So when they announced the Apple Watch I immediately wanted one. I've been holding off for years. After they announced the price points I was shocked. I was expecting around $500-$600. I'm looking at $1,000+ for an Apple Watch with a stainless steel band. Wondering what everyone else thinks about this?

Since the event I decided to order a Pebble Time Steel for $250. It'll be here in August. I just can't justify dropping that kind of cash (and I'm not even adding in AppleCare) on something that will be banged around.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    04-08-2015 11:43 AM
    Ya I've been back and forth. Currently have the original pebble which has been banged around. I prolly will still cave in and pre order
    04-08-2015 11:45 AM
    I think everyone will veiw the pricing differently. I think everyone makes their money and no one should be belittled for what they choose to spend it on. I'm not talking to you OP so don't take offense. I've just heard people around me at different points talking about how stupid people are to buy this and it gets on my nerves. I've owned an iPhone 2G, 3G, 4, 5, 5s & 6. Out of all my iPhones I have only bought 2 on contract for the subsidized price. Upfront it looks more expensive shelling out the cash but if the device does a, b, and c bringing convenience, enjoyment, etc to your life then that is what you're paying to get. It's the same difference between some who choose to rent while others pay a mortgage. Personally the cost is not exobitant to me but it may be to someone else.
    iLive an iLife likes this.
    04-08-2015 11:49 AM
    Good points. It comes down to the price for "New" tech but also taking that portability to the next level. With some it comes with a price point. But that that price gives you is when people jump on it. regardless if a new model will come out later on or not.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-08-2015 11:50 AM
    Well, Apple has never been 'cheap', even with their iPhone color, which was supposed to be the 'cheap' version. I do think the price is too high, but you're paying a premium for this being Apple. Not saying it's for everyone, like you say, there are others who do similar things for a lot less... so let's see how all other options compare once the watch is out. Maybe the features will be enough to warrant the higher asking price. Maybe it won't.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-08-2015 11:53 AM
    I think everyone will veiw the pricing differently. I think everyone makes their money and no one should be belittled for what they choose to spend it on. I'm not talking to you OP so don't take offense. I've just heard people around me at different points talking about how stupid people are to buy this and it gets on my nerves. I've owned an iPhone 2G, 3G, 4, 5, 5s & 6. Out of all my iPhones I have only bought 2 on contract for the subsidized price. Upfront it looks more expensive shelling out the cash but if the device does a, b, and c bringing convenience, enjoyment, etc to your life then that is what you're paying to get. It's the same difference between some who choose to rent while others pay a mortgage. Personally the cost is not exobitant to me but it may be to someone else.
    You summed it up perfectly and no offense taken! I agree, we all work hard for our pay checks and each person is entitled to spend it as they see fit. In all honesty, I COULD buy one but I don't see the value/don't want to spend that much on a piece of technology. I would never belittle or comment on someone else's purchase (if anything I would be jealous haha).

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-08-2015 11:56 AM
    Honestly, any watch over $25 is really just an upgrade over the basic watch. I have a $75 Fossil that I didn't need. Could have gone with the $10 Casio at Walmart, but I wanted something nicer looking and more fashionable. No different for this apple watch. You seem to make a distinction between a luxury item and a toy, and in the case of the apple watch, I would argue that they are the same thing.
    04-08-2015 12:22 PM
    You summed it up perfectly and no offense taken! I agree, we all work hard for our pay checks and each person is entitled to spend it as they see fit. In all honesty, I COULD buy one but I don't see the value/don't want to spend that much on a piece of technology. I would never belittle or comment on someone else's purchase (if anything I would be jealous haha).

Same here I have friends and family who own Android, own Pebble, own Canon DSLRs. I have never looked down on them if anything I'm intrigued and I'll check out their features. Just because it's not my personal choice doesn't mean that there aren't things it can do that I would love to have on my device, car, camera. When I get an Apple Watch I know there are tons of my friends and family that will want to see it. They still wont buy one but they will want to see all the things it can do.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    04-08-2015 12:33 PM
    Let's keep the discussion going!
    04-10-2015 10:50 PM
    Anyone else care to comment?
    04-12-2015 02:34 PM
    Apple has never really offered "affordable" products. That is why you hear people make the comment about paying an Apple Tax.

With that being said, I cannot say I think the lower-end Apple Watch models are overpriced. But then again, price is not much of a factor to me when I want something.
    04-12-2015 05:58 PM
    I think it all depends on what a individual feels comfortable spending.
    Keep in mind that all 3 do exactly the same thing.
    So what you are paying for outside the convenience of the accessory is the look of aluminum, steel or gold.
    My comfort level is the 42mm Sport Space Grey Black Rubber Band.
    Now the Edition Watch there are folks that have 10k -17k that's like me having $500. It's all relative.
    Look at any star athlete that gets fined 50k for something and they go and do it again.
    Your average person might get a speeding ticket for $150 and does it again. That $150 is like 50k to some wealthy individuals.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    iLive an iLife likes this.
    04-12-2015 06:52 PM
    Honestly, any watch over $25 is really just an upgrade over the basic watch. I have a $75 Fossil that I didn't need. Could have gone with the $10 Casio at Walmart, but I wanted something nicer looking and more fashionable. No different for this apple watch. You seem to make a distinction between a luxury item and a toy, and in the case of the apple watch, I would argue that they are the same thing.
    Very good point, but its just like our iPhones. You COULD get a cheap phone that makes calls and possibly texts. That serves the purpose of a phone. But we want the luxury that comes with having an iPhone. Same thing with the watch. Not saying the phone and watch are on the same playing field, but the rationale is when considering an Apple Watch as a luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-12-2015 08:18 PM
    I think it all depends on what a individual feels comfortable spending.
    Keep in mind that all 3 do exactly the same thing.
    So what you are paying for outside the convenience of the accessory is the look of aluminum, steel or gold.
    My comfort level is the 42mm Sport Space Grey Black Rubber Band.
    Now the Edition Watch there are folks that have 10k -17k that's like me having $500. It's all relative.
    Look at any star athlete that gets fined 50k for something and they go and do it again.
    Your average person might get a speeding ticket for $150 and does it again. That $150 is like 50k to some wealthy individuals.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Nice post, iEd. You're 100% right. It really is all relevant. I love the athlete example!

04-12-2015 08:23 PM