Not sure if this has been brought up and if so I apologize.

When wearing the Apple Watch does anyone know if it needs physical contact with the skin? I know when contact is made its like a fingerprint for the watch. I wear my watch loose so will that work or will the watch have to be flush to the skin?
    03-15-2015 06:10 PM
    I assume your referring to the heart rate monitor feature?

I would think it needs to be always contacting the skin to get the pulse. Just an assumption though
    03-15-2015 06:20 PM
    Thanks but actually I was referring to the use of Apple Pay. Sorry I was not more specific.
    03-15-2015 06:25 PM
    I'm going to guess the top of your wrist isn't going to play a real identifiable part in the use of Apple Pay.
    03-15-2015 07:18 PM
    Not sure how it will fit on your wrist, but there will surely be no security to Apple Pay for your iWatch. I guess that will be a pressing vulnerability

Sent from my iPhone 6+ on Tapatalk
    03-15-2015 07:33 PM
    They had originally said (last Sept) that you would authorize the watch to use ApplePay from your iPhone and this authorization would need to be renewed whenever the watch lost contact with your wrist. I don't recall them saying anything at the latest keynote though.
    03-15-2015 08:01 PM
    They had originally said (last Sept) that you would authorize the watch to use ApplePay from your iPhone and this authorization would need to be renewed whenever the watch lost contact with your wrist. I don't recall them saying anything at the latest keynote though.
    That's what I was wondering. Would it need to have direct contact with the skin.
    Last edited by zerog46; 03-15-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-15-2015 08:08 PM
    I'm pretty sure that I have read that the watch does biometric validation as part of Apply Pay. If I'm right, then yes, you would need to be wearing it.

I've also read that functions of the watch like notifications turn off when you're not wearing it, to conserve battery life. That might be a second reason why Apply Pay won't work unless worn.
    03-15-2015 09:38 PM
    03-15-2015 09:52 PM
    So I'm thinking wearing a watch loose will cause it to lose any functionality provided by the four sensors on the back, including Apple Pay (you'll have to enter a PIN to use Apple Pay each time the watch loses contact with your wrist).
    03-15-2015 09:55 PM
    If you look at the sensor array on the bottom of the watch, you'll see it bulges out. I suspect you're supposed to wear the watch tightly enough to keep that array pressed firmly against your skin. That will permit the sensor to take your pulse periodically to confirm connectivity.

When you first put on the watch, you'll enter either a PIN in the iPhone's Watch app, or use Touch ID to validate. After that, all you have to do for  Pay is double press the button in the side of the watch to pop up the pay app on the watch, which will use the credentials stored in the watch's firmware and the NFC chip in the watch to communicate with the retail store's  Pay terminal.  Pay will work in this scenario even if you left your iPhone in the car and connectivity to the watch was broken. As long as the sensor array on the bottom of the watch remains in contact with your skin, you're fine.

You may recall that when you set up  Pay on your iPhone 6, that it stored the authenticated credentials for your credit cards in the special secure enclave in the iPhone's processor chip. Your watch will have this same secure enclave in its processor. When you set up  Pay on the watch, new authenticated credentials for your credit cards will be stored there, as well. That's why you won't need your iPhone to use  Pay with your watch, after it's set up. That's also why older iPhone 5's, which don't have the processor's secure enclave, will work with the watch.
    03-19-2015 04:24 AM