carrying money or credit cards. I don't need the watch for apple pay but I want to wear a watch, I'm a watch person. I'm not really a cellphone person. If Apple has done its job right, I should be able to dictate text messages to the watch - who needs voice calls?

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For me, it would be more compelling if the Watch is a standalone, where its features does not rely on the IPhone. For those who do not want to wear a smartwatch, Apple can still continue to make the IPhones, but leave the option for those who would prefer all the conveniences to do things on the wrist. I suspect there would be more new consumers willing to jump platform.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
For me, it would be more compelling if the Watch is a standalone, where its features does not rely on the IPhone. For those who do not want to wear a smartwatch, Apple can still continue to make the IPhones, but leave the option for those who would prefer all the conveniences to do things on the wrist. I suspect there would be more new consumers willing to jump platform.
Interesting idea. I'm sure that Apple could make a standalone watch, but the cost would have to be more because it would have to have its own cellular radios and data plan. It seems that there would also be a lot of duplicated functionality between the phone and the watch. But ultimately I think it comes down to Apple wanting people to own an iPhone AND an Apple Watch, not an iPhone OR an Apple Watch.

I think there's a bigger market for an iPhone accessory than for a standalone watch.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP it's simple Apple hasn't made a compelling reason for you. Others as well but it doesn't mean they haven't made a compelling reason. This always bugs me when people state an opinion as fact.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
OP it's simple Apple hasn't made a compelling reason for you. Others as well but it doesn't mean they haven't made a compelling reason. This always bugs me when people state an opinion as fact.
I'm not stating opinion as fact. The whole post is opinion. But I'm express my opinion about Apple's marketing in general, not just to me.

In my opinion, Apple has not presented a compelling reason to the general public to purchase the Apple Watch.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You are stating opinion as fact. If you look at the title of the thread it says "Apple is failing to create a compelling use case for Apple Watch" it doesn't say I think or In my opinion. It's not a big deal I'm not getting on your case. I'm just trying to say that in a world of billions of people there will be differing ideas and opinion. So for a large group of people you are right Apple hasn't created a compelling case to get the Watch. However for another large group of people they have and so it's not a cut and dry statement.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting idea. I'm sure that Apple could make a standalone watch, but the cost would have to be more because it would have to have its own cellular radios and data plan. It seems that there would also be a lot of duplicated functionality between the phone and the watch. But ultimately I think it comes down to Apple wanting people to own an iPhone AND an Apple Watch, not an iPhone OR an Apple Watch.

I think there's a bigger market for an iPhone accessory than for a standalone watch.
But since the Watch is tethered to the IPhone, aren't the functions of the Watch duplicated? We can do everything the Watch can on our IPhone, and many would argue better.

Here's another take. Do you think Apple finally entered the smartwatch market because other makers are doing it? I ask this because it certainly took them a very long time, especially to have introduced a new product, then an extra 7 months later to launch it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
But since the Watch is tethered to the IPhone, aren't the functions of the Watch duplicated? We can do everything the Watch can on our IPhone, and many would argue better.

Here's another take. Do you think Apple finally entered the smartwatch market because other makers are doing it? I ask this because it certainly took them a very long time, especially to have introduced a new product, then an extra 7 months later to launch it.

I wrote another thread but I think the duplication of the functions were by design. So when your Watch battery runs down you're not stuck waiting until it's charged up to continue doing something. You just pull your iPhone out and get on with what you're doing. It's like how your Mac, iPad and iPhone all do iMessages or phone calls now. I also think they did and dind't get into the market because of what competitors were doing lol. If you look at the last quarterly earnings the iPhone is selling like gangbusters and all their other products although lower sales have numbers the competitors would love to have. The competitors have been on the market for awhile now and yet none of their products are break out successes. So Apple didn't need to jump in because they are going to continue to make fists full of cash from their existing devices.
However on the other hand just because the competitors haven't made a breakout product yet doesn't mean it wont happen any time now. So Apple needs to jump in to get their product in the minds of consumers. It's what they do if you look back they are never first to market. They sit back and study what's on the market. Look at the flaws find better ways to do it and then come out with a "better" product. The timing has to be close to right though. You don't jump in early but if you jump in too late when another product has already taken hold then it's a battle to try and win those customers away.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's cool to get notifications on your wrist, but it's really not significantly more convenient than pulling out your phone, and acting on them on the watch is significantly harder, if not impossible.

The thing you're missing is that without the Watch, you tend to not even know you got a notification. Or if you do happen realize your iphone is ringing or vibrating, you have no idea what it's about until you look at it. On a Watch, that would simply take a glance and you wouldn't miss half your notifications.

I think it's up to the public to make a compelling reason of their own to buy one. Apple has marketed it well. People are aware.

What to you would be compelling? Apple has mentioned how it can tap your wrist for notifications and especially reminders. Track your health. Communicate with short replies or Siri. Answer phone calls. Install from an initial library of over 1000 third party apps. Play music. Control other connected devices. The list goes on.

But in your opinion, none of this is compelling? Your iphone can't tap your wrist. It's not always ready to use as the watch will be. The phone could be charging, in your coat, pocket, purse, laying on a counter, muted, etc. Your phone also can't track your health as well as a watch although I think Apple has to do better in this area.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
i feel like they want to launch it and gauge reviews. they know everyone that has an iphone loves their iphone but i think they want to hear the overwhelming review and make the marketing team work off of that.

its a new technology for them so all they can really do right now i feel is the typical apple feel good commercial with upbeat music. once its available to the masses then i think that you will see the few commercials with a description on what it can do.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The thing you're missing is that without the Watch, you tend to not even know you got a notification. Or if you do happen realize your iphone is ringing or vibrating, you have no idea what it's about until you look at it. On a Watch, that would simply take a glance and you wouldn't miss half your notifications.
I completely agree, and this is why I love my Pebble. But I don't think this is how the average person feels. I know it's not how the non-tech-nerds in my life feel.

I think it's up to the public to make a compelling reason of their own to buy one. Apple has marketed it well. People are aware.
I 100% agree that they have created awareness. But I don't think they have created buyers.

What to you would be compelling? Apple has mentioned how it can tap your wrist for notifications and especially reminders. Track your health. Communicate with short replies or Siri. Answer phone calls. Install from an initial library of over 1000 third party apps. Play music. Control other connected devices. The list goes on.

But in your opinion, none of this is compelling? Your iphone can't tap your wrist. It's not always ready to use as the watch will be. The phone could be charging, in your coat, pocket, purse, laying on a counter, muted, etc. Your phone also can't track your health as well as a watch although I think Apple has to do better in this area.
Again, I'm not speaking to what I find compelling. I love my Pebble for all these reasons and would love to have an Apple Watch. I don't think the general population will find these reasons compelling enough to spend $350 or more. I think the Apple Watch will sell well with tech nerds and early adopters, but I'm skeptical that it will be successful with a mainstream audience. I think it's going to end up in the same situation as Pebble and Android Wear, a niche product.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I can see the "not missing a notification" with the tap on the wrist as a nice feature, but I can also see that as being a negative if you get a lot of notifications, the constant tapping on the wrist could get annoying. If apple would allow on certain notifications to notify you (haven't seen if they are able to do that on the watch) that would be nice. That being said, I think for now it is just something "nice to have" and not necessarily a "I need it" like the iPhone seems to have on people.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can see the "not missing a notification" with the tap on the wrist as a nice feature, but I can also see that as being a negative if you get a lot of notifications, the constant tapping on the wrist could get annoying. If apple would allow on certain notifications to notify you (haven't seen if they are able to do that on the watch) that would be nice. That being said, I think for now it is just something "nice to have" and not necessarily a "I need it" like the iPhone seems to have on people.

Not quite what you want. But it appears you can have different notifications for the watch than what you have on your phone. I would like to see a VIP filter for Mail, Phone and iMessage. But it seems to be an all or nothing just like the phone.

Fast Forward to 3:35

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that Apple is failing to create a compelling use case for the Apple Watch. Hear me out.

First, let me say that I really like the idea of smartwatches. I've been using the Pebble for awhile now, and I really like it. That being said, I'm a tech nerd like most of the people on this site. In the past when a regular person asks me if they should get a smartwatch, my answer has always been, "If you don't absolutely know that you want one, then no you shouldn't." That's simply because there's been no need that a smartwatch fills. It's cool to get notifications on your wrist, but it's really not significantly more convenient than pulling out your phone, and acting on them on the watch is significantly harder, if not impossible.

I've been anxiously awaiting the Apple Watch because I expected Apple to change all that. Apple has always excelled at presenting a compelling use case to consumers, whether it's their various computers, the iPod, iPhone, or iPad. I thought once Apple makes a smartwatch it will be genuinely useful and fill a need, and at the same time it will improve all other smartwatches. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. I don't see where Apple has done that. They are presenting the same easily refuted arguments as Pebble and Samsung and Google. "It's cool; it's slightly more convenient;" etc. The Apple Watch does appear to be more capable than it's smartwatch competitors, but Apple doesn't seem to be effectively marketing it's capabilities. So it seems that we won't know if this is enough to justify it's purchase until people get them on their wrists and actually start using them.

I will say that Apple has very effectively created awareness for smartwatches. I've never gotten so many questions about my Pebble until after the Apple Watch unveiling.

So what do you think? Has Apple convinced you that you need an Apple watch? More importantly, have they convinced the non-tech-nerds in your life, like you mom and coworkers? Do you think the Apple watch will be successful outside of early adopter circles?

Far too many people don't have a "need" for a smartphone and yet millions of people have one. That tells me that many consumers do not buy certain technology gadgets based on "need". Everybody wants to feel important or want to be a part of the in-crowd. You can't convince me that a 5 year old child "needs" an iPhone. Having said that, Apple presented us with a reason to buy the  Watch. It is still up to us to decide if we should buy it or not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR