The Apple Watch can't come soon enough. From the last presentation I did not see a demo on any keyboard, and many of the commands can be done thru Siri, which is awesome. If the Watch has no keyboard probably cuz of its small display screen, would we rely solely on Siri to compose our texts and emails, other than the limited templates? I have never own an IPhone, is Siri at least 80% accurate? If so, it would suffice not needing a keyboard for me.
    03-17-2015 12:36 PM
    Most of the stuff you'll do like text messaging will be done via your iPhone... the Watch is, in part - an interface accessory for the phone.
    03-17-2015 12:41 PM
    Most of the stuff you'll do like text messaging will be done via your iPhone... the Watch is, in part - an interface accessory for the phone.
    Thanks. Bummer though, I was hoping not needing to pull out my phone. I thought from the presentation you can at least use Siri if a keyboard is not available.
    03-17-2015 12:50 PM
    It may be possible to reply to a text message via the watch - it's just that it will do it through your phone - not as a stand alone device.
    03-17-2015 01:14 PM
    "Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who its from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."
    From  Watch page Apple.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-17-2015 01:24 PM
    "Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who it’s from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."
    Indeed... but the Watch can't do any of that by itself... needs the iPhone in WfFi proximity to the phone...
    Ariyala likes this.
    03-17-2015 01:28 PM
    I think the OP got the impression one needs to pull out their phone to reply to a message.

03-17-2015 01:45 PM
    "Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who its from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."

Thanks for the info. Regarding the "dictate a reply", I assume that is done thru Siri and not a keyboard? And back to my original questions, how accurate is Siri regarding dictation?

And you're right, I know the Watch has to be within close distance or tethered as it is not standalone, although it's great we don't need to pull out our phone.
    03-17-2015 01:55 PM
    Yes no keyboard on the Watch. I feel Siri is very accurate.

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-17-2015 02:25 PM
    very accurate, for me anyway..
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-17-2015 02:30 PM
    Indeed... but the Watch can't do any of that by itself... needs the iPhone in WfFi proximity to the phone...
    I have a question about this.

In the keynote, one of the speakers said when he goes home, he could put his phone down (& not use bluetooth) & still use the watch over wifi.

My question is this, will the watch still operate (at it's full capabilities) if the watch & phone are on the same wifi network?

For instance, at work if phone is in the office & watch is down the hall in the conference room.....will the watch still work? (if they're both on same wifi network)

Thanks.
    03-17-2015 05:51 PM
    If the Watch makes its own connection to the wifi hotspot - it should work... in theory... from down a hall, in another room... but if the Watch and iPhone are hooking up via their own ad hoc wifi connection between the two devices - range would depend on distance between the two devices... performance on that will need to be tested...
    Rainwater50 likes this.
    03-17-2015 05:56 PM
    If the Watch makes its own connection to the wifi hotspot - it should work... in theory... from down a hall, in another room... but if the Watch and iPhone are hooking up via their own ad hoc wifi connection between the two devices - range would depend on distance between the two devices... performance on that will need to be tested...
    Thanks!
    03-17-2015 06:03 PM
    I understand we won't be able to reply to emails on the watch using Siri or dictating, just read emails... Is this correct??
    03-18-2015 12:10 PM
    I understand we won't be able to reply to emails on the watch using Siri or dictating, just read emails... Is this correct??
    Mail
    When email comes right to your wrist, its more accessible and easy to manage quickly. You can read an email, flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open it on your iPhone, where you can type a response.
    From Apple.com  Watch page.

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-18-2015 12:15 PM
    03-18-2015 12:39 PM
    Mail
    When email comes right to your wrist, its more accessible and easy to manage quickly. You can read an email, flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open it on your iPhone, where you can type a response.
    From Apple.com  Watch page.

Thanks. Bummer, I was hoping we can read and reply without needing to pull out our phone. For me, one of the great things about a smartwatch is the ease to retrieve info faster and seamlessly...pulling out our phone would be an added step and redundant. I would think Siri, thru the builtin speaker would be able to work on the watch to dictate messages, no?

So Guacho's assumption is correct?
    03-18-2015 01:04 PM
    03-18-2015 01:11 PM
    Thanks. Bummer, I was hoping we can read and reply without needing to pull out our phone. For me, one of the great things about a smartwatch is the ease to retrieve info faster and seamlessly...pulling out our phone would be an added step and redundant. I would think Siri, thru the builtin speaker would be able to work on the watch to dictate messages, no?

So Guacho's assumption is correct?

Messages and email are two different things.

You can respond to a message via the Watch.

You can't respond to a email via the Watch.

According to the Apple site.

21stNow and Sammuel1973 like this.
    03-18-2015 01:19 PM
    Thanks. Looks like the answer is no...we have to pull our phone out to reply to text messages and emails. Again, it seems odd that we need to cuz you would think at least Siri can do so via the watch. Oh well.
    03-18-2015 01:22 PM
    That stuff can still be coming... just won't be available at launch...
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-18-2015 01:23 PM
    Thanks. Looks like the answer is no...we have to pull our phone out to reply to text messages and emails. Again, it seems odd that we need to cuz you would think at least Siri can do so via the watch. Oh well.
    You can reply to a message via the watch.
    Not emails.
    You should go to Apples website it's all right there.

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-18-2015 01:26 PM
    http://www.imore.com/everything-you-...ut-apple-watch
    Everything you need to know about the Apple Watch via @iMore
    Sorry KCH already posted this. But it's great information.

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    03-18-2015 01:36 PM
    Messages and email are two different things.

You can respond to a message via the Watch.

You can't respond to a email via the Watch.

According to the Apple site.
    Thanks. I went to the Apple site, and have several more concerns about the Watch, other than not being able to reply email directly from it.

Battery life. It's advisable to only take quick calls, not long or normal calls, on the Watch. I guess the concern of short battery life?

The "Start on Apple Watch. Continue on iPhone." puzzles me because it is indirectly telling me to do most things on the phone, not on the watch. In other words, don't rely heavily on the the Watch. Am I interpreting that correctly? I guess the no reply on email does make sense now, but oh well...

My take away from the site is not to expect too much as it's the 1st generation, I suppose.
    03-18-2015 08:08 PM
    Well as far as quick calls say you are picking someone up and just want to say I'm outside lets go something like that. For me holding my wrist up for a long call is a pain.
    The watch is just a companion piece to the phone like the phone was a companion piece to the Mac.
    Each device does similar tasks but some better than others.
    Will battery life be better on the next watch? Probably and better on each one following.
    That's tech.

03-18-2015 08:51 PM
35 12