Apple Watch, Pebble Watch, Android Wear or Samsung's Tizen Watches?

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Since Apple users are limited to the new Apple Watch and Pebble for now, which would you buy? And if you're a Pebble owner already, will you be buying the Apple Watch since it has more features? Or would you wait for the release of Android Wear IOS (if that rumor is true)? I would think very few Apple users would jump ship altogether to Android Wear or Samsung's Tizen watches cuz of pricing, and you would have to change platform completely, as some of the reasons.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I were in market to buy a smart watch, I'd definitely purchase the Watch. I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to not buy something that I know would work seamlessly with the products I already own. If I was invested in the Android ecosystem, the same would apply, i.e., I'd get a Pebble watch or an Android based smart watch.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
 Watch for me if I was getting a smart watch. Pair and Play lets go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vic Rivera

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I like the apple watch and the pebble. In my line of work I don't think a 400 watch is a good idea. So , I'll start with the pebble.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I go back and forth. Currently leaning Pebble Time. May get both.

If I get an Apple Watch, I want to get the stainless steel one.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a pebble right now. Im planning on getting the  sport watch. I did back the pebble time steel when it was announced but canceled it due to the  watch. The pebble is great and I really look forward to the new pebble time and what the community and developers come up with. The one deciding factor for me was that no smart watch will have the access to the iPhone and iOS that apple has. It will more likely have functionality than pebble or even if android wear comes to iOS.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
If I were in market to buy a smart watch, I'd definitely purchase the Watch. I'm too invested in the Apple ecosystem to not buy something that I know would work seamlessly with the products I already own. If I was invested in the Android ecosystem, the same would apply, i.e., I'd get a Pebble watch or an Android based smart watch.
For me, I have the Samsung Gear S, which greatest feature is the standalone, although the battery barely lasts a full day of heavy use: mp3, reading the news, replying to emails, and making calls & texts. I was thinking of the Pebble since it works with Android, but it has very limited features, although I heard it has exceptional battery life. I may get the Apple Watch sports edition, especially if or when Apple has the Android trade in program; I want to get the 5S to pair with the new Apple Watch.

I am curious though Apple's biggest competition may not be from Android Wear or Samsung Tizen, should be the Pebble cuz of its lower price, and it works on both IOS and Android.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, I have the Samsung Gear S, which greatest feature is the standalone, although the battery barely lasts a full day of heavy use: mp3, reading the news, replying to emails, and making calls & texts. I was thinking of the Pebble since it works with Android, but it has very limited features, although I heard it has exceptional battery life. I may get the Apple Watch sports edition, especially if or when Apple has the Android trade in program; I want to get the 5S to pair with the new Apple Watch.

I am curious though Apple's biggest competition may not be from Android Wear or Samsung Tizen, should be the Pebble cuz of its lower price, and it works on both IOS and Android.

It's quite possible that Pebble watch could be the Watch's primary competitor. The company has definitely sold a good deal of smart watches over the past year, and if more people discover that a Pebble watch is sufficient for their wants and/or needs at a fraction of the cost of buying an Watch, AND if they a secure enough within themselves to not follow the crowd then sales of the Pebble watch could increase, in my opinion.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
It's quite possible that Pebble watch could be the Watch's primary competitor. The company has definitely sold a good deal of smart watches over the past year, and if more people discover that a Pebble watch is sufficient for their wants and/or needs at a fraction of the cost of buying an Watch, AND if they a secure enough within themselves to not follow the crowd then sales of the Pebble watch could increase, in my opinion.
I read somewhere that Pebble is second in sales Quarter 4 behind Samsung with wearables; 2.4 million and 700K respectively. I think the Pebble really has benefited in the last 2 years when other major makers entered the wearable narket. I never heard of it before, and they are smart to be compatible with 2 platforms. Many of my Apple friends have the Pebble, but they are heavily considering the Apple Watch cuz it has much more featurs, and they are getting more bored with the Pebble.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They're all ugly and that's what stopping me from getting any of them.

But I would avoid both the Apple Watch and Samsung's Smart Watches.

They are so limited in Device Compatibility and Cost so much that they effectively lock you to that OEM's specific devices.

Since switching from an iPhone to anything else at that point would mean replacing both the phone and the watch, which almost doubles the cost of the smart watch in that situation.

I'm been eying a Microsoft Band. I like the way it looks. Different, but still somewhat classy and not a smart watch per se, but still offers some of the benefits. More importantly, it works with almost anything so if I decide to platform hop, I don't get punished for it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft Band now that looks horrible. Looks like something you find in the check out aisle at Lowes with the mini flashlights for $3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyesopen1111

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I think that there is a great chance that iPhones will be able to work well with Android Wear smartwatches. If that pans out, I'll have to take a close look at the latest LG smartwatch as a potential competitor, because I like the styling of a circular watch that has a 2.5 day battery. Huawei also showed off a very nice smartwatch at MWC.

But let's be honest: if the Apple Watch wows me in person, I'll probably go ahead and fork over the cash!