Thanks for the app I can't delete

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The difference is with Android, you can root and remove what you don't want. With Apple, you can jailbreak when there is a jailbreak but can't always remove what Apple forces on you.

You can even get rid of TouchWiz completely on Android.

In practice, not every Android device can be rooted as easily, you do need to find the right tool for it and hope that it doesn't screw anything up. My mum has a special edition ASUS tablet and it wasn't quite as straightforward to root it. Not to mention that rooting has repercussions for your warranty in some countries. I think jailbreaking and rooting are more ‘alike’ than some people would like to admit and it's difficult/risky/bothersome enough for most people to not even attempt it. For all practical purposes, you're stuck with the preloaded software on Android, not to mention that removing system-level applications (which are also hardware-related) are not as easy to disable and replace, unless you install a completely different distro of Android, like Cyanogenmod.

Limegrntaln

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Im going to go ahead and say they're using the app for advertising. I seriously doubt that an app that allows you to setup  watch, is going to be permanent forever. This will be a setting soon. Its purely for advertising, at this point.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Im going to go ahead and say they're using the app for advertising. I seriously doubt that an app that allows you to setup  watch, is going to be permanent forever. This will be a setting soon. Its purely for advertising, at this point.

I like to think that the marketing folks at Apple know what they're doing. I'm confident the decision to release an app was well thought out and they went for it in spite of the backlash they must have foreseen from some corners of the internet. Surely they're aware that pulling the app just after the watch release and suddenly integrating the set-up into the settings app would backfire even worse. They can't be that thick. Therefore I disagree with you. The app won't go anywhere anytime soon.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Surely they're aware that pulling the app just after the watch release and suddenly integrating the set-up into the settings app would backfire even worse. They can't be that thick. Therefore I disagree with you. The app won't go anywhere anytime soon.
I believe it to be an attempt to get through to people that this thing is more than just a timepiece, but a companion device to be used in tandem with your iPhone to expand it's capabilities past what's been possible with the iPhone in it's current form factor.

MultiPlatt

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have at least 11 apps that have been installed by Apple that I will never use. Yes I tucked them into a folder so I do not see them but they are still taking up space on my phone. It is good to know that apple is just like the rest of they platforms when it comes to adding apps some could care less about.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have at least 11 apps that have been installed by Apple that I will never use. Yes I tucked them into a folder so I do not see them but they are still taking up space on my phone. It is good to know that apple is just like the rest of they platforms when it comes to adding apps some could care less about.

You DON'T have to use Apple devices, if you find the "bloat" to be egregious.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I don't mind the app, personally. However, when I originally saw it I wondered why they didn't integrate the Watch settings into the iPhone settings. But I do agree, this is for marketing as well. I don't use all the apps included, but they're there... Maybe one day I'll find them useful.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It amazes me that Newsstand is still on the iPhone. Everyone I know and everyone I've heard of do not use it. Everyone tucks it in a folder. So why is it still there? It must be lucrative for someone.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For me, I don't mind the pre-installed apps as long as I can unistall them at my free will or deactivate them or move them to a folder. I can understand though why it can be annoying to do it all over again after a phone reset...or if there are too many. Annoying yes, but not the end of the world.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well now, all the Newsstand users are finally speaking up. So not everyone hides the app in the "unused" folder.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
You guys crack me up. Having the apple watch app forced on the iPhone with the update is clear and utter advertising. Is it a problem? Uhhh not a major one. Like others have said tuck it away. Should have apple forced it on us? We don't really have a choice so what does it matter?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73