Replying to texts and emails can be done via Siri and possible keyboard?

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Watch can't come soon enough. From the last presentation I did not see a demo on any keyboard, and many of the commands can be done thru Siri, which is awesome. If the Watch has no keyboard probably cuz of its small display screen, would we rely solely on Siri to compose our texts and emails, other than the limited templates? I have never own an IPhone, is Siri at least 80% accurate? If so, it would suffice not needing a keyboard for me.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Most of the stuff you'll do like text messaging will be done via your iPhone... the Watch is, in part - an interface accessory for the phone.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Most of the stuff you'll do like text messaging will be done via your iPhone... the Watch is, in part - an interface accessory for the phone.
Thanks. Bummer though, I was hoping not needing to pull out my phone. I thought from the presentation you can at least use Siri if a keyboard is not available.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It may be possible to reply to a text message via the watch - it's just that it will do it through your phone - not as a stand alone device.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who it?s from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."
From  Watch page Apple.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
"Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who it’s from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."
Indeed... but the Watch can't do any of that by itself... needs the iPhone in WfFi proximity to the phone... :)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP got the impression one needs to pull out their phone to reply to a message.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
"Apple Watch gives you a gentle tap to let you know when you have a new message. Just raise your wrist to see who it?s from and to read the full message. Respond with a preset message, dictate a reply, or record an audio message. You can even send an animated emoji."

Thanks for the info. Regarding the "dictate a reply", I assume that is done thru Siri and not a keyboard? And back to my original questions, how accurate is Siri regarding dictation?

And you're right, I know the Watch has to be within close distance or tethered as it is not standalone, although it's great we don't need to pull out our phone.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Indeed... but the Watch can't do any of that by itself... needs the iPhone in WfFi proximity to the phone... :)

I have a question about this.

In the keynote, one of the speakers said when he goes home, he could put his phone down (& not use bluetooth) & still use the watch over wifi.

My question is this, will the watch still operate (at it's full capabilities) if the watch & phone are on the same wifi network?

For instance, at work if phone is in the office & watch is down the hall in the conference room.....will the watch still work? (if they're both on same wifi network)

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the Watch makes its own connection to the wifi hotspot - it should work... in theory... from down a hall, in another room... but if the Watch and iPhone are hooking up via their own ad hoc wifi connection between the two devices - range would depend on distance between the two devices... performance on that will need to be tested...

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
If the Watch makes its own connection to the wifi hotspot - it should work... in theory... from down a hall, in another room... but if the Watch and iPhone are hooking up via their own ad hoc wifi connection between the two devices - range would depend on distance between the two devices... performance on that will need to be tested...

Thanks!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I understand we won't be able to reply to emails on the watch using Siri or dictating, just read emails... Is this correct??

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand we won't be able to reply to emails on the watch using Siri or dictating, just read emails... Is this correct??

Mail
When email comes right to your wrist, it?s more accessible and easy to manage quickly. You can read an email, flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open it on your iPhone, where you can type a response.
From Apple.com  Watch page.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Mail
When email comes right to your wrist, it?s more accessible and easy to manage quickly. You can read an email, flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open it on your iPhone, where you can type a response.
From Apple.com  Watch page.

Thanks. Bummer, I was hoping we can read and reply without needing to pull out our phone. For me, one of the great things about a smartwatch is the ease to retrieve info faster and seamlessly...pulling out our phone would be an added step and redundant. I would think Siri, thru the builtin speaker would be able to work on the watch to dictate messages, no?

So Guacho's assumption is correct?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Bummer, I was hoping we can read and reply without needing to pull out our phone. For me, one of the great things about a smartwatch is the ease to retrieve info faster and seamlessly...pulling out our phone would be an added step and redundant. I would think Siri, thru the builtin speaker would be able to work on the watch to dictate messages, no?

So Guacho's assumption is correct?

Messages and email are two different things.

You can respond to a message via the Watch.

You can't respond to a email via the Watch.

According to the Apple site.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR