Apple Watch vs Pebble Time

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I mentioned in my other topic that I ordered a Pebble Time Steel. Did anyone else make this move? I ordered from Kickstarter late in the game but apparently their funding spiked during the Apple event. I think they needed around $500,000 to fund the project and ended up with over $20 million.

I wanted a stainless steel band to wear to work/out (I just didn't like the rubber band of the sport) and I couldn't justify the $1,000+ price tag. I think the Pebble Time will offer a lot of the same functionality while being much more affordable (not to mention 7-day battery life which is nice).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is easy for me I've never liked the Pebble since day one. It's just personal but Watch for me :D

Funny - I almost bought a Pebble years ago. A buddy of mine got one and I loved it. He got the original. I wanted a steel band (it always comes back to that) and when they launched their Steel line I almost took the plunge. Figured I should wait on Apple to see what they come up with. It worked out though. They announced the Pebble Time around the Apple Watch anyway.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Funny - I almost bought a Pebble years ago. A buddy of mine got one and I loved it. He got the original. I wanted a steel band (it always comes back to that) and when they launched their Steel line I almost took the plunge. Figured I should wait on Apple to see what they come up with. It worked out though. They announced the Pebble Time around the Apple Watch anyway.

Yeah for me I've always just known. I don't only look at the technology and software behind it I have to like the design too. It's like back in the day when my friends owned Blackberrys and Nokias I had the Motorolla Ming. It had a stylus was touchscren and the minute I saw it I wanted that phone. They weren't available through regular stores in Canada so I had to drive a pretty good distance to get one. Then about almost a year after I got it the first iPhone was announced and I knew I didn't want any other phone. Again it was never available in Canada so I had to get my friend to hop across the border and pick me one up for full price. I'm an early adopter and love technology but when the Pebble came out it just never wowed me and I feel the same way today.

wildphoenix24

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I actually ordered the Pebble Time, but since then I've been seriously considering getting the  watch. The Pebble's battery life is such an major selling point as I can totally see myself taking it with me for vacations and I love the concept of the smart straps and of course it is much more affordable . At the same time I feel that the  watch does a bit more and will integrate better with my iPhone. In addition, I've always been late when it comes to next generation technology so a first generation  watch might last me about 4 years before I think about purchasing another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually ordered the Pebble Time, but since then I've been seriously considering getting the  watch. The Pebble's battery life is such an major selling point as I can totally see myself taking it with me for vacations and I love the concept of the smart straps and of course it is much more affordable . At the same time I feel that the  watch does a bit more and will integrate better with my iPhone. In addition, I've always been late when it comes to next generation technology so a first generation  watch might last me about 4 years before I think about purchasing another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can totally understand where you're coming from. With pre-orders for the Apple Watch starting today, they keep looking better and better. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be sold on "wearables" so the Pebble Time should be a good trial run. If all goes well, I can always look at the next generation Apple Watch (whether that's next year or later on down the road).

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pebble Steel but I think the Apple Watch will be a better fit. Especially considering my iPhone 6+ likes to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to my Pebble.

scwleung

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I backed the original Pebble and have been using it for the past year. It's done well by me, but I find the screen to be a big hindrance (though it does extend the battery life). I backed the Pebble Time too, mostly because I like having the extra competition in the space. The Apple Watch is a better fit for me since I live inside the Apple eco-system and the Pebble line will never be able to meet my needs in terms of notifications and integration with iOS.

I pre-ordered the Apple Watch. My girlfriend (who uses an Android phone) will get the Pebble Time.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I backed the original Pebble and have been using it for the past year. It's done well by me, but I find the screen to be a big hindrance (though it does extend the battery life). I backed the Pebble Time too, mostly because I like having the extra competition in the space. The Apple Watch is a better fit for me since I live inside the Apple eco-system and the Pebble line will never be able to meet my needs in terms of notifications and integration with iOS.

I pre-ordered the Apple Watch. My girlfriend (who uses an Android phone) will get the Pebble Time.

Nice!! I think if/when 3rd party watch bands start coming out I would be more likely to switch to an Apple Watch. We'll see!

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
No way!! Everything from the OS to the hardware on that watch is pure ugly! I'd buy a My Little Pony watch before I ever buy a Pebble.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No way!! Everything from the OS to the hardware on that watch is pure ugly! I'd buy a My Little Pony watch before I ever buy a Pebble.

Plus there is way to much bezel on the Watch you can hardly tell there is any bezel.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

metreece

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Just before the Apple Watch came out, I bought the original Pebble for $79. I liked it so much that I decided to wait on the 2nd generation Apple Watch. Then I started getting problems with notifications that would stop coming to the Pebble from my 6 Plus. Re-pairing seemed to work until one day, I couldn't get it to do the LE pairing at all regardless of how much I wiped out the connections, reloaded the Pebble App, and rebooted the Pebble. So I took it back within my 30 day return window for a refund and have ordered an Apple Watch.

I saw the CNET review that said that sometimes notifications stop working on the Apple Watch too. I figure we are better off in the same eco system of Apple for possibility of notifications working better.

I haven't worn a watch in years but thanks to the Pebble, I realized how much I needed a smartwatch.

Anyone else having notification issues with their Apple Watch?

KingaSpades

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
There is no way that I'd get a Pebble with the Apple Watch already being ordered. It seems like the ripoff version of what Apple would do in every way. Like some cheap knockoff. Ordered a stainless steel Apple Watch.

XtoEvolution

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a Pebble Watch and preordered an apple watch. After playing with the apple watch in the store a little bit I can't wait to retire the Pebble. It was great for awhile, but seems pretty obsolete at this point.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro