What colour is space grey?

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Strange question I know, but on the Apple web site, the space grey Apple Watch Sport looks black. (Seems I don't have a high enough post count to post the link, but it's not hard to find.)

But my "space grey" iPhone 6 is a much lighter, silver-grey colour. It looks completely different.

I haven't been able to find any clear pictures of the space grey sport other than Apple's.

Does anyone know what the colour really looks like?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Expect in real life, to the eye to look like the color of the iPhone... until you see one for real, and it looks different... :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The thing is the Space Grey on the phone is totally different from that of the watch. Space Grey is a very loose term given.

Cap_172R

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Strange question I know, but on the Apple web site, the space grey Apple Watch Sport looks black. (Seems I don't have a high enough post count to post the link, but it's not hard to find.)

But my "space grey" iPhone 6 is a much lighter, silver-grey colour. It looks completely different.

I haven't been able to find any clear pictures of the space grey sport other than Apple's.

Does anyone know what the colour really looks like?

Best way to describe it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFM8FlMrBPs

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Well dang, that looked positively black to me, again completely unlike the silver-grey on my iPhone 6.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see one in a store. :rolleyes:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well dang, that looked positively black to me, again completely unlike the silver-grey on my iPhone 6.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can see one in a store. :rolleyes:

That's probably a good idea...historically, the heavily saturated marketing videos that show the products kind of skew the color of the devices. When the 5S was first shown in gold, it looked REALLY gold...but upon actual encounter with the color in real life, the color was much more subtle.

I think this picture gives you a good idea that it definitely is NOT "black", but actually space grey like the iPhone's/iPad's we've had for a few years now...

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 3.52.28 PM.png

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Kinda reminds me of charcoal, at least on the Watch. On the iPhone, it looks like charcoal that's been in a lit grill for about a half-hour. At least to me.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
That's probably a good idea...historically, the heavily saturated marketing videos that show the products kind of skew the color of the devices. When the 5S was first shown in gold, it looked REALLY gold...but upon actual encounter with the color in real life, the color was much more subtle.

I think this picture gives you a good idea that it definitely is NOT "black", but actually space grey like the iPhone's/iPad's we've had for a few years now...

View attachment 78709

So this image from Apple shows the problem. See how different the colour for the iPhone 5S is from the iPhone 6 colour, although both are allegedly space grey. And see how different they both are from the image of the phone above. The iPhone 6 image is actually pretty close to how my phone looks.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 12.21.09 PM.png

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Nice one. So the watch is probably also that silver grey, not the very dark grey in the image you posted above. Thanks.

(Just to be clear, on my display, the watch image looks almost black, and the phone image looks silvery-grey. Maybe we are not seeing the same thing.)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice one. So the watch is probably also that silver grey, not the very dark grey in the image you posted above. Thanks.

(Just to be clear, on my display, the watch image looks almost black, and the phone image looks silvery-grey. Maybe we are not seeing the same thing.)

You're screen is not showing you the colors properly...the pictures i posted above show the two phones in identical color. In some pictures space grey seems darker, just like the watch, but it will be the same color as the iPhone's and iPad's that are out right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So this image from Apple shows the problem. See how different the colour for the iPhone 5S is from the iPhone 6 colour, although both are allegedly space grey. And see how different they both are from the image of the phone above. The iPhone 6 image is actually pretty close to how my phone looks.

View attachment 78742

All I know is this: The Space Grey color on my iPhone 5 is noticeably darker than that of my iPhone 5S, and the color of my iPhone 5S is almost on par with that of my iPhone 6 Plus. It's "slightly" darker.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Remember the 5 didn't have "space gray". I forget what they called it but it was a much darker slate gray color. Then there was the issue of it getting scratched up to easy, so the 5S was the lighter space gray.

Ahhhh. True indeed....;)....Thanks for the reminder.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW