Screen protector

Shahzad Ghani

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Its really weird to buy a device because of its slim design but has to put bulky guards and protectors on it to make it safe but it is mandatory I guess.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh please no.

People have worn glass-faced wrist watches for centuries, and nobody has so far found the need for a case.

Unless you already wear a pocket protector and tape on your glasses, just give this idea a pass.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Screen protectors for phones were introduced back in the days of styluses, when there was a real risk of scratching the glass. Nowadays I guess there's an argument for using them if you like to putting your phone in your pocket with your keys, but otherwise they are no longer necessary. Fingers are made of soft flesh that will not scratch the screen. Given the effort phone manufacturers go to to create the perfect oleophobic surface for screens, it's a real shame to put a plastic film over top.

But to each his own. I was mainly reacting to that full-on Otterbox-like thing (the Bumper) that you linked. ;)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think unlike a regular watch the Apple Watch or any smart watch is perishable tech. So keeping it free of cosmetic wear and tear can be a factor in resale situations or just wanting to keep it mint.

A old antique watch with scratches adds to its look.
Look at current case and protection options for smartphones it's big business. People never put their old flip phones and candy bar style phones in cases.
Someone will probably come up with skins or frames for the Applewatch to change the color or look. Like a gold one giving the impression you have a Edition model or Steel model or frames or skins to match the bands.
Whoever jumps on this first wins from a potential money making aspect.
If I had the desire for design I'd be working on something right now.
10 years ago someone saying that cell phone cases would be big business someday may have been thought of as being nuts.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
But people haven't been prodding the glass face of a watch with their fingers for centuries.

Or spending $350 or more for the watch. My glass-faced watches have always gathered a scratch or two in their lives...but I have never spent nearly the amount of money Apple is asking for the iWatch...so no big deal.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a full screen protector (the Steinheil Flex) and 2 low profile cases from Spigen while on sale for 30% off. I got these because of possible resale value down the line. I live in a small house that I'm constantly working on and constantly bumping into things. My Microsoft Band is pretty beat up after 2 1/2 months of constant use. I'll probably take the case off at work but have it on around the house.

Last edited:

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My Space Gray Sport watch got a few small scratches in the display over just the first two weeks, then came the day i was picking up a box in my office and got a little off balance and my wrist touched the wall. Big, deep scratch right in the center of the display! Not happy. So even though i had never planned on putting at screen protector or case on my watch, i have them on it right now. So unfortunately there is a need, even if your not a construction worker. :(. The display scratched very easily vs the iPhone screen.

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
In regards to the Sport model, can see the justification for a screen protector given its material and the fact that a watch is just more prone to damage than something like a phone- more exposed to your environment, more likely to rub against foreign objects with considerable force, etc.

That being said, there is literally zero market in protecting comparably priced non-smart watches.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I put the Skinomi Tech shield on my Watch Sport because I am in the gym everyday and wanted a bit of protection.

The Skinomi skin is perfect. Edge to edge, crystal clear and they give you 6 incase you mess up the install. It is wet install and after the 24 hour drying period it is hard to tell there is anything on the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR